98 Jeep Cherokee Classic & MyRide...

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Has anyone had any issues with a 98 Jeep Cherokee Classic and a MyRide forward facing install?

Center, with a lap only, locking latchplate...the latchplate rests just at the curve of the belt path. Not in, not fully out. Twisting the buckle stalk helped some, but not enough even with 3 full turns.

It was secure, but I don't like it.

We tried outboard, that was a no go too. The belts do not lock at the retractor, and the light locking latchplate wasn't holding. Locking clip would be right at the curve of the belt path.

Child is within the limits for rf'ing but adamantly refuse.

Any suggestions? Can the belt be flipped, even if it's interfering at the belt path?

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Can the belt be flipped, even if it's interfering at the belt path?

If you can then compress the seat down enough, it's worth a try. In my Astro this is what happened with the Radian FF install, but once I flipped the latchplate and REALLY compressed the seat, it buckled and ended up just outside the belt path.

If that doesn't work, I'd move it outboard and try flipping that latchplate, or let the locking clip be a bit father from the latchplate than 1" so it's completely inside the belt path. Not ideal, but the best install you can get, yk?

CTPDMom

If you can then compress the seat down enough, it's worth a try. In my Astro this is what happened with the Radian FF install, but once I flipped the latchplate and REALLY compressed the seat, it buckled and ended up just outside the belt path.

If that doesn't work, I'd move it outboard and try flipping that latchplate, or let the locking clip be a bit father from the latchplate than 1" so it's completely inside the belt path. Not ideal, but the best install you can get, yk?

Thanks!

They are needing to purchase another convertible for dad's 07 Nissan Frontier. If I can find another seat that will install better in the Jeep they will move the MR to the Frontier and purchase whatever I tell them to (within reason). If anyone knows what will go in the center of the Jeep easily please let me know!

In the meantime I'll try again with Debbie's suggestions.

Pixels

For my own vehicle, I'd go with the first install, and keep an eye on it. Either it will stay tight, or it won't. In a crash, the seat moves forward but the buckle doesn't, so the buckle will be moving further from the edge of the belt path, and won't end up at that magic loosening angle during the crash sequence.

For a locking clip on/near the edge of the belt path, if you put it with the 4 legs out (showing), you can get it closer to the edge than you can if you hide the 4 legs.

CTPDMom

OK, that's a good point...and makes me feel a little better about dad insisting that he leave it installed that way for now. It's solid, really solid right now. And I did tell both parents to check it every day, every ride until we come up with something better. The baby still fits in her carrier (just barely but does still fit). I really wanted to put the carrier base back in but dad was having none of that.

They would really prefer it be in the center and not outboard. The roof of the Jeep is right in the spot for mom to smack her head on. She'd prefer to sit in the back seat and then place dd in the car seat so she doesn't get a concussion every day. LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC