what mini van does most millage per gallon?

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
my 2003 Pontiac Montana got 20 or better but was a death trap LOL

my 2008 T&C (Caravan twin) gets 18 on a *really* good day...not real happy with it for gas mileage :( Usually get 16-17 :(

luckyclov

I can tell you what DOESN'T get the most.:p

I'm averaging 13.5 MPG (13.1 at this exact moment in time) city in my '09 Grand Caravan. We had it up to 22-23 MPG on a 1,000 mile (highway) roadtrip last summer, though.

Melanie

The older Kias are not very good either. My 2004 got 14 in town. The best it ever got was 18.

I'm guessing the Mazda 5 would do good since it's so little.

npauli

Top 3 that are available in US or will be soon:

1) Mazda 5, auto or stick
2) 2011 Odyssey, in whatever config is rated 28 mpg highway (coming soon)
3) 4 cyl 2011 Sienna is rated just a wee bit higher than relatives and competitors.

Beyond these 3, there's a whole bunch rated in the neighborhood of 16/25 or so.

There's talk of a Prius-badged hybrid minivan coming from Toyota, and a Ford C-max that might also get good FE. Both of these are a few years down the road and can be expected to be smaller - similar to the Mazda 5.

luckyclov

IIRC, my 2008 Mazda 5 was averaging about 22 MPG (city) and highway was anywhere between 25-28 MPG. But it's not what I'd call a minivan...we used to call it a microvan.:p

lovinwaves

The Honda Odyssey has VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) which can run on 3 cylinders at certain driving times instead of 6. This along with aerodynamics at high speed makes the Odyssey one of the most gas efficient full size minivans. It also has a light on the dash that will turn on and say "ECO" when you are running in the most efficient cylinders. Good for teaching you good driving habits and saving your gas :thumbsup:

southpawboston

The Honda Odyssey has VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) which can run on 3 cylinders at certain driving times instead of 6. This along with aerodynamics at high speed makes the Odyssey one of the most gas efficient full size minivans. It also has a light on the dash that will turn on and say "ECO" when you are running in the most efficient cylinders. Good for teaching you good driving habits and saving your gas :thumbsup:

this all sounds great, but numbers are numbers, and IIRC, the ody still only gets 25 with VCM, 23 without. so, an improvement, yes, and for a *full size* van, 25 hwy is not bad :thumbsup:, but 25 is still only 25 :thumbsdown:

we haven't calculated what we're getting on our new mazda5, and the first 1000 miles or so usually see poor efficiency as the engine is breaking in and the ECU is still adapting to your driving habits. i'm hoping it will routinely deliver the EPA estimates.

lovinwaves

this all sounds great, but numbers are numbers, and IIRC, the ody still only gets 25 with VCM, 23 without. so, an improvement, yes, and for a *full size* van, 25 hwy is not bad :thumbsup:, but 25 is still only 25 :thumbsdown:

Maybe so, but the Odyssey is a minivan that I am familiar with and therefore I gave "the numbers." The Mazda5 is considerably smaller and would not work for our family as we need more cargo room and more interior space for adult passengers. Sure, if someone is wanting the most economical the Mazda5 would fit the bill, but they would be giving up cargo volume, passenger seating space, and some would even argue "safety" for that gas efficiency. I'm not willing to do that, and if the OP isn't either it was certainly worth mentioning the Odyssey's VCM system ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC