Convertible for newborns

dubhreubel

I was looking at a truefit, but I'm beginning to think a Scenera might fit better in our small car(1999 corolla,) but how are they for small newborns? My DD was 6lbs 14oz, but compact (the size of a 5lb baby) and came home just barely fitting in a graco snugride (I don't have this anymore.) I can not do a bucket seat, I just can't afford to buy a $100+ seat and have to replace it in a couple of months. I will have to replace a scenera, but it's cheaper than any bucket I've seen, and will last longer than the first year at least.

I'll take other suggestions, but keep in mind it has to fit behind the drivers seat with the seat back pretty much as far as it goes.

ADS

dogmelissa

Questions for you:
Why does a new seat need to go behind the driver? I'm not a tech so not familiar with installing seats in your car, but I would guess that *any* seat would have trouble installing behind a pushed-back driver's seat, especially for a newborn with the required 45* recline.

What is your DD in now? Does the new seat need to puzzle with it? Is it FF or RF? Where in vehicle?

The TF is a great seat & works pretty well with most newborns. When is the baby due and do you think it will be a similar size to DD? The major advantage of the TF is the removeable head-rest but I still doubt it would fit behind the driver.

Not sure that helped at all but perhaps with more info, more answers can come.
Melissa

dubhreubel

My DD is in a rearfacing myride, which only fits behind the passengers seat (with little room for me) New baby has to fit in the middle or behind the drivers seat, which is back as far as it can go, because my DH has long legs. I'm assuming not many seats will pizzle with the myride, it's very wide.

The new babe is due in December, and so far, pretty much the same as my DD was (measuring perfectly on time lol) I think he'll be slightly larger than DD was, but still teeny.

Shanora

I would in all honestly go with the Truefit, as you can remove the headrest until they are 22lbs (or the top of thier head reached the red line), and its shorter than a scenera with the head rest removed. Once you need to put the head rest back on, then you can adjust the angle so its more upright, and that should allow for the drivers seat to be in the same position. Although it may need to be pushed up to accomidate the RFing seat.

With the My Ride, it does not require a full 45* recline for older babies or toddlers, when installing if you place your hand on the foot area and push down there when tightening it will cause the seat to be more upright. Which might give you more room up front.

dubhreubel

She's not at a high recline, she wouldn't go for that if I tried lol.

So the truefit will fit better? The other option I just thought of would be a new seat for DD, and the newb in the myride passengers side... If there's any good ERF seats that sit lower/more upright for my DD (tiny still)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC