Crash test videos of rear-facing vehicle seats?

mommy2zander+baby

Senior Community Member
So the thread about the volvo rear-facing seat (& talk of the 2010 swivel caravan captain chairs) reminds me of the wagon my parents drove when we were kids with the rear-facing seat in the back...

Anyone know of any crash test videos of these rear-facing vehicle seats?

There are NO carseats that can be safely used in these rear-facing vehicle seats, right?

Thanks! :D

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
In my tech class, we watched a video of 2 kids sitting in a rear-facing, third row, station wagon seat. The car was hit from behind and the 2 kids flew out the back window.

mommy2zander+baby

Senior Community Member
So why are these rear seats being added to volvo's &
swivel seats being added to 2010 Dodge Caravans??

If (we know) they are dangerous, why are they still being introduced?
Expecially in a volvo? I thought they were known for safety?

& the people seemed so excited about them in the Volvo post
or were they joking & I misunderstood??

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So why are these rear seats being added to volvo's &
swivel seats being added to 2010 Dodge Caravans??

If (we know) they are dangerous, why are they still being introduced?
Expecially in a volvo? I thought they were known for safety?

& the people seemed so excited about them in the Volvo post
or were they joking & I misunderstood??

There's a HUGE difference between aftermarket add ons to a cargo space, and a designated vehicle seat in a passenger space. Volvo has tested and designed the tar out of their own seats in their own vehicles and they are safe. I assume the same thing of the new Chrysler. But there are lots of aftermarket seat brands that can be bolted in that don't really have to meet standards (ff, lapbelts, no head support...seriously...). Couple that with lame laws and lack of enforcement about kids buckling up in back seats, and the potential for injury is quite high. For those of us who use seats properly, we are going to be better off rearfacing :) (and that doesn't mean installing carseats on rearfacing seats or using seats beyond their tested stated limits, of course)

:)

Nooknookmom2

My parents had a wagon w/ the rear facing bench seat. We were rear ended in Chicago on Lake Shore drive once, the guy didn't notice that he was going like 50 in the *turn lane*. Luckily we had our belts on or we would have gone through the window.

I remember jumping out and yelling at him for his driving skills (I was only 15), really ticked me off that I could've died! Grrrr....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC