SN preschooler ona school bus - want to say thanks for all the info

cande

I have a 3 1/2 y/o going to a Special Day Class preschool and is transported via school bus. We use the Evenflo Chase as our bus seat. We started the summer program this week and we dont have our fabulous school-year driver.

From all the info I learned here, I want to say thanks. It gave me enough information to stand up to a bus driver the last two days as he did atrocious installs both days I made him redo do it til he got it right. he tried to make the bus aide do it who was there to deal with two older autistic kids. That isnt her job. After the first incident (lap belt simply drawn across the front of the Chase, to hold dd AND the car seat in place) I called the SD transortation director, who called the bus company telling them to retrain the driver. This morning the driver told me I would have to install the seat. I told him no and I would take her myself as I would nit be there every day at class end to put the seat in for him for the return trip. He finally, after 4 attempts got the seat in right (said his hands were too big). I called the transportation director again and the special ed program officer my for dd that if they couldnt not transport her safely we would withdraw from the program and the School District would have to pay for private therapy.

Well... I go to the school today to pick up dd (she had a dr.'s appointment) and the Bus Company training rep, the District Transportation Director, the School Prinicpal, and the Special Ed Program Director were all there to deal with the driver on Route 6. Turns out the SD guy is a CPST and made the driver prove to him he could install the seat with everyone there.

I am thinking the driver might be a little better tomorrow...

So thank you and I hope I also made a difference for a lot if little kids to day. there is a little girl on the bus with DS and maybe weighs 25 pounds. At least she was in a 5 point, but god only knows how it was installed.

ADS

MomToEliEm

That is great that you had the courage to stand up to that driver. How was the bus ride this morning? Was the seat installed well?

cande

Well today went much better. Driver smiled and actually got out of his seat as I stood at the bottom step with the Chase. I didnt have dd with me at the curb, but on the front porch with grandma. I wasnt at all sure she would get on the bis today.

He got the seat in right in about the same amount of time as our regular school year driver. The aide, however, had to talk him thru the 5 point harness, but she wouldn't do it for him.

My hope is the "kerfuffle" I caused wth 2 phone calls starts to reinforce to the bus comapny they HAVE to train/re-train drivers on car seat installs if they are going to transport SN preschoolers.

Once again - thanks to everyone here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC