Locking seatbelts in other countries?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
What about LATCH too or ISOFIX I guess? I'm not well traveled enough, at all w/ a child anyways, to know what is available in other parts of the world when travelling w/ carseats.

ADS

Neatfreak

From my experience living in SE Asia, there is a greater chance of vehicles having manually-locking seatbelts, ISOFIX, and tether anchors if the vehicle model is also sold in countries where those features are common (ie. Australia, US, Canada). We had two Toyotas that had nothing - they were only marketed in a few countries in Asia. But our Kia has all of those features, as does my friend's Honda CRV.

BananaBoat

In Austria, Germany & Croatia none of the cars we were in had locking belts. Those vehicles were:

Fiat Punto
Opel Astra
Citroen van
various Mercedes taxis

all but the Fiat Punto were less than 5 years old

bbartlettnfld

I agree with Neatfreak, When we lived overseas you would only find LATCH(ISOFIX) and locking seat belts on what I would refer to as "North American" cars. Here is a list of cars used by me or friends as you can see its the familiar vehicle names that have the added safety features.

Cars I know of that had neither:
Nissan Sunny
Honda City
Renault Cleo
Sanyong Rexton

Vechicles that did have Locking belts/LATCH/ISOFIX (ie: North American)
Ford Expedition
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Camry
Mitsubishi Lancer
Subaru Outback

I would err on the side of caution and travel with a seat that you know how to install well with a seat belt and locking clip (or lockoffs), just so you are not caught off guard when it comes to installing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC