Taking Bad Seats from Salvation Army Drop Offs?

JOII

I used to post rather infrequently here a while back but we moved and didnt get internet access until now so excuse me for just jumping in here :eek:

Anyway, we went to drop off a bunch of old clothing yesterday at one of those Salvation Army drop off boxes. (the ones that are usually in a store parking lot with no attendant.) To my surprize sitting out side the drop box was a Cosco Shield booster and a Century OHS that expired in 2003. Without even thinking about it I immediatly picked them up and threw them in the trunk of my car to properly dispose of them.

Later I realized that I am pretty sure I have seen signs somewhere on these bins that say removing items from them is illegal?

If they were physically inside the bin I wouldnt have bothered to try but since they were sitting outside of it in plain site I worried that if I didnt take them another person would and would actually use them. Also, there is a large Salvation Army drop off center and thrift shop about 10 miles from where this drop box was and I am sure thats where the seats were headed. I know this Thrift shop sells expired/bad condition seats so even if no one had taken them personally I think they would have been sold at the store anyway.

Anyway I was wondering what anyones opinion was on taking car seats from these boxes and if you think any trouble could come from doing so?

ADS

trailrunnermom

Way to go!

I would hope that someone wouldn't get into trouble for this, but if questioned, I would think that pointing out that they're expired--and that there are good reasons these seats have expiration dates--that they would understand. I hope. I also hope that I would have the forethought and nerves to do the same thing! Again, well done! :)

nisi

Senior Community Member
Hmmm... I think the legality is iffy given that they weren't actually IN the box. But good for you! I probably would have done the same thing.

Morganthe

Later I realized that I am pretty sure I have seen signs somewhere on these bins that say removing items from them is illegal?

If they were physically inside the bin I wouldnt have bothered to try but since they were sitting outside of it in plain site I worried that if I didnt take them another person would and would actually use them. Also, there is a large Salvation Army drop off center and thrift shop about 10 miles from where this drop box was and I am sure thats where the seats were headed. I know this Thrift shop sells expired/bad condition seats so even if no one had taken them personally I think they would have been sold at the store anyway.

Anyway I was wondering what anyones opinion was on taking car seats from these boxes and if you think any trouble could come from doing so?

Well, I say good for you! Personally, I've never ever heard of any legal or civil action against someone who has removed donations from a box EVER! They could do so, but imagine the terrible publicity of a court battle where you are obviously in the ethical right for doing such a thing. All their policies about selling expired baby gear would come out on official public record and be minutely examined. Oh wow, what a public relations nightmare. :p

beeman

Good for you! In essence you are helping them out, and technically it is illegal to use or distribute an expired seat, so you are preventing somone else from breaking the law. If it had to be taken to court, you'd have a good battle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC