I saw a very serious car accident yesterday

thatlingirl

and it is absolutely haunting me. THIS is why we make sure our babies are as safe as possible.

It was an SUV in the fast lane. I was far enough behind to not see exactly what the initial event was (not sure if someone bumped them or they overcorrected or whatnot), just saw the SUV veer left at about 60 or 65 I'd guess -- thankfully into a grassy cleared section of the highway divider that the police use to change directions. It flipped and rolled 2 or 3 times, ending upside down.

I was in the slow lane and couldn't get over but the next 3 cars behind that car pulled off immediately and I saw people running out to help. I'm CPR trained at a basic level and am feeling guilty that I couldn't safely get over there -- hopefully someone else was more trained than I and able to get to them immediately (though I know they shouldn't be moved anyway). Hopefully there were no children in the car and hopefully if there were they were properly retrained. Hopefully everyone inside survived.

Absolutely terrifying and sobering. Drive carefully, friends.

ADS

mrs_teeee67

I flipped 2 and a half times when my oldest was 5 months old. This was WAY back in 1988. I knew to have him in a seat but no more. He was IN the seat when we stopped (upside down) but actually had wiggled out of the straps by the time a lady grabbed him. Even with that much mis-use, he only had teeny tiny pin pricks on him from glass.

*knew so little back then, but knew I was NOT putting him back in a car without a seat, so his dad had to go track down the wrecking yard and make them open to get my baby's seat before I'd leave the hospital lol

My point,, if they were restrained, it may have been fine for everyone. :)

Sadierain

Hubby and I saw an accident very similar to that a couple of years back when we were driving to Texas. They veered off into the median and rolled several times. They had 3 kids in the backseat, thank god all were properly restrained - the baby in the carseat was fine, the older girls got broken arms from bumping against it, but that's all. Unfortunately the parents didn't survive. :(
Please drive safely!

macmomma

I hope the people were okay!

A few years ago we got rear ended on the interstate by a car going at least 70mph, she had 2 small (under 4 years old) children unrestraint in the car.... they had to use the jaws of live to extract everyone:(
They all did survive but hubby still has a hard time thinking about those kids- I think the worst part was hearing the momma screaming for her kids.....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC