What car seat for the plane? Anyone traveled with a RA50?

kaharris83

We have 3 car seats currently and we're going on a trip in a little less than a month. DS just switched from the SS1 to his new Radian XTSL. I'm pretty sure the Radian isn't the right choice for RFing on the plane because it's so tall. He'll only be 3 months so he needs to be RFing. Our other two choices are the SS1 and a Britax Roundabout 50. We don't have a stroller we're taking so if we take the SS1 it will need to be hauled around without. I was thinking about using bungee cords to fasten the RA50 to the suitcase for easier hauling. I'm just not sure it will fit in the seat. It's a smaller regional jet. Seatguru.com says the seat is 18" but I don't want to get there and end up not having a seat that fits. Anyone have experience with that? Or even the SS1 on a plane? I know a lot of people buy Scenaras but when I checked them out in the store I just wasn't thrilled. Seems uncomfortable for a 4 hour flight.

ADS

Dillipop

At 3 months old, I would definitely take the SS1. Mainly because the RA50 is going to be very upright rfing. The SS1 should give a decent recline. It is also easier, imo, to install the SS1 on a plane because the lap belt just goes over the seat. It sits lower on the seat and will give the person next to it more room, as well.

If you were going to attach the RA50 to the carry-on with bungees, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it with the SS1 as well. It just wouldn't be useful to sit the baby in, since most likely you'll have to attach it with the seat facing the luggage.

vonfirmath

I have used both the SS1 and the Roundabout50 on a plane. Both worked fine, but given the choice I'd take the SS1. (of course, I had a snap and go type stroller)

aeormsby

I'd also use the infant seat - lighter weight and I'd imagine it would fit better RF on the plane. Like PP said, the larger Britax seats (we've flown with our Marathon which is the same size as the RA50) needs to be pretty upright to RF on the plane. I think I needed to leave it in the upright position, it didn't fit when reclined.

Belle's Mamma

ss1 hands down!!
it fits just fine on the plane.

bungee the handle of the ss1 to your suit case and haul it that way :)
done it!

:yeahthat:

After many, many flights with DD1 and later on with both LOs the SS1 was hands down my favorite seat for flying. It's easy to bungee to your suit case and installs well in every plane I've flown in.

If you're comfortable doing a baseless instal in the car at your destination I wouldn't even bother to bring the base as the SS1 fits much better in most plane seats w/o the base (some planes it's impossible to use the base due to buckle placement or pitch).

I used the SS1 on planes until both of my LOs had maxed it out by hight, which was 2yo for DD1 when she had been riding in a convertable CS full time for over a year in my van. It's a perfect seat for planes and a baseless install in a car isn't difficult...just practice it in your car before you go.

kaharris83

Thank you everyone for your replies!! I feel much better about taking the SS1 now. I was just worried it wouldn't fit in the airplane seat, but it appears many have taken it on planes with no problem. I've already read the manual about how to install it in the plane but we will for sure practice in the car.

kate4478

Like everyone else said the SS1 is the way to go. We used it 2 times so far to fly. I wish DS still fit in b/c I would have much rathered using it instead of our Marathon this last flight. Make sure you have a locking clip with you(should be attached under the seat). :thumbsup:

kaharris83

That was actually going to be my next question, were we going to need a locking clip? So the locking clip needs to be used with the airplane lapbelt?

Dillipop

That was actually going to be my next question, were we going to need a locking clip? So the locking clip needs to be used with the airplane lapbelt?

No, the lap belt locks on an airplane, so you do not need a locking clip for that. You may, however, need a locking clip at your destination, if you decide to do a baseless install in the car. You won't use the base on the plane- in my experience, the seat won't fit with the base on the plane. So, you might not want to lug it with you and there are some cars that might require a locking clip. Or, if you are using a vehicle with locking retractors, you may want to use the locking clip instead of the locking retractors if the belt starts to tip the SS1 to the side.

rachelandtyke

Yep, I'd take the SS1. You may be able to slip it over your rolling suitcase handle. I've never tried it as I don't take a carry on, but on my last flight, I saw another mom who had done that and it worked well.

I've installed both a Boulevard and Snugride on a place, and the snugride is much easier, altought the Blvd (would be same for RA50) is possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC