Higher Weight Harness and top tether weight limits- Regent vs. Radian

dicpst

I have been a CPST for 7 years and I learn something new every day! I am looking at 5-point higher weight harnesses for my almost 5 year old dd. I have known that LATCH is good on the Britax seats to 48 pounds - but didn't know that the vehicle manufacturers were not consistent. I was looking at getting the regent for her, however, the 'untethered' harness weight limit is 50 pounds - which I knew, BUT. . . I have an '01 Chrysler van and the top tether weight limit is 48 pounds! The list from Safe Ride News '05 'LATCH: Quick Reference List' does not show any vehicles that actually allow top tethering for shell-type seats until 80 pounds. Some only allow it until 40, some 48 and a few until 60! So even if I could afford a new car there is no point. What are you all doing with the regents past 50 pounds????

I think I might get the radian 65 - she still has 2 1/2 - 3" to the top slot in that - and it doesn't NEED a top tether. Does any one use the Radian - what do you think of it? I am just really dissapointed - I really wanted even higher - she is 49 pounds currently in the integrated seats that go to 50 pounds and does NOT sit well in a booster.

Thanks for your input!
Di

ADS

trailrunnermom

Here is a link to a recent thread that addresses the top tether weight limit issue:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=12875&highlight=top+tether+weight+limit

I have a Britax Husky for DS1 (50 lbs); seat is installed via long-belt-path and top tether is used (not using LATCH anchors since they are rated for 40 lbs in a Honda.)

I really like our Radian, too. And I recommend using the top tether with the Radian because it definitely helps to make the installation more solid.

Your DD will be able to use the Regent even longer than the Radian, so if you want to harness as long as possible, right now the Regent is the way to go. (My DS1 is just barely under the top slot of the Radian, but in the Husky, he's still in the 2nd slot from the top.) HTH and happy car seat shopping! :)

--------------------
DS1 - 5.75 yo, 50 lbs, 47" - Britax Husky / Compass booster
DS2 - 3.25 yo, 38 lbs, 39" - Radian 65 / FPSVD
GN1 - 2.5 yo, 32 lbs - Cosco Scenera RF
GN2 - 3 mos, 14 lbs - Graco Snugride

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's a nice commentary page in your green latch book, I think it's in that thread that trailrunnermom linked to... basically, short answer, keep using the top tether, even if it fails (incredibly unlikely), it will still have done it's job.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC