Question Head Flop Problem

Rachelb

Tanner's head seriously flops forward when he falls asleep, and I don't like it at all. I guess it's not too bad if he falls asleep on 2 mile drive to school, but we have a 5 hour trip coming up this weekend. DH thinks I'm silly to worry bc we had help from a certified tech when we installed the seats. I just have to hope that this can be fixed.

Any advice? Or can someone tell me it's OK?

- Tanner is 7 months with great head control (sits and is starting to army-crawl).
- The seat is a Recaro ProRide, which is in the full recline position. We used the seat belt for install since the LATCH never seemed tight enough. No pool noodles were used.
- The car is a 2008 Volvo S40, with the car seat behind the passenger seat.

ADS

Maedze

Flopping is not inherently dangerous for a baby who is old enough to have developed the necessary cartilage in the trachea.

I know you said you had it at the full recline, but what is the actual degree of recline? Is it 45 degrees?

Rachelb

Flopping is not inherently dangerous for a baby who is old enough to have developed the necessary cartilage in the trachea.

I know you said you had it at the full recline, but what is the actual degree of recline? Is it 45 degrees?

I have no idea. What's the best way to measure that?

The seat doesn't have any "level to ground" line or degree markers on it. Please tell me there's an easier way than a protractor! :D

Maedze

The Paper trick is the easiest way to tell. Fold a right angle in a piece of paper, and hold your angle against the seatback. The bottom of your paper should then be parallel to the ground, if the seat is at 45 degrees.

Chely7425

My 2 year old get head flop in his RF complete air... we have it installed at a 30 degree angle to fit in the car, but I am sure installing it more reclined would help some. I am not a tech but I would think if the seat is more upright than 45 degrees that putting it to 45 degrees would help the head flop.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I'll measure it today. If it's not 45 degrees, should I try to reinstall?

Your seat can be installed between 45 and 30 degrees, with 30 degrees being the most upright. At 45 degrees, he very likely won't have any head slump, but may not like laying down that far. Newborns need that angle to keep their heads from slumping forward and blocking their airways.

I currently have my 10 month old at a 37 degree angle and so far no head lump, but at 35 degrees I noticed his head was flopping sideways and a little forward.

You can also take a picture of the seat from the side preferably with something level in the background and we can try to guess the angle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC