best seating for 4 kids in a regular size car?

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I have 4 kids. They are 9 she's like 90lbs, 7 he's like 70lbs, 4 she's 42.5 and almost 2 year old whos like 30lbs.

Right now we have a roundabout facing backwards, a marathon facing forward in the middle, and the other 2 kids sit with seat belts. I drive a 98 buick regal

We have a bunch of differnt carseats sitting not currently in use.

1 regent
2 graco turbo boosters
a few graco cargo boosters (straps go up to 40lbs)
1 britax parkway (the one with the wing thingies)
1 roundabout

I think that covers what i have around not being used. In their dads car a 2003 buick century the set up is a regent on the one side, a cargo booster in the middle so if everyones with him 2 are in seat belts in there to, but if the regent doesn't have one of the little kids in it, the 7 year old goes in it.

Also tethering infor for my 1998 regal would be great.

ADS

all together ooky

Golly! Tough one.
My first thought was that since you probably have front airbags you should start looking for a car with a third row. (Nobody under 12-and I've read 15) should be in the front seat. :(

I wonder what the CPS people will say....

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The back seat is definitely the safest, but it's not always an option. There have been occasions when I've had to put one of my kids in the front. Rule of thumb, put the oldest, properly restrained child in the front. So, if your 9 year old can sit still the entire trip in her booster or regular seatbelt (see 5-Step Test), you would put her in the front seat. If your older two are too wiggly, likely to try to play with the radio, etc, then you are better off putting the child in the front facing 5-point harness in the front seat.

Other points to keep in mind:
  • Never, ever put a rear facing seat in a seating position with an active front airbag.
  • Move the seat as far back as it will go to put more space between the front facing child and the airbag or dashboard.
  • I don't have the exact numbers, but the majority of injuries to children in the front were related to them sitting out of position (slouching, leaning forward, etc).
  • Proper restraint is key! Every passenger needs either an appropriate child restraint/booster or, for adults & children who pass the 5-step test, a seatbelt that includes a shoulder belt. Lap-only belts are only good for installing safety seats.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Yeah it isn't the ideal situation. I had a van but one of the cylinders filled with oil so it isn't very good to drive it anymore. so I'm gonna have this car for awhile. I was a good buy, and has low miles. Not as safe as the van in my mind, but its the best i can do for now. Thats why i want to try to get the kids in the car the safest way possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC