WWYD?

Wife&MomX3

Scenario: Unexpected baby on the way, the old infant carrier and oldest convertible in yer possession will expire before child is born. Living paycheck to paycheck, U qualify for assistance to get an Evenflo Titan to use from birth for $20. U prefer using buckets for infants born in cold months, and U like yer kids to ERF and harness past age 5 as well.

I don't know anything about that seat, other than it only RF to 35# and only FF to 50#. Would U take that deal, or try to scrimp and save before baby comes, borrow a bucket to use for a few months, and then hopefully have enuf saved in a years time for a really nice convertible that will last longer, w/ higher RF and FF limits?

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I personally like the Titan. It will not get you anywhere near 50 pounds though. It does fit newborns pretty well. Do you have someone you trust 100% that will let you borrow an infant bucket? If so, I'd probably go that route and save as much as you can each month ($10 if possible). If you can do $10 a month for what, 6 months of pregnancy and then another 4-6 months of bucket use. That would get you $120. You can get a MyRide for $115 from Walmart.com and then if a great deal comes up, get it.

Or, could you borrow some money now (or see if someone will gift you a little early baby gift) and see if a Kmart near you still has the EFTA. They are closing them out for $54.99. A much better seat that will get you much closer to 50 pounds.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would try to save and get an onboard35 for $99. Ask grandparents to help as a gift to the baby.

The Titan is not a bad seat, but doesn't last long. Our dd outgrew it between 2-3y ff. It has low top slots.

The onboard should last a year, so ask for a convertible for the 1st birthday.

Wife&MomX3

I personally like the Titan. It will not get you anywhere near 50 pounds though. It does fit newborns pretty well. Do you have someone you trust 100% that will let you borrow an infant bucket? If so, I'd probably go that route and save as much as you can each month ($10 if possible). If you can do $10 a month for what, 6 months of pregnancy and then another 4-6 months of bucket use. That would get you $120. You can get a MyRide for $115 from Walmart.com and then if a great deal comes up, get it.

Or, could you borrow some money now (or see if someone will gift you a little early baby gift) and see if a Kmart near you still has the EFTA. They are closing them out for $54.99. A much better seat that will get you much closer to 50 pounds.

Luckily I know a few ppl who will have taken proper care of their bucket seats, who hopefully wont be needing them at that time, and might be willing to lend them to a "carseat freak" like they think I am, lol.

Maedze

If I was in a true budget crunch, I would take the Titan, plan on using it rear facing for roughly 18 months to two years, and then purchase a larger convertible. I wouldn't spend money on an infant seat.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There was a thread a while back about "an infant seat is a luxury". It really is. Luxuries aren't bad -- we all have a few of them -- but they may not be in your budget right now. The Titan will keep your child RFing to 2 or 3. That's at least 24 months. Save $2/week and you'll have $200 to buy a Radian65 or Complete Air to ERF and EH.

Wife&MomX3

Infant seats may well be a luxury, but there is no way Id take my newborn baby in and out of the house in the cold, having to wrap and unwrap them every time we put them in and out of the car, when I have 3 other small kids to help in and out of the car. For a month or two at least, it will be a necessity for my family for me not to go crazy, lol, or have my toddler hurt or wreck something in the car cuz she's bouncing around inside while I try to get the tiny baby in the convertible quick while the cold blows in the door. But no, I won't buy one, thas Y I mentioned borrow.;)

And if my kids outgrew RF in the RA by 18-22 mons, would they have made it to 2 or 3y in the Titan? IDK how high it's shell is?

Chrissy

What type of vehicle are you putting seats into? If you have the space, and don't mind the rear adjust, the Discovery 5 infant bucket is $42 with free site to store shipping http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Discovery-5-Infant-Carrier-Confetti-Aruba-Blue/12960867

We considered using a Discovery 5 as a second seat in my husband's truck, but it butted up against the front seat unless the front seat was pushed all the way forward, and then no one could fit in the front seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC