Proper harness height question

mrswh

So I know the harness height rule is at or above the shoulders for FF. Does it matter how much above the shoulders? I have my kids' set at the lowest slot that fits the requirements. But . . . I have my DS(4) every afternoon and would love to be able to drive his friends places. His friends could sit in DD(6)'s seat (Frontier 85) but is it OK to leave the harness set at her position? The Frontier does have the no-rethread harness but I would still have to uninstall and reinstall the seat to change it - and then uninstall and reinstall again to change it back for DD. I'm trying to think of the danger of having the harness height too high - would the straps dig into their neck in an accident?

Thanks for any insight! :)

ADS

Mae

I thought I read somewhere (or learned somewhere) that the straps shouldn't go above the ears?

Pixels

The Radian, which is the seat being described in the other thread, has the foam throughout the seat. The Frontier only has foam in the headrest area, so if kiddo's head isn't on the headrest, kiddo gets no protection from it.

I would do it with the Radian or another seat that has foam throughout. I wouldn't do it with a seat like the Frontier.

Pixels

I thought I read somewhere (or learned somewhere) that the straps shouldn't go above the ears?

This doesn't bother me. Not too long ago, the only slots that were reinforced for FFing were the top slots. So when you turned your 1 and 20 child FFing, the harness had to be moved to the top slots.

mrswh

The Radian, which is the seat being described in the other thread, has the foam throughout the seat. The Frontier only has foam in the headrest area, so if kiddo's head isn't on the headrest, kiddo gets no protection from it.

I would do it with the Radian or another seat that has foam throughout. I wouldn't do it with a seat like the Frontier.

Thanks, I will have to peek and see exactly where the foam is in relation to the kiddo. If the child's head is as high as the EPS, is that a good test for whethe it's OK for him/her to ride in the current harness position?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC