Vans: ripdown Odyssey or loaded other????

MarathonMama

I would looooooooove to have a Honda Odyssey ... we've been dreaming about one for years, but it's never been in the budget! We bought a fully loaded Kia Rondo which was perfect for a family of 4 (even though it has the 3rd row) but now that we have 3 kids it's a constant screamfest :eek:

Our '04 Chevy will need to be replaced sometime in the near future and I'm hoping to replace it with a van.

Should we consider a rip down Odyssey (aka base model) or a fully loaded (or whatever suits our needs) Kia Sedona?

What would the price difference be, really? Would I be disappointed if I got something other than what I really want?

ADS

MySillyKids

I have an ody myself. I love it. It's a 2005 touring. love. it. My friend has a kia sedona, it's a nice van also! If you do get one, get one with a longer wheel base. (so you get a trunk!)

Maggie

Would the base model Odyssey have power sliding doors?

That for me would be a deal breaker. If I really wanted an Odyssey but could only afford a base model without power sliders, I'd go with something else. I'd rather have a loaded Sedona with power sliders than a base Odyssey with manual doors.

I know that isn't a huge deal to everyone but I will never be without power sliders again. I love being able to close the doors while holding DD2 and DD3, groceries, diapers bags and a purse.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor

That for me would be a deal breaker. If I really wanted an Odyssey but could only afford a base model without power sliders, I'd go with something else. I'd rather have a loaded Sedona with power sliders than a base Odyssey with manual doors.

I know that isn't a huge deal to everyone but I will never be without power sliders again. I love being able to close the doors while holding DD2 and DD3, groceries, diapers bags and a purse.

:yeahthat: I totally agree! When our sliders bit the dust on the old van we traded it in. I would go with whatever fits your budget... An Ody will never be in ours, new or used :(

MarathonMama

Good point! I've just never had the luxury :p so I didn't even think about that!

I guess my main concern is longevity. With a Kia you'll have to drive it into the ground as you won't get any resale value like you would a Honda.

catchthewind

We really wanted an Odyssey or Sienna, but after test driving a few, we settled on a Kia Sedona. In our price range (which was low), we could only afford much older, base model Odysseys/Siennas, but ended up with a nice 2003 Sedona with lots of features we like. We're quite happy with it, and got an awesome deal on it. It's certainly no Odyssey, and we've had a few little things go wrong with it, but for what we paid it's a nice van that will do what we want (last us a few years until we can afford a newer Odyssey or Sienna). If you have your heart set on an Odyssey specifically, maybe go with that. If there are certain features that are more important than a make, you might prefer to look at a different make.

MarathonMama

Can I ask what the problem is with your Rondo? We have 3 kids in a Mazda5 and are quite happy.

The 3rd row has no top tethers so you can't put a FF seat back there (top tethers are required in Canada) and it is soooooo incredibly small back there that very few (if any?) seats will fit back there. We have to do a 3 across and even that was a massive task trying to get seats that were compatible with out belts etc.

Having 3 across is driving me crazy 'cause my kids are constantly screaming at eachother and my YDD is scratching and kicking her sister :eek:

LittlePeanut

Regardless of what you choose, I highly recommend getting the Car Cost Canada reports for the various vehiles so you have negotiating power. We paid $1k over invoice on our new 2010 Ody EX-L. I'm not sure how soon you are looking to buy but the have an unadvertised $6k rebate (factory to dealer incentive) on the Ody until August 3rd for cash purchases. Financing is high right now though. It's available on the SE, EXL for sure but may not be for the DX. If you want the CCC report for any 2010 Ody, PM me and I'll take a screen shot for you as it's already on my profile.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC