Car Safety Project

B

Bangladeshian

I need to create a project for drivers education so I decided to create a timeline showing different developments and laws that have made people traveling in cars safer throughout the years. So far I just have the creation of car seats and the new 8 year/80 lb law. Thanks for your help!

ADS

southpawboston

some significant milestones in my opinion, would be:

seatbelts (developed by saab? volvo? 40s? 50s? but their use was not made mandatory in the US until the 80s)
energy absorbing bumpers (70s)
crumple zones (70s, 80s)
head restraints (60s, 70s)
collapsible steering columns (70s)
padded dashboards (60s, 70s)
air bags (90s)
safety glass (30s? 40s?)
high-mounted third brake light (1986, to be exact)

notably, all the above design features have become REQUIRED, not optional, in car designs for cars sold in the US.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Not sure if this helps or not, but here is a pictorial of old vs. new models of carseats. Unfortunately, this site won't let you print the pages. But maybe you can do a "print screen" and paste it in as a picture. I hope you're better at that sort of thing than I am. :)

http://www.carseat.org/Pictorial/0_PicLink.htm

Sounds like a great project BTW!

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
seatbelts (developed by saab? volvo? 40s? 50s? but their use was not made mandatory in the US until the 80s)

Just to clarify, did you mean that they weren't required to be installed in vehicles until the 80's or the US didn't have mandatory seat belt use laws until the 80's? I wasn't paying attention to this stuff back then ;) and my parents always drove imports so we always had them, but I thought seat belts had to be installed in cars in the 70's - no?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Just to clarify, did you mean that they weren't required to be installed in vehicles until the 80's or the US didn't have mandatory seat belt use laws until the 80's? I wasn't paying attention to this stuff back then ;) and my parents always drove imports so we always had them, but I thought seat belts had to be installed in cars in the 70's - no?

Right, seatbelts were mandatory factory installed equipment by the late 1960s/1970 model year in the U.S. if I remember correctly. Mandatory state seatbelt use laws are much more recent as you said, implemented starting in the 1980s in some states.

southpawboston

i should have been more clear on that... their installation was made mandatory in the 60s or early 70s... but *using* them by occupants of the car did not become mandatory until the 80s.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
http://www.safeny.com/seat-ndx.htm
In 1984, New York State became the first state to enact a mandatory seat belt law, the law became effective in 1985. New York's seat belt law is a "primary enforcement law". This means that a police officer may stop you for not having a seat belt on.

In 1984, the year the seat belt law was enacted, approximately 16% of individuals wore seat belts. One thousand twelve (1,012) people who were unrestrained died in motor vehicle crashes. In 1985, the year the seat belt law went into effect, the compliance rate was 57%, and unrestrained deaths dropped to 644.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
the new 8 year/80 lb law.

Keep in mind that seatbelt laws vary by State... :) FYI, there are many sites listing laws by state - here's an example: http://www.elitecarseats.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=car_seat_laws I'm not sure how current that chart is but you can do a search and find others).

Research FMVSS 208, FMVSS 213, and FMVSS 225 - those are the NHTSA regs pertaining to (in order) seatbelts, child restraints, and LATCH. (Ok, six wks since my course so correct me if I'm wrong... :eek: ).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC