Mazda 5

Dillipop

I'd really like to consider this for our next vehicle. We'll have to upgrade from our 5 pass. Buick to something a little larger by next spring- for my own sanity. I don't think I can go much longer than 6-9 months with 3 across on a daily basis with a booster in the mix.

My concern is the 3rd row seatbelts. I've seen a couple comments that the design of them have changed and I want to know in which model year they became friendlier. However, I can't find any concrete info on this, other than a couple posters here claiming it. Other than those seatbelts, it really looks like a car that would work well for us with 3 kids- 1 of which is usually not in the car and is in full day school. (Bonus- when we want to get a larger minivan, dh will get this one and have an easy way to transport the kids without dealing with 3 acrosses any more. Plus if we have another kid, he'd still be able to take everyone.)

Any thing else we should consider about this car?

ADS

chay

They changed in 2009 based on posts here.

I have a 2008. The 3rd row seat belts work great with any harnessed seat I've tried (except a FF Radian). I don't have booster age kids but I've sat in the 3rd row many times (I'm 5'2" 110lbs, small chested, etc - so some 12 year olds are bigger than me ha ha) and based on my experience I don't think it would be a big problem with a HBB because the back would help put you forward so the belt would be more on their chest rather than hovering in front of it. I don't think I'd want to put a LBB back there ever and I don't think I'd put a kid any smaller than me back there in just the seat belt.

I haven't tried one of the newer models to see how it changed or how much better it is to compare. Hopefully someone else can post.

I do LOVE my 5. I love how it drives and parks like a small car, my manual transmission, the gas mileage (we pay a LOT more for gas up here) and the sliding doors. I can't believe how much stuff we can fit in there if we flatten all of the seats.

The 2011's are going to be a design change so if you can wait you might get a good deal when they're trying to clear out the 2010's if you're looking new.

Dillipop

See, I've read the change was in 2009 as well from posters here, but I am finding nothing online about any design changes within the mazda 5 at all. I will soon (in the next 2 years or so) have 2 booster riders in that back row, currently I'd have 1, so I want to make sure that the back row would work with whatever boosters I'd need.

Although seeing the 2011 has power sliding doors, that might be something to wait for! We're not buying until spring/summer I think, so we can definitely start saving for that one!

ETA- looks like the redesign will hit Europe for 2011 and be a year later for the US. That's a bit disappointing.

turtlejd

I test drove a 2010 Mazda5 a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any problems with the 3rd row seatbelt. DD was in her Turbobooster in the back and the seatbelt fit her well.

I was going to try to wait for the 2011 redesign, but it doesn't look like it's coming to the US any time soon. I think not until late next year or even 2012. :thumbsdown:

chay

Another year?? Crap, my sister loves mine but it would be a little too weird for us to drive the same thing so was hoping the new ones would be out soon so at least it would look a little different ;)

I'm guessing it will be really hard finding info about the change because most people wouldn't even notice. Belt fit on a 3rd row seat - not exactly a high priority for most people as they put their 3 year old in a LBB back there. Change the color of the gauges though - now that's something to write a review about.

luckyclov

I had a 2008, when I just had 2 kids and it was a dream car. The 2nd row seats were pretty car seat/booster friendly - never had any problems there. It was a great car, loved it, but it just didn't meet our needs anymore, so we moved on to a minivan.

But yes, the 3rd row seatbelts were awful for boosters. When I was considering keeping the 5 when I was pg w/ #3, I played with boosters back there (since DS1 would have to go back there). I wasn't pleased at all with the SB position/fit with DS's Monterey or Parkway. The 3rd row SBs worked fine with car seat installs - I was able to get a nice install with our Regent, Nautilus, Marathon, and some Evenflo convertible we had hanging around (it was likely expired). No lower anchors, but there were TTAs in both 3rd row spots.

I know they've made changes to the seatbelts recently - hopefully the issue has been corrected (it seems to have been...?).

Good luck!

ETA: Another thing to consider is that when the 3rd row is in use, there is almost literally NO cargo room. I'd have a small Chicco Capri umbrella stroller back there and it'd be packed. It's a 50/50 split flat fold, but I hated doing that because I wasn't having a fan of having cargo *right next* to DS. With just two kids, and the 3rd row totally flat, there's lots of room, however.

Rosey

Good luck!

ETA: Another thing to consider is that when the 3rd row is in use, there is almost literally NO cargo room. I'd have a small Chicco Capri umbrella stroller back there and it'd be packed. It's a 50/50 split flat fold, but I hated doing that because I wasn't having a fan of having cargo *right next* to DS. With just two kids, and the 3rd row totally flat, there's lots of room, however.

Darn, I was hoping it would be out here like next month! I can't wait two years, but I really wanted power sliding doors.

Would a BJCMD fit in the back with the third row up? Or a Peg Perego P3?

luckyclov

Would a BJCMD fit in the back with the third row up? Or a Peg Perego P3?
Not with both 3rd row seats up. With one folded flat, you could work it in horizontally, like right next to the other seat. I was able to fit an Aria back there with both seats up, but it wasn't pretty and fell out as soon as I opened the hatch. I don't see how there's any possible way to get the BJCMD in there UNLESS the 3rd row was completely down.

LuvMyCharlie

Not with both 3rd row seats up. With one folded flat, you could work it in horizontally, like right next to the other seat. I was able to fit an Aria back there with both seats up, but it wasn't pretty and fell out as soon as I opened the hatch. I don't see how there's any possible way to get the BJCMD in there UNLESS the 3rd row was completely down.

Take the wheels off. Mine fits just fine!

U

Unregistered1

Mazda 5 *drool*

I test drove a 2009 and fell in love. The third row seat belts were just fine, I specifically checked them out because of reading stuff here. My next car is going to be a 5 - when I can afford it.

There HAVE been very slight design changes. They added the rear air vents around the same time they fixed the seat belts. Maybe you can't find any info because it wasn't a major redesign, and as far as the seat belt thing, no one cares but us nerds, LOL.

Rosey

Can anyone from a hot climate weigh in on how the a/c works? I think they added rear air vents in 2008. I'm in Louisiana so do you think I should limit to only 08 or newer?

chay

A Peg Perego P3 won't fit with both 3rd row seats up but if I put it across the back with one seat down and the wheels towards the down side it works. At least that way I was able to secure the top part behind the seat with a cargo net and another net on the folded down seat holding the wheels which worked well enough to keep it from becoming a projectile.

The 2008's have the rear A/C vent. I don't think I deal with the same level of heat as you do but we get high 90's and fairly humid and its worked good enough (better than nothing). My complaint is that it doesn't put out heat in the winter which is more of an issue for me but that shouldn't be a problem down there.

luckyclov

I live in GA...we never had an issue with shortage of cool air in our '08 (which did, if I remember correctly, have rear vents).

ETA: I'd stick with one that is equipped with rear vents, especially down south. It would have been brutal without them, I think.

luckyclov

Originally Posted by clov878
Not with both 3rd row seats up. With one folded flat, you could work it in horizontally, like right next to the other seat. I was able to fit an Aria back there with both seats up, but it wasn't pretty and fell out as soon as I opened the hatch. I don't see how there's any possible way to get the BJCMD in there UNLESS the 3rd row was completely down
Also wanted to clarify here since I wasn't clear. I was referring to the P3 in my previous post, as I have personal experience with them and the 5. I do not (have personal experience) with the mini double.

Dillipop

The 2008's have the rear A/C vent. I don't think I deal with the same level of heat as you do but we get high 90's and fairly humid and its worked good enough (better than nothing). My complaint is that it doesn't put out heat in the winter which is more of an issue for me but that shouldn't be a problem down there.
\
So the rear vents are only for AC? Does anyone know if that's changed in the 2009 or 2010 versions?

luckyclov

\
So the rear vents are only for AC? Does anyone know if that's changed in the 2009 or 2010 versions?

It also blows hot air. I know, for me, living in the south, a/c is what I'm mor concerned with. We could possibly go a whole winter here without using the heat (especially since we're from the north).:p

OK, wait a minute...maybe it doesn't blow heat? I wonder if I just never noticed because we don't usually use it...interesting. Now I wish I still had the car so I could go find out!

LuvMyCharlie

My '08 only blows a/c through the rear vents. There are vents underneath the front seats, though, that blow heat(you just control them up front). When we lived in southeastern GA, it was always cool enough in the back.

chay

My '08 only blows a/c through the rear vents. There are vents underneath the front seats, though, that blow heat(you just control them up front). When we lived in southeastern GA, it was always cool enough in the back.

:yeahthat: There are vents under the seats that blow hot air if the heat is on but the one up on the console between the 2 front seats pointing back doesn't. It will do A/C or just vent but not heat. I mentioned it at my first service thinking it was broken and they guy just smiled and said it isn't meant to.

Anyways, we've survived many -30 days without but it would have been nice for the kids if it did heat as well given our climate ;) As I said probably not an issue for most of you just figured I'd mention it for anyone else lurking from colder climates.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC