Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

I actually talked to someone!

You know, I'm a non assertive person. I don't like confrontations. I normally only talk about car seats online or in my head.

There's this mom with two kids, slightly older than my 5 and 3 year olds. We met each other at the school and set up a playdate for this afternoon. Mom happened to park next to my van. She put her ds into his century STE OHS seat, then came around to the driver's side, which is where my van was with the open door. She asked about ds2's seat. Then asked if dd4 sat in the front seat, since I had a freecycle infant seat sitting there. I told her no, that that was an old, expired seat that I was going to take to be recycled. Then she told me she'd take my kids home from her house, but I told her I'd pick them up myself because my kids had to be in car seats. She then asked about dd3's weight and told me her dd has been 40 pounds and in a booster since age 4. I told her about ds1 who was too wiggly to sit in one till he was 7. Then I mentioned that she might check her ds' seat to see if it was expired since we used to have the same seat and it expired in 2007. (I know her seat is expired, but I think she should be the one to discover that.) Then I mentioned that there would be a car seat check tomorrow. She wants me to bring the information over when my kids go to her house. Yay! I don't know if she'll actually go, but I actually talked to her and maybe she will get a new seat for her ds!
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I actually talked to someone!

Way to go Christine! That's great. I'm a bit reserved myself. I don't usually talk about seats except when someone asks. People I work with know I'm a CPST. Or to my dd about her kids, of course!
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

I think you did great at talking with her. I hope she reads the info you bring over to her and she makes it to the seat check tomorrow.
    Katy

Way to go! You did a great job!

I ended up taking dd to the er instead of the playdate, but the mom actually came to my house to get info on the car seat check. She said she got the seat for free from a friend when her 6 year old was little and so she knew it was old. I hope she goes because I saw that her dd buckles with the shoulderbelt behind her back. Her dd has two seats- a backless turbo and a right fit.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

CPS Technician

You took your dd to the er? I hope she is ok!!!

Good for you for talking to her in a way that allowed her to make some changes and not feel confronted. Hopefully she will go to the seat check!!!!
    Tanya

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
    Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster

Awesome! Very slick how you let her "discover" it was expired.

Quote Originally Posted by christineka View Post
    I normally only talk about car seats online or in my head.
    LOL! Especially if I can't sleep, I do that a lot .

Quote Originally Posted by tanyaandallie View Post
    You took your dd to the er? I hope she is ok!!!
    Yeah, she fell in the gym at school and split her chin open. She's the first of our kids now to actually need stitches. With her clumsiness, it will be very good if she can manage not to split them open. The child was walking around the er room with her eyes closed...

I think my friend will actually go to the checkup. She said the time was perfect.
    Christine *mom* to

CPS Advocate

I like the way you handled that. It was discreet and professional.