• Seat belt no tether, I don't have LATCH in my vehicle

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Seat belt and tether, I don't have LATCH in my vehicle

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Seat belt and tether, I do have LATCH in my vehicle

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • LATCH

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • LATCH but I would like to use seat belt but it would be in the way (thinking minivan)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I have some seats installed with LATCH and some installed with seat belts

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • other

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters
ADS

Megan

I voted other.
1) Snugride is installed with LATCH.
2) Triumph is installed with seatbelt and tethered to 3rd row seatbelt (minivan).

twokidstwodogs

I said LATCH because that's how my Marathon is installed. Obviously, DD #1 uses a belt in her Compass, but I left that out. When she was still in a Marathon, it was installed with LATCH (yea for Subaru's 60 lb LATCH limits!)

LuvBug

I voted some and some.
I prefer the seatbelt, so in my car that is what they are... but in my mom's van I can not get the lightweight locking latchplates to work(even when flipping and whatnot) so I am currently using latch until the limit.
Always top tether ;)

ETA: that we do not have 1 primary vehicle, lol! DS is in both just about exactly equal. I drop him off, mom picks him up, mom takes him somewhere, I take him somewhere lol! so I had to list both.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
for this poll use your primary vehicle, too many options to take into account two cars.

The new study from CHOP is coming out soon... so far LATCH is turning out to be safer than seatbelts, just like the Ford engineer told us it was 5 years ago... this might only be with Average Jo Parent who does a crappy seatbelt install anyway, but the study's coming and it might be compelling enough for me to use LATCH whenever possible.....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I voted some and some.
I prefer the seatbelt, so in my car that is what they are... but in my mom's van I can not get the lightweight locking latchplates to work(even when flipping and whatnot) so I am currently using latch until the limit.
Always top tether ;)

Yes yes yes...ALWAYS top tether, it's like SO much safer than just the seatbelt.. that'll be out in that study, too ;)

Simplysomething

I voted other-because in my car, the 2 year olds seat is installed with a belt. It's not tethered, because it's rear-facing Scenera. And the booster is just belted in. lol

LuvBug

The new study from CHOP is coming out soon... so far LATCH is turning out to be safer than seatbelts, just like the Ford engineer told us it was 5 years ago... this might only be with Average Jo Parent who does a crappy seatbelt install anyway, but the study's coming and it might be compelling enough for me to use LATCH whenever possible.....

I hope its for average joe and not overall... and are they testing the husky/regent? lol! I SO much prefer the seatbelt with the husky/regent because it just holds it in there so nicely with that LBP.

bbartlettnfld

Mine is FF with the seatbelt and not tethered, because there is no tether bolt. Its a longterm rental and they don't know what tether bolts are here..heck they don't know what carseats are for that matter!
BethANn

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
In my car (boulevard and husky) they are installed w/ LATCH, our second car(advantage and turbobooster) they are both seatbelt since there aren't any lower anchors.

I actually did have a husky in there for a while but the $#&*% belts don't have switchable retractors and even w/ the long belt path it kept loosening. I wasn't comfy using a locking clip on the husky so we opted to switch to the booster in that car. Beth doesn't ride in it for long periods, mostly 4-5 blocks to school and occasionally home from a store... so I'm okay w/ that.

I sold our second husky to help fund the boulevard purchase for Ben :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mine is FF with the seatbelt and not tethered, because there is no tether bolt. Its a longterm rental and they don't know what tether bolts are here..heck they don't know what carseats are for that matter!
BethANn

That's why a seat with a shoulderbelt lockoff is a good thing... since they don't have top tethers in Europe they have the shoulderbelt lockoffs to 'act like' top tethers to some extent :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I hope its for average joe and not overall... and are they testing the husky/regent? lol! I SO much prefer the seatbelt with the husky/regent because it just holds it in there so nicely with that LBP.

It's not testing, per se, it's crash/injury data that CHOP/State farm collects...it's real life crashes... probably not a lot of crashed Regents yet, give 'em ten years (I bet l/s belt WILL be better on that puppy, lol)

twom

"I actually did have a husky in there for a while but the $#&*% belts don't have switchable retractors and even w/ the long belt path it kept loosening. I wasn't comfy using a locking clip on the husky so we opted to switch to the booster in that car."

Out of curiosity, why are you not comfortable using a locking clip on a Husky? Both my kids are in Huskies installed LBP with ELR lap/shoulder belts using a locking clip, and they're very solid. We started with SE's, which didn't require the use of a locking clip, but when they were recalled and replaced with Huskies I followed the manual and did use a locking clip.

Jody

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
"I actually did have a husky in there for a while but the $#&*% belts don't have switchable retractors and even w/ the long belt path it kept loosening. I wasn't comfy using a locking clip on the husky so we opted to switch to the booster in that car."

Out of curiosity, why are you not comfortable using a locking clip on a Husky? Both my kids are in Huskies installed LBP with ELR lap/shoulder belts using a locking clip, and they're very solid. We started with SE's, which didn't require the use of a locking clip, but when they were recalled and replaced with Huskies I followed the manual and did use a locking clip.

Jody

I agree, the locking clip is absolutely acceptable with a Husky and an ELR belt, I'd feel much safer for my own kid in a locking clipped Husky than a booster (a younger kid, of course...over age 7 or so, I'd probably go booster).

natysr

Our main car is a 2006 Civic Hybrid. We have a Marathon installed rearfacing, in the center position with the seatbelt, and tethered to the right back track of leg of the driver's seat. My son is 31 months old, 23 pounds, and 34 inches.

Here is my question. I *know* that you aren't supposed to use the two inside latch anchors for the center seating position. So, I have it installed with the belt. BUT...I've been really looking hard at the back row. The inside latch anchor for the drivers side is exactly even with the position of where the center seatbelt is bolted....and, the inside latch anchor for the passenger side is exactly even with where the female end of the belt stalk is bolted to the seat. So, on it's surface, it appears that IF a person were to use those two latch anchors for a carseat in the center position of a compact car such as mine, the two anchors are not any farther appart from each other than where the two ends of the seat belt are bolted to the car. Does this make any sense? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Natalie

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Our main car is a 2006 Civic Hybrid. We have a Marathon installed rearfacing, in the center position with the seatbelt, and tethered to the right back track of leg of the driver's seat. My son is 31 months old, 23 pounds, and 34 inches.

Here is my question. I *know* that you aren't supposed to use the two inside latch anchors for the center seating position. So, I have it installed with the belt. BUT...I've been really looking hard at the back row. The inside latch anchor for the drivers side is exactly even with the position of where the center seatbelt is bolted....and, the inside latch anchor for the passenger side is exactly even with where the female end of the belt stalk is bolted to the seat. So, on it's surface, it appears that IF a person were to use those two latch anchors for a carseat in the center position of a compact car such as mine, the two anchors are not any farther appart from each other than where the two ends of the seat belt are bolted to the car. Does this make any sense? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Natalie

You just have to wait for Honda to do some appropriate testing and start allowing it in writing. In theory it's probably ok, but i wouldn't do it till they are absolutely clear that it's OK to do. Kind of annoying, isn't it? :scratcheshead:

right now, my son's seat is installed with the seatbelt only. My car doesn't have a tether (or latch obviously)BUT, I am getting the tether installed :) Mazda provides the tether kits and installation free of charge! I called the guy at one of the dealerships and he is quite confused and i have to call back this afternoon to confirm that it is free of charge (like mazdas website says) because the first guy gave me prices. my car is in the shop for the week, so i will hopefully get it installed at the beginning of next week! I can't wait. i will feel so much better with that. right now, we are using my in-laws CRV and it doesn't have tether either!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC