True Fit Lock Offs!! Help!!

mamakaimon

OK I'm having trouble with them!

I can't get them to snap back into the locked position! The manual says to press yellow arm into place and turn red lock until it snaps into place.

My hands are bruised from pressing as hard as I can. And I can't get them to lock!

Any tricks? Am I doing something wrong?

ADS

msg221

Make sure that they are first all the way in the unlocked position before you put the arm over the seat belt, then move the lock off arm over to the locked side and you should feel it snap in place. Also make sure the belt isn't twisted or in the way of the lock off.

mamakaimon

Make sure that they are first all the way in the unlocked position before you put the arm over the seat belt, then move the lock off arm over to the locked side and you should feel it snap in place. Also make sure the belt isn't twisted or in the way of the lock off.

No twists. Everything looks like it should. It's just not snapping into place. Am I just not strong enough?

Mae

Sometimes I have to put my hand through the belt path (which hurts) and use the palm of my hand to push down on the red arm, while I'm using all of my body weight. I kind of bounce on it, too. Make sure that you are holding the yellow arm down before pushing the red one closed over it. It kind of takes two hands.

Sometimes it's really easy to close the lock offs, sometimes it's really hard.

Keeanh

There's at least one other recent thread on this:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=133169

I really think if you're having to try that hard, there's a problem somewhere. Make sure there's enough "give" in the belt (I don't want to say "slack") to get the lockoff closed. Make sure everything is centred, lined-up, nothing jamming the hinge or the locking mechanism.

Maybe try it without the seatbelt buckled (just to experiment -- NOT as part of your install!). Just see if you can get everything to work properly without tension on the belt. If you can, then you probably just cinched the belt too tight before trying the lockoffs. When you install, try making the belt hand-tight, and then use your weight to push down on the seat while you close the lockoffs.

mamakaimon

Sometimes I have to put my hand through the belt path (which hurts) and use the palm of my hand to push down on the red arm, while I'm using all of my body weight. I kind of bounce on it, too. Make sure that you are holding the yellow arm down before pushing the red one closed over it. It kind of takes two hands.

Sometimes it's really easy to close the lock offs, sometimes it's really hard.

It started raining again so I brought it inside.

I've got the UAS belt in the belt path (but obviously not attached to anything seeing as we're not in the car) and I've done what you said.

It won't snap into place. The lever goes down but it jiggles an inch and with the force of a flick (so very little) it opens

jess71903

Ambassador
I answered your DS thread, but for anyone else reading here, I'll do it again.

What you are describing is normal. With the UAS strap, there's not enough force up onto the lockoff to make it a tight latch because the single layer or webbing of the strap is just not thick enough. If you had the 2 layers of seatbelt in there, it would click and take more force to open it. Since the lockoffs don't actually hold anything when holding the UAS belt, it's not a problem.

mamakaimon

I answered your DS thread, but for anyone else reading here, I'll do it again.

What you are describing is normal. With the UAS strap, there's not enough force up onto the lockoff to make it a tight latch because the single layer or webbing of the strap is just not thick enough. If you had the 2 layers of seatbelt in there, it would click and take more force to open it. Since the lockoffs don't actually hold anything when holding the UAS belt, it's not a problem.

Thanks again! It's installed now and seems solid. I put pics in my other thread here (anyone have a pontiac grand am?).

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC