Vent Gerber e-newsletter

U

Unregistered

So today I opened a Gerber e-mail newsletter I get (and often don't even look at). This one was sent out to paretns of 10 month olds, although my son is 11 months old, so maybe they are off a bit. The main picture shows an infant (I assume she's supposed to be around 10 months old, but looks smaller to me) FORWARD FACING in a car seat, with the mom looking back from the passsenger seat. Not sure how else you could check this out, unless you got the newsletter, but I could send it as a forwarded e-mail.

I did shoot off an e-mail to them that read: "Just rec'd the 10 month old e-mail newsletter from Gerber. The picture shows an infant (rather small) forward facing in a car seat! This is a BIG no no, and shouldn't be going out to who knows how many parents! Children should remain rear facing until they are 12 months old AND at least 20 pounds! Please delete this picture from your communications with parents, and you may even want to consider a separate e-mail explaining that this picture depicted a mistake (forward facing an infant in a car seat).
Thanks!"

Not sure if anyone here also wanted to contact them, or I could keep people updated if they get back to me.

--Beth

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome. :) It's frustrating when advertisers and the media show misuse. It's actually encouraged by child passenger safety advocates and the AAP to continue to rear face well beyond age 1 and 20 lbs. and to rear face to the maximum rear facing capacity of a convertible carseat due to the safety benefits of extended rear facing. The article at http://carseatblog.com/?p=5168 provides further details and links regarding extended rear facing that you can review and also pass along to the advertiser.

B

beth_k

Thanks, Jean. I've actually been here awhile, albeit never registered for some reason! I'm pretty sure you helped me with 3 across about a year ago.

I guess my first response to Gerber was a bit too quick, but I also figured I'd give the "standard info" that I am aware of rather than get into extended rear facing with them (didn't know that AAP changed their recommendations). But the picture is unbelievable, it's a baby well under one! I have never seen anything so blatant. I don't think I can attach anything with their response form on their website, though, but will look over the document you linked to.

We'll see what, if anything, they say in response.

--Beth

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC