Regent manual - missing buckle touching seat warning

wondering1

I believe that both the Marathon and the Roundabout manuals have pictures and warnings against the buckle being in contact with the car seat. The Regent manual has no such warning.

The top of the male part of the buckle is in contact with the seat with my install. The tech suggested we leave it without twisting the female part of the buckle and that I should call Britax to see what they say.

Any experience with this? I was surprized that the instruction was missing from the Regent manual.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's almost impossible to install that seat without the buckle touching the seat or being in the belt path(which is actually what's not allowed on the MA/RA, because if it's a locking latchplate, it will loosen when tipped into the belt path), so having that kind of warning would kind of make the seat useless in most cars. Does it seem in danger of imminent seatbelt release? Do you have a latchplate that's tipped and is the seatbelt loosening just from you pushing on it? If not, then no worries :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I believe that both the Marathon and the Roundabout manuals have pictures and warnings against the buckle being in contact with the car seat. The Regent manual has no such warning.

The top of the male part of the buckle is in contact with the seat with my install. The tech suggested we leave it without twisting the female part of the buckle and that I should call Britax to see what they say.

Any experience with this? I was surprized that the instruction was missing from the Regent manual.

What Regent do you have? Someone just posted about a Britax recall on the seat covers in Classic that were manufactured in late 2006 (don't know exact dates). They were missing some kind of warning - not sure if this affects you or not, but maybe that's it?

ETA: Here's the link to the other thread about the recall: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=13090

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Sorry - I misread your original post. :) I thought you meant that the Regent manual had a warning but the seat cover did not... :rolleyes: Now I see what you're talking about - it's not the Regent manual at all. Got it! FYI, we tried out a Regent in our car, and I installed a Regent for my niece - I agree with Julie - I believe it's so wide that the buckle has to touch it somewhere...

Anyway, sorry for jumping in here and reading your original post too fast! And glad you got the clarification that you need...

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
There is no way that my seat buckle doesn't touch the back of the shell. Esepcially since i'm using the short belt path. Maybe it's different in the MA and the RA because they have a "base" and the Regent doesn't.

lynsgirl

It's almost impossible to install that seat without the buckle touching the seat or being in the belt path(which is actually what's not allowed on the MA/RA, because if it's a locking latchplate, it will loosen when tipped into the belt path), so having that kind of warning would kind of make the seat useless in most cars. Does it seem in danger of imminent seatbelt release? Do you have a latchplate that's tipped and is the seatbelt loosening just from you pushing on it? If not, then no worries :)

Yep.

Image13-1.jpg

This isn't unusual at all. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm doing a lap-only install.

So that's why I asked... does the belt loosen when you tug the seat back and forth a few times (indicating the latchplate is tipped and won't hold tighty) or does it seem in imminent danger of the buckle releasing? If not, still no worries :)

wondering1

So, this weekend, I re-routed the belt under the (severely compressed) gray foam. Previously, I had it under the cover but not under the foam. I tightened the belt as much as I could and then found that the buckle was protruding the seating area of the occupant of the Regent. About 1/4" to 1/2" into the seating area. I called Britax and they do suggest twisting the belt stalk. Should I only twist once if that is all that is needed? Can I twist twice if it'll secure in the backwards position?

I've also moved the harness height up one because I keep wondering if it is too low....I just keep not being sure about it. I think that when DC is strapped in, it is okay but if he is just sitting in the seat, it seems his shoulders are too high.

Here's a picture of the buckle protruding:

my.php

The bump ends up under DC's left elbow but when you slam back into the seat, who knows what angle you'll be at.

Thanks for the continued help!

lynsgirl

You can twist a buckle stalk up to 3 full twists. A half-twist is when you just flip the buckle over so it's upside down. A full twist would bring it around to right-side-up again. So if 3 full twists will help get it out of the belt path more, then I'd try that :).

wondering1

2 twists got it out of protruding mode...if I did three then it would probably be clear of the car seat entirely but I think it is safe now. A half twist caused the belt to wrinkle so I did full twists.

I dropped the harness again back to where I had it. DC giggles and avoids every time I try to check harness height - thinks I'm trying to tickle!

It is rock solid again. Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC