Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Community Member MySillyKids's Avatar

Re: harness for a 21 year old

I'm not sure how safe this would be, but this lady: http://www.childharness.ca/buckle_covers.html makes buckle covers that are hard to get off. I just ordered a harness from her, and those buckle covers, for my SN 4 year old.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I had to spend 15 min getting the velcro under one of the side of the buckle. I do not think that would work, but thanks for the idea. If it was not so hard to get it under then i would consider it.

Still waiting for an email back. If I don't hear today, I will call her tomorrow.

Why is he getting out, what is his goal? Does he not like being so restrained? Is it possible that he would do better in just the seatbelt?

I understand that there are many things in this world that I don't understand, but I'm finding myself a little confused about keeping an adult, even one with severe ADHD, essentially shackled against his will.

I am sorry if my questions are offensive; they come from an honest interest in helping.
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

he needs the extra support when in a car/bus that is why he needs to wear it. He does not like wearing the harness because he says "it does not look cool" That is one of the reasons that i got from him witch could be the reason he wants to take it off. I would love to get him something else (like shown below) that he can not get out of but w/o looking to overseas that only take a different currency. and yes that is from over seas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

I think Qarin's point is "if" you might be able to reason with him a bit. Since he doesn't think the harness "looks cool" maybe you can say, well, if you sit still the whole ride in the seatbelt, then you don't need the harness. If you move out of place (I would might say "too much" because as an adult, I do move out of position from time to time) then you need the harness again. And then maybe take extra time with each trip, start with seatbelt, if he doesn't sit, then harness. Maybe, he will start to sit longer and longer without the harness. Just a thought.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Qarin View Post
    Why is he getting out, what is his goal? Does he not like being so restrained? Is it possible that he would do better in just the seatbelt?

I understand that there are many things in this world that I don't understand, but I'm finding myself a little confused about keeping an adult, even one with severe ADHD, essentially shackled against his will.

I am sorry if my questions are offensive; they come from an honest interest in helping.
    Qarin, I am confused. Are you saying that if your child is 18 and living with you, they do not have to wear a seat belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    Qarin, I am confused. Are you saying that if your child is 18 and living with you, they do not have to wear a seat belt?
    I don't think that is what she said She asked whether he might just do better in JUST a seatbelt, since he keeps fighting and getting out of the restraints.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

10. Thank You from:

If you want I can go into the EZ-On office and tell them to respond already - lol! Their office is literally down the street from me

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    If you want I can go into the EZ-On office and tell them to respond already - lol! Their office is literally down the street from me
    Eh, I would do it regardless what the op said. It is just wrong that they haven't at least responded to the requests!
    Whatever Wendy said

yea that would be great, thanks . I never got any instructions to see if i am even using the upper arm restraints correctly. There is a pic in an earlier post that is shows how i have him using them now.

I found a pair of wetsuit mittens , they have a velcro wrap that goes around them, at an estate sale i will see if he can still unclip himself with just the vest and no wrist restraints. Let's hope for the best

Ok, I heard back, and even she is at a loss. She says you really need to meet with a tech that has special needs training and also, we need to find you help at EZ On. So, where do you live?

Was someone going to go check with EZ On? I swear someone said they would.

Ok, just got another email. Looks like I will be contacting the owner of EZ On. Any other pics you can take would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    Ok, I heard back, and even she is at a loss. She says you really need to meet with a tech that has special needs training and also, we need to find you help at EZ On. So, where do you live?

Was someone going to go check with EZ On? I swear someone said they would.
    There you go Judi
    Whatever Wendy said

would Upper Arm Restraint Sewn Onto Vest keep him from taking off the vest? I know that they would keep his arms a little further apart meaby that would work i am using the portable ones now. He seems to be finally getting it that he can not take off the vest when in a car even though he had no mitten or wrist restraints on, something must have clicked. I will keep you updated, but i would still like to know what e-z on says.

does he have an OT or behaviorist, clinician even? I, as a SN tech an a bit uncomfortable with this level of restraint being used with out a consult with a professional familiar with your son. Perhaps we can find a SN tech near you to work with you and some of his workers

20. Thank You from:

ok what about the back zip easy on without any added restraints tether straps sewn on to the d rings that go to ez-on mounts on the floor behind the seat with the clips there. it would be less restraining (read less irritating) but impossible for passenger to remove by himself.
    I would then make sure to have a seatbelt cutter in the car incase of accident as this would not be quick or easy to remove in case of emergency.

seems like a good idea. i use the 103z model so if i sewn the d-rings to the mount's clips that i use would that work or are you looking at a different model?
    Last edited by powerlad; 07-15-2010 at 07:52 PM.

I hae emailed someone to help. Will post back.