Question Stroller for disney

stjemmes

We are planning a trip to Disney in the fall and here is our issue-

We are taking four children ages 10yrs,7yrs,5yrs and 3yrs old. My oldest daughter is 10yrs old and weighs 62lbs She has Cerebral Palsey in her lower legs whcih causes her to not be able to walk far and it not hurt or her to get tired easy. In the past we used a Chicco C5 but now she is to big and we need something for the trip that pushes easy and holds a larger kid maybe something the 3yr old can ride in too. So tell me what should I get. Mind you I will be looking into getting something used since its not going to be used much or at all after the trip.

ADS

Maedze

Get a letter from her physician and rent a wheelchair while you're there. It will be more dignified for her than a stroller, and (at least this used to be the policy), you'll bypass the worst of the lines if you have a person in a wheelchair in your party.

You can just rent it for the days or times she needs one, and pack a small umbrella stroller for the three year old.

Qarin

My parents and I switched to using a wheelchair around when my kids were 7 and 4- my parents happened to have one they'd gotten for a relative in the past (a small-wheeled transport chair; I just picked up a decent condition large-wheeled one at a yard sale which we'll take down next time). The nice thing about the wheelchair is it becomes a place any of us could sit down to watch a show, or wait, or even get pushed if we're especially tired (or someone's foot problems are acting up), and also both of my kids at age could sort of squish together in it if they had to/we let them, but we could also strongly encourage them to just walk (and so the wheel chair can carry all the Stuff).

We don't use the wheelchair to access anything "special" at Disneyland or anything (other than, sometimes, using the handicapped seating area for shows/parades, if my mom is really needing to sit), it's just a kind of stroller-alternative and available seat.

So, my only point is, I think that could make sense for your situation, too.

Qarin

Get a letter from her physician and rent a wheelchair while you're there.

At least at Disneyland, you do not need any documentation to rent a wheelchair.

Also, at least at Disneyland, many of the handicapped lines are worse than the regular lines as far as wait times. If you need them, you need them, of course, and if you do I would definitely recommending talking to Guest Services about the accomodations you need and how to go about getting them... they love that stuff and are really good about it.

monstah

My MIL just got back from Disney and while she was there she rented one of those hoverround type of scooters. (She does have a disability.) And when I asked if it was harder doing things with the scooter she and her DH raved about how great and accommodating Disney was for her. I think a wheelchair would be the way to go.

Also, have a sister who needs a wheelchair but can walk, I agree with the PP who said the wheel chair makes a great spot for anyone to rest. :thumbsup:

scoutingbear

Anyone can rent a wheelchair, but if she truly has a disability, have a physician note and take it to "City Hall" on mainstreet for the handicapped wristband. That will allow you to access the disabled line on the rides. Yes, sometimes the wait in that line is LONGER than the wait in the other lines (Pirates, Small World to name a couple) but if she truly needs it, it is the way to go.

At CA Adventure all the lines are wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs, so there is no separate line at that park for almost all the rides.

Qarin

At CA Adventure all the lines are wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs, so there is no separate line at that park for almost all the rides.

(The OP is in Florida, so I'm guessing they're going to Disneyworld (which is what most people seem to mean when they say "going to Disney"))

Peony

I just returned from Disney World. I saw numerous children in wheelchairs and many more older adults using scooters. I was behind one girl aged 10-11 who appeared to have CP or something similar. They wheeled her up to the entrance, we had fast passes for this ride as did this family so we were able to walk right on and then she could walk from there to the ride with assistance. A wheelchair at that age is certainly the way to go.

stjemmes

I agree that a wheelchair is more then likely the way to go BUT I am concerned about her feeling weird in one. She has alot of issues right now with her CP and people noticing it. Several years ago we went to SeaWorld and they were wonderful. She was able to skip the lines and the stroller we had at the time was tagged as a wheelchair. Since it was a stroller she was not so worried about having to sit in it.

I know that there is no way she can be without something for long in Disney. Does anyone have an recs for a jogging stroller or something simular. I would like to weigh all our options and see what she would perfur before I decide. Thanks!!!!

Maedze

There are special needs jogging strollers with higher weight limits, but they're really expensive. http://www.dmartstores.com/kostsusspnej.html

Standard strollers, even nice ones, are not going to fit her and she will be too heavy for. They cap out at 55 lbs.

When I was 11, we went to Disney 3 weeks after I dislocated my knee and was in a huge brace :rolleyes: It was a pleasant experience (I mean, as pleasant as it is to sit in a wheel chair with a huge brace on your leg when it's 80 degrees out :rolleyes:)

I think people are less likely to look at a 10 year old in a wheel chair than a 10 year old in something people associate with babies and toddlers.

monstah

Can you bring her to BRU or Buy Buy Baby and have her try them all out to see whats comfortable for her? Then, look for a used one.

Has she used a wheelchair before or just strollers? Would she consider shopping at the mall in a stroller & a rented wheelchair? Maybe that would give her an idea of what she is most comfortable in? She may have a sigh of relief when she realizes wheelchairs aren't a big deal. Or, maybe she will get upset and be super uncomfortable. Could a "trial run" help her decide? Unless, she has used wheelchairs before and already knows she doesn't like them.

FWIW, when I moved to NJ, I went to a parade with my SIL and her 5 year old DS. She whipped out a stroller for him and I thought it was so weird. I was even embarrassed. :eek: (This was before I had kids, so no flaming.) But, if I see a 10 year old in a wheel chair or specialized stroller, I don't even bat my eyes.

Maedze

Can you bring her to BRU or Buy Buy Baby and have her try them all out to see whats comfortable for her? Then, look for a used one.

Has she used a wheelchair before or just strollers? Would she consider shopping at the mall in a stroller & a rented wheelchair? Maybe that would give her an idea of what she is most comfortable in? She may have a sigh of relief when she realizes wheelchairs aren't a big deal. Or, maybe she will get upset and be super uncomfortable. Could a "trial run" help her decide? Unless, she has used wheelchairs before and already knows she doesn't like them.

FWIW, when I moved to NJ, I went to a parade with my SIL and her 5 year old DS. She whipped out a stroller for him and I thought it was so weird. I was even embarrassed. :eek: (This was before I had kids, so no flaming.) But, if I see a 10 year old in a wheel chair or specialized stroller, I don't even bat my eyes.

At 62 pounds, the girls exceeds the weight limits on even the most generously sized standard strollers, so the options from baby stores won't work for her.

monstah

At 62 pounds, the girls exceeds the weight limits on even the most generously sized standard strollers, so the options from baby stores won't work for her.

I understand that, but if she will only consider a stroller they will either find one that works and accept the risks of going over the weight limit. Or, realize a wheelchair is the best option and go from there...

Maedze

I don't think it's so much a 'risk' (not like it's a car seat or anything), it's just it would strain the capacity of the frame. So the frame would probably start to buckle, and it would be a serious PITA to push.

OP, maybe a medical supplies store has a special needs stroller they could rent you?

monstah

I don't think it's so much a 'risk' (not like it's a car seat or anything), it's just it would strain the capacity of the frame. So the frame would probably start to buckle, and it would be a serious PITA to push.

Aa I was typing, I couldn't come up with another word other than "risk" but that's what I meant. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC