Carsickness.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter sometimes (not often, but sometimes) gets carsick. We have a long road trip coming up. It will be just her and me. I know reading in the car is bad for carsickness. How about movies on an ipod or playing DS?

ADS

Pixels

Anything that takes her eyes off the road will contribute to it. Motion sickness is caused by a difference in the motion your eyes are perceiving and the motion your ears are perceiving.

If you're not opposed to meds, I used to use Bonine (chewable meclizine) as needed. The best part, it's chewable, so I'd wait until I felt it coming on and knew I really needed it.

glockchick

Anything that makes what your ears and eyes are sensing conflict is bad for carsickness.

When looking at something stationary while your inner ear tells your body it's moving, you're body doesn't know what to do with the conflicting information causing car sickness.

Books are usually the worst offenders for me because I look down and don't see anything in my peripheral vision. She might be ok with a movie if it's mounted on the roof or headrest so she still get some movement in her peripheral vision.

It depends so much on the person.

HTH!

geekKT

I know that I can read or watch a movie as long as I don't look up out the window and then back down much. I need to focus on one or the other.

My sister is incredibly prone to carsickness though and if she isn't driving, she prefers being in the front seat (but she's 21). If she is in the back seat, sitting in the middle is best so she can look straight ahead.

I agree, it seems to depend on the person.

OddOneOut

I have had some carsickness off and on my whole life. It is a lot worse right now I think because I am pregnant.

Some things that help me are drinking water, chewing gum, and not getting too warm.

I don't think I would be able to watch a movie, but you could give it a try. Maybe play some "talking" games, like finding things that start with each letter of the alphabet or maybe listening to a book on tape?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
That's a great idea -- I could put books on her iPod instead of movies! I'm willing to do some talking games, but I have my limits.

hsjwmom

My eldest gets carsick often. For our last roadtrip (TX to PA) we bought a small clip on fan for her. We found that the rear air wasn't enough to keep her comfortable, but the small fan was perfect. It really helped her to not feel too bad.

(watching dvds on the rear entertainment system didn't bother her)

a_js

I used to (still do) get really carsick, especially in the back seat. My parents' solution was to let me sit in the front, which is, of course, not a good idea (they didn't know that). Books on tape are the best suggestion I have. For me, even now, texting on the phone while dh is driving makes me carsick if I do it too much.

babyherder

Audio books. Whens she's tired of that ummm, more audio books. I can't read anything in the car. No movies, no texting, no reading directions (as long as I can help it). Luckily the public library has many many books on tape and CD. I just ordered an ipod Nano for a trip at the end of Aug. I plan to get books on CD from the library and transfer them to itunes and then my ipod.

The only other thing that helps me is food. Traveling on a full stomach helps me feel less nauseous. If I start to feel sick I snack, generally on pretzels or crackers.

Splash

Yep, do some audiobooks and podcasts (storynory is great) and have her look out the window. As mentioned above, motion sickness is caused by a disconnect between your inner ear and your eyes. It can also be caused by just seeing the motion from the corner of your eyes (the reason that reading sometimes causes it... you're looking at the book and not focusing on the passing scenery, but your eyes still perceive it).

cookie123

Mythbusters says ginger works. :) My dd took capsules during her pregnancy with success. Ginger ale might be helpful, but is has to be "real."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC