Bike Seats, Safety, and Weight Range

Stresch

We are getting a bike seat (one of the ones that attaches to the bike itself). We really want to be able to go for rides this summer. However, the seat is for kids 20-40 pounds. Sanna is 13 months and around 17 pounds fully clothed. How strict are the weight limits? How safe are the bike seats? Any tips?

ADS

Yoshi

We have the Topeak one, and it goes up to 40 lbs as well. The upper weight range is probably the one I'd pay attention to, since that is the MAX weight that it can safely carry, as well as you the rider, want to carry, without making turns/maneuvers unstable. The lower weight range is probably based on an general age/weight average (your DD is on the lightweight side, BUT she is over a year old, can support her head ok, and would be fine on the bike seat.) Just for comparison, my DD was 17 lbs at 5 months old and would NOT have been able to sit unsupported and keep her head steady!!!!
Just to let you know about ours- The Topeak one is VERY sturdy, attaches onto a frame that is like a rear carrier and is easy to mount/dismount. We have a frame on each of our bikes, so we just pop it off and change which bike it's on in less than a minute. The leg rests have straps for the child's feet, so they are not kicking around, and it is one of the tallest shells I've seen. Here is a picture of my DD when she was 2.5 and about 36", 33 lbs. She is just getting too big now at 46 months, 37 lbs, 39" tall. we will still use it this Spring, though.
100_0559.jpg

Dillipop

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...productId=47905133&parent_category_rn=9686094

We have this one and DH loves it. We got it when DS was 2 and he may make it through this summer on it.

There are trade off to either kind on bike carrier. If the parent falls while using this, the child will fall too. For an inexperienced rider, it may make manuevering the bike difficult because it changes the dynamic of the bike and shifts the weight to the back of the bike. Trailers have their downfalls too, mostly in that they can't be seen well by motor traffic.

Dh refused a trailer, so I researched and chose the one above. The cheaper ones seem kind of flimsy to me. The dealer we got this from attached the rack to DH's bike and installed the seat. The cheaper ones, you need to install yourself.

As long as your DD is over a year, I would feel fine using these seats with her. DS2 will be 1 in July and is already over 20 pounds, so he will be taking his first ride sometime this summer. If only DS1 would learn to ride a bike by then so there are no fights about riding with Daddy.......

skaterbabs

I don't recommend the carriers at all - even for an experienced rider a child can seriously throw things out of whack. Trailers are MUCH, MUCH safer for both parent and child.

Yoshi

I don't recommend the carriers at all - even for an experienced rider a child can seriously throw things out of whack. Trailers are MUCH, MUCH safer for both parent and child.

I disagree- unless you have a flailing child back there- on our bikes the rear carrier is very stable. We have hybrid road bikes from Specialized- thinner tires than a mountain bile, thicker than a racing bike. I have never felt wobbly or out of control. I can stop and turn on a dime. I think trailers are VERY dangerous unless you have designated bike trails (which we don't) for the road- even back country roads- your child is low and sicks out farther than you (the bike) do- so they may jut out too far near cars. Some drivers are obnoxious and do not slow down. Plus, you'd never know if your child was unhappy in a trailer because they are enclosed and about 6 ft away...road noise, etc. Just my opinion about the differences.

Morganthe

I disagree- unless you have a flailing child back there- on our bikes the rear carrier is very stable. We have hybrid road bikes from Specialized- thinner tires than a mountain bile, thicker than a racing bike.

Hey, I have a Specialized Hybrid too :D 11 years old and still going strong.

I found that I couldn't use a bike seat on the back of mine. My heels & dd's feet were whacking constantly & getting caught on one another. Just too dangerous :( The child seat was as far back as possible and this just caused a problem. Very sad considering I've carried everything from panniers -> Books -> even dogs on the back of my bike, just not my daughter :(

We've had a bike trailer for 2 years, but it's never even been assembled. I just don't trust drivers to care about not hitting it and there are NO bike paths in the county :(

Yoshi

Hey, I have a Specialized Hybrid too :D 11 years old and still going strong.

I found that I couldn't use a bike seat on the back of mine. My heels & dd's feet were whacking constantly & getting caught on one another. Just too dangerous :( The child seat was as far back as possible and this just caused a problem. Very sad considering I've carried everything from panniers -> Books -> even dogs on the back of my bike, just not my daughter :(

We've had a bike trailer for 2 years, but it's never even been assembled. I just don't trust drivers to care about not hitting it and there are NO bike paths in the county :(

I don't trust drivers a bit- most of them are too busy talking on their cellphones to notice you. DH also kicks DD's feet once in a while, but usually, I just say "tuck your feet in" and she does. (we never used the straps) We love LONG bike rides in the country, but they are all windy, narrow roads and we have absolutely NO BIKE PATHS or parks anywhere, except a rail trail about 30 minutes (driving) away. Ther have been several rapes and muggings there, so NO WAY!

Morganthe

I don't trust drivers a bit- most of them are too busy talking on their cellphones to notice you. DH also kicks DD's feet once in a while, but usually, I just say "tuck your feet in" and she does. (we never used the straps)

I didn't like the straps either. Too much idea of tying a child in place & possible panic.

It wasn't just how her feet & mine hit. The real scary part was my heel constantly catching on the foot area of the actual seat. No way to adjust or change the distance. My size 10 shoe were just too long. There was just no way there was enough room on my bike for the seat + me :p :(

I actually remember being on the back of my mom's bike when I was very little & having a slight accident. Early 1970s -- no helmet -- primitive bike seat. We were coming off of a park path onto a dead end residential road. My mom was maneuvering around the barracade and hit a tree root with her front end. Down we went at about .5 mph. No injuries. I wasn't even scared :p Somehow my dad was bellowing at my mom for something being her fault. Hmmph. He & my brother had taken off not even seeing if she had needed help with the transition. Men! :rolleyes:

I also don't trust trailers, especially on corners. I was using a similar bike trailer to what we put kids in, with my dogs. Twice, on very mild corners, it flipped over. Dogs were uninjured, but none of us were happy about it. Never happened with dh's bike, but for some reason, the lower height of mine would affect the cornering. Dogs ended up back on my bike after the 2nd time. 35lbs of 2 shifting dogs cannot equal 1 child in a 5pt harness for balance issues and THEY weren't difficult at all. They were well trained and we had a lot of fun, esp. when they were able to run ahead or alongside. We never had any problems on roads or trails :p

If I had a choice, I'd have her on my bike again. No matter what, good or bad, we at least stay together & very visible. :)

Last edited:

Stresch

Thanks for all the insight. We debated back and forth between seat and trailer. We went with seat for several reasons, a big one being that a friend is giving us hers. She never used it because it didn't fit her bike well.

We'll see how it works. If it doesn't, we aren't really out anything.

Yoshi

It's simple physics - the attached carriers are not safe.
Not to beat a dead horse, but:eek:
I guess it depends on the bike/seat combination, really. Because I can truly maneuver safely with ours, quick steady stops, nimble turns- 90 degrees-and I'm not even a true experienced biker. We have used it successfully for 2 yrs, (inclusive of 2 Springs, 2 Summers, 2 Falls) and have not had one mishap/event with ours. We have biked every weekend and have gone on 2 hr rides (stopping for a picnic) often. That is A LOT of miles. We travel up hills, down hills, curvy roads, bumpy gravely paths and it is completely stable. My husband even wears his toe-clips on his bike when he carries her. The one I had when my oldest (now 18) was little was a beast. It was heavy and hung back too far, and was bouncy...it was a K-mart special. I think I got what I paid for. Meanwhile- my neighbor with the trailer can't leave our 1 mile loop of our neighborhood because she can't cross the curbs, the main drag with NO shoulder, and she doesn't fit on the sidewalk. (We use it on stretches of our main drag because the shoulder is not there) She also can't haul her kids up hills. Plus- the kids can't see anything from their little cockpit. Sorry for my soapbox...I have PMS!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I have a Chariot corsaire bike trailer
like this one ----------------------as a stroller ------------------------Jogger
102064000000000.jpg
102069000000000.jpg
100556000000000.jpg

and love it! (Mine is the colours of the jogger :D) They have different kinds of trailers; singles, doubles, sidecarriers and different attachments you can use like the stroller kit, jogger, hicking kits, cross country skiing kits and more.

I would not do a seat on the back of my bike, I just don't feel comfortable with that. I have never had issues turning or tipping, mind you I can't jump curbs I wouldn't do that even if I had my DS on the bike with me anyways (likely I wouldn't do it even without him). I have no problems fitting on sidewalks and on our busiest street in town (which is a 4 lane that I try to avoid) I do ride on the side walk because it is so busy there; all other streets I ride on the street. My trailer has a tall orange flag and reflective tape along it, it has a screen, vent windows, a trunk and a rain shield which is great when it is cold out. Most people in our town who bike with their kids use a trailer so I know I am quite used to seeing and watching for them when I drive, I also find them easier to see then just a bike :rolleyes: My trailer is a double (which I can use for 2 kids which is very handy) and I bought the attatchment to use it as a double stroller which fits through pretty much any doorway. My trailer is used everyday in the summer/fall/spring (sometimes several times a day, I often bike during the day and we usually go for a bike ride in the evening as a family) and I use it almost daily as a stroller through the winter as long as the weather allows it. Even though DS is behind me I have no problems hearing him. We decided to go with a Chariot after researching and one of the main features we liked was the lightness of it (our chiropractor even recommend this brand), the life time warrenty and the durability of it.

Last edited:

skaterbabs

Not to beat a dead horse, but:eek:
I guess it depends on the bike/seat combination, really. Because I can truly maneuver safely with ours, quick steady stops, nimble turns- 90 degrees-and I'm not even a true experienced biker. We have used it successfully for 2 yrs, (inclusive of 2 Springs, 2 Summers, 2 Falls) and have not had one mishap/event with ours. We have biked every weekend and have gone on 2 hr rides (stopping for a picnic) often. That is A LOT of miles. We travel up hills, down hills, curvy roads, bumpy gravely paths and it is completely stable. My husband even wears his toe-clips on his bike when he carries her. The one I had when my oldest (now 18) was little was a beast. It was heavy and hung back too far, and was bouncy...it was a K-mart special. I think I got what I paid for. Meanwhile- my neighbor with the trailer can't leave our 1 mile loop of our neighborhood because she can't cross the curbs, the main drag with NO shoulder, and she doesn't fit on the sidewalk. (We use it on stretches of our main drag because the shoulder is not there) She also can't haul her kids up hills. Plus- the kids can't see anything from their little cockpit. Sorry for my soapbox...I have PMS!

Sorry, just because you haven't had an issue with it doesn't make it safe. Add 25 + lbs of kid to a bike and it causes all sorts of trouble.

Yoshi

Sorry, just because you haven't had an issue with it doesn't make it safe. Add 25 + lbs of kid to a bike and it causes all sorts of trouble.

Well, we can agree to disagree, I could make the same statement about trailers. I personally think the trailers are deathtraps
right at wheel height of cars, and a child would be crushed if not dragged...whereas on a bike, most likely you would both be thrown off your bike off the side of the road. I would NEVER put my child in a trailer.

ETA: I think it is a parental call- which is most likely to pose safety issues in your environment- and here where I live- trailers are dangerous and useless.

Last edited:

canadianmom2three

I have this one and have found it to be much more stable than the ones that attach behind the rider...plus my son liked it much more. I was able to carry him in it even last summer at 3.5 years and 40lbs.
4EFB7035_1d.jpg

southpawboston

It's simple physics - the attached carriers are not safe.

i just found this thread, otherwise i would have commented much earlier.

this is a totally unqualified statement, and i will comment on this further. i have done much research into this matter and it is not as simple as you say. there are safety issues regarding all types of carriers, be they rear-mounts, front-mounts, or trailers. i would suggest you read up on these issues before making such a broad and inaccurate comment.

i'll reply more in-depth later today, as i am off to work now.

EDIT: okay, i'm back, and i read the whole thread again.

skater-- in all of your replies, you never once provide a valid argument why rear-mount carriers are unsafe, other than "it's simple physics". the fact is, there is a big misconception about their safety and about the physics behind them. most people think that they skew the center of gravity of the bicycle veritcally, making it more top-heavy. this is not true. a properly installed carrier does not *raise* the center of gravity significantly, because the child's vertical center of gravity is around where the rider's vertical center of gravity is. so the bike is no more "top heavy" with the carrier. what the carrier *does* is shift the center of gravity more to the rear, which does cause a slight destabilization. on the other hand, there is also a benefit to having the center of gravity shifted more to the rear, in that it actually stabilizes the bike during emergency braking.

while trailers do not alter the center of gravity of the bicycle, they have their own dangers that rear-mount carriers do not have. for one, they create a much larger footprint on the road. if you are sharing the road with traffic, this creates an immediate increase in danger, since you are a much larger target. this is mentioned again and again by drivers in urban areas. also, bike trailers may appear more stable, yet they actually have a high rollover risk when hitting bumps. for example, the turn radius is much larger with a trailer. if a cyclist is making a right hand turn and comes close to the curb, the right trailer wheel may hit the curb and cause the trailer to flip. this is a proven characteristic of trailers. rear-mount carriers do not affect the bicycle footprint and the bicycle is as maneuverable with or without the carrier. this is important in urban environments.

so it seems that both methods of transporting kids on bikes present their own risks. rear-mount carriers are usually preferred in urban environments where there is a lot of street riding and the roads are shared with motorists. trailers are preferred in rural areas where there is little to no traffic, or on controlled access bike paths.

i would highly encourage ANYONE who is interested in transporting kids on bikes to thoroughly learn the benefits and risks of each method, and to also make sure you buy a CPSC approved toddler helmet. the best source of information on the subject that i've found is http://helmets.org/. you can learn all about proper helmet use and the debate between rear-mount, front-mount, and trailer carrier methods. this link within helmets.org provides links to actual medical journal articles as well as other links outlining the safety risks associated with each carrier method.

to make the blanket statement that they "are not safe" is innaccurate and uninformed, analogous to claiming that RFing beyond 1 year is unsafe because the legs can get broken. it appears that way on casual observation, but there is no data to back it up.

that said, this is the carrier we just upgraded to. we had a really cheap BELL seat which DD1 outgrew by height. this new one is german-made and is rated to 50 lbs. all the others sold in the US are only rated to 40 lbs.

http://www.bicycletrailers.com/Kettler-Teddy-Bike-Seat.pro

100603000000000.jpg

to answer the OP's question:

here are some things to look for:

- some type of suspension to minimize the shocks from bumps. AFAIK, only the topeak and the kettler have real suspensions. (incidentally, in europe, ALL carriers must have their own suspension, and ALL must be rated to 22kg, or 48 lbs). the standards are much more relaxed in the US.

- weight limit: all seats sold in the US except the kettler go to 40 lbs (the US-mandated limit), the kettler goes to 50.

- foot straps: these keep the child's feet strapped into the foot holsters. this prevents them form kicking you, but more importantly, in a fall, the feet and legs are protected by the seat shell. (these are required in europe, but not in the US).

- adjustable headwings. most seats do not have these and leave the head exposed during a fall. BELL has a "cocoon" model which has a nice tall shell that surrounds the head, and the kettler has adjustable headwings much like a carseat.

another thing that is very important to note is that there are a LOT of incompatibilities with rear carriers and different bicycles. not all carriers will fit all bikes, and if you buy one off the internet without first trying it on your bike, you may be disappointed. you really need to go to a bike shop and try out some different carriers to see what fits your bicycle.

also, to the OP, while it is technically legal to ride your 13 mo in a carrier in most states, i wouldn't recommend it. not from an accident risk, but from the standpoint of risk of brain injury from bumps-- and this applies to trailers as well as rear-mounts. if the child's neck muscles aren't strong enough to support the head for extended periods of time, injury comparable to shaken-baby syndrome can happen. it's unlikely after 1yo, but helmets.org recommends against starting your kids in a carrier at 1yo. we started DD1 at 2.5 years, and we will start DD2 at 2yo this june.

Last edited:

Lex

We have this seat:
ibert_5_ss.jpg
from www.ibertinc.com , and we've been quite pleased with it. I love having my little one up front as opposed to behind me, and he seems to love it too. We also have a bike trailer (with 3 kids, there's no other way), but none of us loves it. My five-year-olds will definitely be too big for it this summer, so we're thinking about getting an xtracycle, or maybe a higher-weight limit back-mounted seat in combination with a tag-along bike attachment. It's really important to me to be able to ride with all 3 kids (for environmental reasons). I got extra flags for our trailer, and only use it on bike paths/bike lanes on lower-traffic, high-visibility roads. But still, I find it heavy and the kids get really bored and hot back there. We have the Burley fancy model. It has never tipped over, and in that regard I feel it is very safe. I just don't feel safe about it in regards to cars.

Lex

sfeitler

Meanwhile- my neighbor with the trailer can't leave our 1 mile loop of our neighborhood because she can't cross the curbs, the main drag with NO shoulder, and she doesn't fit on the sidewalk. (We use it on stretches of our main drag because the shoulder is not there) She also can't haul her kids up hills.

Although a trailer creates a little extra drag (due to friction of wheels on pavement, and amount of wind you're pushing), the biggest factor in hauling kids up hills is how much they weigh. In other words, your neighbor just isn't in good enough physical condition, and would likely have trouble biking the same amount of weight up a hill if it was mounted on the bike instead of trailing.

I, personally, am fine with using my trailer on the road as long as there's a bike lane or good shoulder. And I will use it on low-traffic roads without the lane or shoulder. It seems wide, but in fact, it's just a few inches wider than my (mountain bike-style) handlebars; just blockier. So if a car is close enough to clip the trailer, they're going to clip me anyway, either at the elbows or the handlebars--meaning the trailer vs. back-mounted carrier won't make a difference. We're going down either way.

I've had some idiots buzz me close, but never close enough to hit.

I like the trailer for its ability to carry 2 kids and stuff, and because it doesn't change the balance of my bike. It certainly does change the riding dynamics, but in ways that I adjust to more easily than the changes I get with a carrier.

FWIW, having a tag-a-long/trail-a-bike also changes the riding dynamics--in some ways, that's the worst of both worlds, because the center of gravity moves towards the back, and you have a longer bike. But even that, you can get used to, and I think you can ride with one of those as safely as any other bike.

The fact is, biking around cars is not safe, no matter what, and likely never will be. 2000+ pounds of metal, moving significantly faster than any bike, and with limited visibility and no real ability to hear what's going on outside the car--all of those factors combine to drastically reduce overall awareness--versus a bike, that can't move quickly, has the instability inherent in 2 skinny wheels (ever taken a corner just a bit too fast with just a tiny bit of gravel?), and might (probably will) see and hear the accident coming but can't get out of the way fast enough.

Ultimately, choose the risk you're most comfortable with, and go with it.

-Sarah

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC