Truefit tips please

aeormsby

I'm going to be visiting my Sister this weekend and most likely helping her install the Truefit I bought for her baby girl that's due in a month :love:

I've don't have any experience with the Truefit, I was looking thru the manual online recently (and will read it when we open the box). It's the Truefit Recline, needs to have a newborn angle (do they tend to need noodles?) and will most likely be installed outboard with Latch in a 2001(?) Isuzu Rodeo. I've installed my seats (Marathon & Uptown) in her Rodeo before and haven't had any issues. If we end up using the center (lap only) is it OK to remove the little plastic part that holds the tail of the belt to the lap portion (so the tail is loose)?

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
It is okay to remove that plastic thing.

I suspect you will need a noodle or 2, even with the recline feature, although I've not messed with a Recline.

I don't suspect you'll have any issue in a Rodeo. Sometimes, especially with a newborn recline, you have to wiggle the seatbelt or LATCH belt into position in the lockoffs. It tends to slide down and make closing the lock-off hard. If you stand behind the seat and push in and down with your hips, you can use both hands to mess with the belt.

aeormsby

Thanks. Can you close the lockoffs with the belt all the way tight (assuming so) not like the new Britax70 seats (if you've seen the video on the blog). I'll get a noodle so it's handy before we try installing.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
A few things to remember:

It will look over reclined. On the TFP there is an angle indicator right above the adjuster strap. You can use the recline foot fully extended. It helps get over that edge. If you feel like something isn't right, take pics and post them for us. *Park on the most level spot you can to install it.

When installing with seatbelt or LATCH you need to close the lock-offs. Pay attention to where the belt/LATCH are on the lock-off. Make sure you will be able to close it when you are done tightening. We always lock the one across from the buckle/closest to you first, that way you can tighten more and guide it through the other and lock it. In dh truck he rides with the windows down since his air is close to dead so we lock the belt after it is installed.

Read the instruction manual. You need to know about the headrest and other things. You need to make sure she reads it as well. :)

Oh, I almost forgot. I would take a noodle and cut up what you need.

canadiangie

Yes, you will need a noodle. I recently used a fat noodle and needed 3 taped chunks to achieve a newborn angle. As pp said, it will look over-reclined, but don't worry. Just follow the angle indicator.

Standing over-top so that you can fiddle with the LATCH or seatbelt and the lock-offs is key. Getting the LATCH or seatbelt into the lock-offs while the seat is at 45 degrees isn't easy, IME.

Yes, you can remove the little plastic thingy so you have a tail end to pull on.

aeormsby

Re: Truefit tips please - updated

No joking about the Truefit looking over reclined. The little indicator was right on 45 degrees (that is not the easiest carseat to install - trying to get the latch straps in the lockoffs and keep it at 45 degrees was hard work). The Truefit ended up going in their Vibe:
100_6973.JPG

...Because someone bought an Onboard for them also :) That was one of the EASIEST installations I've ever done! It was even the basic model with the cheaper base, went in at 45 degrees with no movement first try (in the Rodeo)...
100_6972.JPG

It looks like it's overhanging more than it really is, the corner of the seat curves back, most of it is only hanging over about an inch.

ETA - it was HOT when we were installing them too - gotta love Las Vegas in August.

Pixels

Re: Truefit tips please - updated

The tail of the LATCH strap should be through the lockoff. I can't be sure, but it looks like it's not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC