Questions about RSTV

U

Unregistered

How simple/complicated is the RSTV? We will be traveling to Hawaii in Feb for 2-3 weeks, and considering the RSTV for our then 4.5 yr old, to make it one less car seat to haul on the plane. Is the vest something that is too complicated to put on and take off constantly every time we go somewhere? How long does it take to put on and strap a child in compared to a harnessed seat?

ADS

Maedze

I wouldn't choose it as a primary seat for permanent use because as you said, you have to put it on every time you go anywhere. But no, it isn't complicated, just takes a few seconds, and is really ideal for vacation scenarios just like yours :)

jnamommy

How long does it take to put the vest on and buckle it? I see a lot of recommendations for the vest for travel (and we will be traveling soon too), but I also see people not recommending it for daily use because of how long it takes to put on.

courtfrog2

It's actually very easy and at 4 years old I can imagine that he'll learn how pretty quickly. My daughter uses her everyday afterschool to go to daycare. I trust her (she's 5) to put it on correctly by herself. It's just a couple loops. I feel safer with her in that then in a booster.

littleangelfire

We recently used one on vacation. It wasn't too bad, I'd leave the belt threaded through all the loops except one, the one I had to unhook to unbuckle the vest. Then just left the vest hanging there, hooked to tether and belt for him to put on when we got back in.

Athena

I got one for our upcoming trip and tried it on (in the car) this weekend. I was relieved at how quickly it went on, including the tether. We'll see how I feel after using it for a whole trip, but it seems like it'll be much better than having to take another car seat. :)

How do others do it when using it everyday on a trip? Do you leave it in the car attached to the tether hook or take it out each time to put it on?

We recently used one on vacation. It wasn't too bad, I'd leave the belt threaded through all the loops except one, the one I had to unhook to unbuckle the vest. Then just left the vest hanging there, hooked to tether and belt for him to put on when we got back in.

I'm having a little trouble picturing this. So you would leave the vehicle seatbelt through two of the three loop holders on the vest? Is that right? Thanks!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think that's what the previous poster was describing to a T. :) We did the same during a recent trip, leaving DD2's RSTV installed as much as possible whenever we parked the rental car, top tethered with the vehicle seatbelt routed as much as possible through the RSTV's shoulder belt and lap belt guides, and only unthreading the vehicle belt from the guide on the vehicle seatbelt buckle stalk's side when exiting the car. You're not required to use the top tether with a lap-shoulder belt but I preferred to do so and it also helped keep the vest in place unoccupied in the car. Then DD2 would just have to put her arms in, buckle up the front of the vest, re-buckle the vehicle seatbelt, route the vehicle seatbelt through the guide closest to the seatbelt buckle stalk, and double check that the belt was routed properly through the other belt guides and snug before heading out on the road again. Not any longer time wise IME than using a "traditional" 5-point harnessed carseat. :thumbsup:

Another tip for hot weather/climates: I brought along a towel to drape over the RSTV and vehicle seatbelt whenever we parked to keep the vest's metal guides and all buckles cooler to the touch when parked in the blazing sun and summer heat.

littleangelfire

Exactly - I only unthreaded the one loop that I absolutely had to unthread so I could undo the buckle that's attached to the vest. And the tether wasn't required since I used a lap/shoulder belt, but I felt better using it, and it held the vest up in perfect position to be slid into.

Athena

I think that's what the previous poster was describing to a T. :) We did the same during a recent trip, leaving DD2's RSTV installed as much as possible whenever we parked the rental car, top tethered with the vehicle seatbelt routed as much as possible through the RSTV's shoulder belt and lap belt guides, and only unthreading the vehicle belt from the guide on the vehicle seatbelt buckle stalk's side when exiting the car. You're not required to use the top tether with a lap-shoulder belt but I preferred to do so and it also helped keep the vest in place unoccupied in the car. Then DD2 would just have to put her arms in, buckle up the front of the vest, re-buckle the vehicle seatbelt, route the vehicle seatbelt through the guide closest to the seatbelt buckle stalk, and double check that the belt was routed properly through the other belt guides and snug before heading out on the road again. Not any longer time wise IME than using a "traditional" 5-point harnessed carseat. :thumbsup:

Another tip for hot weather/climates: I brought along a towel to drape over the RSTV and vehicle seatbelt whenever we parked to keep the vest's metal guides and all buckles cooler to the touch when parked in the blazing sun and summer heat.

Thanks for the detailed instructions and the hot weather tip! I can completely picture it now. It sounds like it'll be very convenient and easy to use.

Exactly - I only unthreaded the one loop that I absolutely had to unthread so I could undo the buckle that's attached to the vest. And the tether wasn't required since I used a lap/shoulder belt, but I felt better using it, and it held the vest up in perfect position to be slid into.

Thank you for the original description and for clarifying! We will also be using the tether with a shoulder belt for the convenience of it holding the vest in place and because I feel more comfortable with that, especially given my DD will barely be 4.

I'm getting excited about using the vest! :) Btw, do others put it in their carry on suitcases? It looks like it'd be the right dimensions for that. I'll have to try it in mine. I know I want it on the plane with me so it doesn't get lost, but I just don't know if I've overlooked the best way to transport it. :)

littleangelfire

I took it in my carry-on. I was far too afraid I'd get there without luggage. I can find cheap clothes at Walmart, but I knew I wouldn't be able to find another vest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC