benefits of being a tech

lpperry

I have been wanting to take a CPST course. There is one in my area next month. I really want to take the course just because it is very interesting to me. Just from being on this board, I am confident that the seats in our cars are properly installed for my children and my daycare kids. I still have this desire to be a tech though...

The CPST course is Wednesday-Saturday. This means I have to pay a sub to run my in-home daycare for 3 days, which will be about $300. I just don't know if being a tech "just because I want to" is really worth $300.

I work full-time with my home daycare, so I would not be able to do seat check events during the week. I would be happy to do them on weekends, but not every weekend. How often do you techs do seat check events? How do you get asked to do these events? What other benefits are there of being a tech? What should I expect if I get certified? Will family and friends ask my advice? I would like to be able to help people I know. I feel funny sharing my knowledge now unless someone specifically asks.

ADS

ripley

I recently became certified as a tech. I am a SAHM, so I didn't have to take time off work, but I did have to stay at a hotel so the cost to me was probably around $300 as well. Personally, I became certified, "just because I wanted to." I think it is a great way to help other people and get involved in my community. I have not worked any events yet, but I will be doing a presentation to a local moms group soon.

As far as getting asked to help, I asked my instructor for the names of people in my area certified and contacted them. We live in a remote area, so there were only 2 others and they are both police. I emailed one of them, and she was very receptive and said they would love to have my help. The presentation I was asked to do but contacting some of the young children groups in the area. I told them I was willing to help, speak, etc and they were all very receptive and seemed appreciative that I was offering.

So far my sister has really been the only one to ask for advice, although she has always asked me for carseat advice. Some friends have questioned why I have DS RF and he is 3, so I kind of talk to them about that, but that is about all.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For me, there are two main benefits. The first is peace of mind... I install my dck's seats in my vehicle, and help/supervise/do (yes, in some cases I do -- or rather did before I became certified) the installs in their parents' vehicles. I felt that as often as I transport kids who aren't my own, I needed to have that credential... God forbid something were to happen, at least I have a credential and am not just a know-it-all.

Secondly, it definitely does give me more clout in helping others. At a minimum, so far my cousin and a family for church have both been noticibly more receptive to my car seat knowledge because I'm a tech, and not a seat nut. I've also done the random 'help in the carseat aisle' thing, which again was given credence because I'm a tech.

I still need to figure out how to participate in some area checks. Around here there just... aren't any.

Personally, I didn't learn a ton that I didn't already know, nor did I better my install skills in a monumental way... but walking out of that class as a CPST has been worth it for peace of mind alone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC