What kind of double stroller?

Pixels

DD will be 2y9mo when Sprout is born. We've decided to take a wait-and-see approach when it comes to buying a double stroller or not, but I'd like to be prepared to buy ASAP if we decide a double is what we want.

Right now, DD only wants to walk, and that's fine for now. She has incredible stamina, and we have hands to keep her under control in dangerous situations (ie parking lots). When the new baby comes, we may find a stroller necessary for containment purposes.

I know I don't want a side-by-side. No side by side stroller is as narrow as a single. I've been in situations where my umbrella *just* fit through the doorway.

Sit n stand, buggy board, or full tandem? I'm thinking a buggy board might give her a bit too much freedom to jump down and run, but she's pretty good about following the rules (after testing them once or twice, that is). The BabyTrend Sit N Stand is appealing because we have a BT infant seat, so we could snap and go, but I haven't really test-driven it yet. I don't really know anything about the full tandem strollers, other than I'm in :love: with the concept of the P&T. But it's expensive, and I don't know how practical it would be in real life, especially if I have to take off the doubles seat each time to put it in the trunk.

I'm going to stop rambling now and let the stroller gurus and BTDTs give me their input.

ADS

autumnlily

In line stroller. I've been playing with the Phil & Ted's EXPLORER and the break, recline feature and sun canopy are far superior to the Sport version. The new Britax B is pretty great too.

ownedbyhorses

I have a valco tri-mode single with the jump seat. I love my stroller. It is bulky & expensive. I would not trade it for anything else though. You can close it with the jump seat on too. (jump seat goes on the front.)

Pixels

That's three votes for inlines. Do you all think DD will be too young for a Sit N Stand or buggy board, or is there another reason I don't know about?

Melanie

That's three votes for inlines. Do you all think DD will be too young for a Sit N Stand or buggy board, or is there another reason I don't know about?

To do all over again, I'd probably get an inline.

I think your DD will be a fine age for a sit n stand type stroller. IME, they work great while the baby is in an infant carrier but not so well after. My girls are 2 years apart. I used an original Joovy Caboose and used it like a snap & go with the infant carrier. It was nice to have a place to keep older DD contained in parking lots and stores. I quite using it after the infant carrier stage. The front seat wasn't very comfy for either child. I wound up mainly using a single stroller. When older DD wanted to ride I'd wear the baby. When we were at places like the zoo I used an actual double-either sbs jogging stroller or a tandem.

Something else I didn't love about the sit n stands is the size. It's long with the infant seat attachment. It took up almost as much room as my monster Graco tandem double. The Joovy ultralight is supposed to be better, but my Joovy didn't steer very well.

autumnlily

Craigslist and eBay are sometimes reasonable. But, yes, the prices aren't pretty.

I have a Baby Jogger City Mini Double and LOVE IT. Easier to fold than an inline. And, shorter front to back making it feel pretty compact. Because it turns so well - I can go through a door while carrying one twin and having the two seats occupied... using one hand on the stroller.

Or, I now own a Scootababy baby carrier and it is so comfortable and quick and my two year olds love it. It is faster to put one in the hip carry than in a stroller. I'd venture to recommend a single stroller with decent storage basket and a hip carrier (Scootababy has been my favorite BY FAR) might just be the way to go. Eventually (around 4 ot 5 months old) the baby can use the carrier too and you could have your toddler in the stroller as an option.

Just throwing out some ideas.

momtoo3

I would also recommend the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. I use it everyday and have not found a door it couldn't fit through. The seats recline nearly flat for a newborn and the sunshades are fantastic. I saved money by adding 2 parent organizers from Toys R Us ( Munchkin brand) and I bought a Mommy Hook for the diaper bag so I did not have to make it fit underneath leaving that area for all the other extras. I use it for my 2 year old and my 5 year old and also my 2 year old and the 1 year old I watch. It folds so easily and steers like a dream. HTH!

Keeanh

I've also been looking at double strollers. If you look at the stats, the inlines are about 26+", while the side-by-sides are 29". Not as big a difference as I expected I was going to find.

canadiangie

In line stroller. I've been playing with the Phil & Ted's EXPLORER and the break, recline feature and sun canopy are far superior to the Sport version. The new Britax B is pretty great too.

The Sport and Classic are being discontinued; and the Explorer is replacing both.

I would be on the lookout for some hot deals in the next few weeks/mos. I know up here you can get a Classic with add-on seat for just under $350 right now. I assume even less in the US. Can't beat that... :thumbsup: Ya, the Classic is base model and no frills, but it more than gets the job done, IMO.

OP, you can fold a P&T with the add-on seat attached when the stroller is in infant/toddler mode (pizza oven style). It's only when it's in toddler/toddler mode that the add-on seat needs to be removed (and for some reason I thought they changed that a few years back?). Either way it takes about 10 seconds. It's so not a deal breaker..

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a Valco Tri Mode Twin (plus the jump seat to make it a triple!) and I wouldn't trade it for the world when it comes to doubles. I've had the front/back and thought they were great, until I got my Valco and a whole new world opened up. I COULD STEER...EASILY. One handed even, with a full load in the stroller. I can fit through ANY standard door including my front door.

The concept of the P&T bothers me. It doesn't bother most kids from what I've heard, but it bothers me. I hate that someone is 'underneath/behind' and next to the wheels. When using the bottoms seat, you have no storage (just guessing here) and if you hand a diaper bag from the handle...wouldn't it hit the kid in the head who is sitting below? Again, never used one...never seen one in action....just ideas that seem like they would occur just by design.

If your oldest isn't a napper, then the single Valco with jump seat might be a good option for those times you need a double, but with the size of a single. It would prevent you from using your car seat with it with the jump seat attatched. The stroller reclines good enough for a Noob, has an awesome sun shade...and given it's size, folds pretty decent...but does take up a lot of room (the twin that is). I wouldn't want to put it in/out of a car trunk on a regular basis, though it can be done. I have a Suburban, so space isn't an issue unless I'm doing a full on grocery shopping trip. Then I tend to leave it at home.

luckyclov

My most favoritest double *ever* was the Inglesina Twin Swift. It was a side by side and I don't even think they make them anymore.

So...moving right along. I'd have to agree with the inline. Phil & Teds are really super duper dreamy. And it's not foreeeeeeeeeeeeever a double stroller, which is a huge bonus. They aren't tippy like BOBs, if you happen to need some weight on the handlebar and there's no child in the seat. I really, really like the look of the B-Readys, too.

Pixels

Does anyone know if any of these strollers will work with a BabyTrend bucket? I realize most probably won't snap in, but I'm fine with that as long as it's stable.

luvsviola

I love my double jogger. I have a Mountain Buggy, but if I did it over, I'd get a Baby Jogger. I also have an Aria double, but it is not nearly as good for walks in the neighborhood. It stayed in my car til DD got to be 3.5, but now she is safe to walk for quick errands. Anything more than that, and DH comes too.

soccer_widow

Mine just came today, and I'm in :love:!! I sold my P &T Sport, and Sit n Stand Plus to buy it. Worth. Every. Penny.

Oh, and removing the doubles seat takes literally 2 seconds.

aeormsby

We started using an umbrella with buggy board when DD was about 2.5yo (maybe a little younger). She was good on the buggy board most of the time and if we were someplace where I needed her more contained I would put her in the stroller and wear DS. We still use the same set up now that DD is 4.5 & DS is 2.5yo, they take turns sitting & standing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC