Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Advanced Airbags???

Do all cars w/ advanced airbags have the "no touching" rule for the passenger seat?

I hear about it here a lot, but while we were out car-shopping, I looked through the owner's manual for the new VW we're planning to buy and could find NO prohibition on it. The salesperson said the sensors for the airbag are only in the bottom seat cushion, so touching the seatback shouldn't matter (I took what he said w/ a grain of salt b/c he's trying to sell me car and insisted on actually reading the manual). After reading both the airbag and child seat installation sections word-by-word, we could find nothing stating the prohibition.

We finally tried the behind the passenger seat install and if braced, the radian does fit (it's tight, but doable). The airbag sensor stayed off even with DD in her carseat, but did turn the airbag on as soon as one of us sat in the front passenger seat. To our (untrained) eyes, bracing the radian on the back of the passenger seat did not affect the airbag sensor. However, if it can't touch, then a Radian won't fit behind the passenger.

If not all advanced airbags have that prohibition, what are other manufacturers that allow touching/bracing even w/ advanced air bags?

On a semi-related note, do the rear side airbags help or hinder child passenger safety? (the car we're looking at has 6 standard airbags, but the last 2, the rear side-impact airbags, are an option)

TIA
    K (9/07) 65 lbs, 55" & E (7/09) 60lbs, 51", GHD / bone age delay
    2017 Subaru WRX: K - Olli, E - Vivo
    2014 Subaru Forester: K - Recaro Performance Booster, E - FF Britax Frontier
    Other Cars/Travel: K - Incognito, E - HBTB w/SS
    Xtra Seats we don't use anymore: RSTV, CARES, 2nd Britax Frontier

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Advanced Airbags???

Anyone???
    K (9/07) 65 lbs, 55" & E (7/09) 60lbs, 51", GHD / bone age delay
    2017 Subaru WRX: K - Olli, E - Vivo
    2014 Subaru Forester: K - Recaro Performance Booster, E - FF Britax Frontier
    Other Cars/Travel: K - Incognito, E - HBTB w/SS
    Xtra Seats we don't use anymore: RSTV, CARES, 2nd Britax Frontier

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

The restriction for not-touching with advanced airbags is totally dependent on each manufacturer - there's no across-the-board rule, so it's entirely possible that the manual for the car you test-drove was correct.

Airbags in rear seating positions are the same way - depends on what type they are and what the manual says. There is some evidence that side-curtain airbags do provide some protection to children in carseats & boosters, and since side-curtain airbags deploy very differently than frontal-airbags, there's no risk with installing seats in those seating positions.

However, the number one rule is always, ALWAYS read and follow the vehicle manual.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

5. Thank You from:

I agree- It's quite possible that manufacturers use different types of sensors for their airbags, so the only way to know what is allowed is to check your owner's manual.