What kind of crib should I buy for my new baby?

rosey2007

I currently have a Delta Luv crib from ds1and it is 5 years old but I have owned it since it was new. It does have a drop rail on it, so I am a little worried about that.
I thought that maybe I should just buy a new crib and not have to worry about all the safety issues that I might have with the one that I have now. Anyway, I was thinking about buying a Graco crib. It seems really sturdy and very solid. Does anyone know if these cribs are made from hardwood or particle board?

ADS

nevaehsmommy

I dont know about cribs these days. Seems like they are all being recalled.

I eneded up sleeping with my baby. She was happier I was happier. And in the end my crib was recalled a few weeks ago. Argg. Paid a pretty penny to.

What about buying a bassinet and wait and see closer to your due date what cribs are recalled between now and then.

If my understanding is correct the Cpsc is urging parents not to use drop down cribs

"Drop-Down Side Cribs Eyed For CPSC Ban
A massive new crib recall is expected to be announced today by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This follows a series of prior recalls by the CPSC, but this has a major difference: the CPSC is reportedly considering a ban on all cribs with drop-down sides"

http://www.huliq.com/3257/89032/drop-down-side-cribs-eyed-cpsc-ban

"Consumers have complained that mattress supports failed in these Delta crib models, public records show. The cribs have not been recalled, but federal regulators are investigating the issue:"

Athens
Luv 5 in 1
Luv Duchess 3 in 1
Luv Millennium
Luv Sleigh 5 in 1
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-081115cribs,0,4984240.story

AtTheSouthDam

I haven't looked at cribs in a long while but I would will to bet anything less than $200 is not going to be hardwood. That doesn't mean it won't last. DD2 furniture is all particle board, I didn't want to spend much but I wanted stuff small enough for her to use.

I have this crib: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Babys-Dream-Furniture-Serenity-Convertible/dp/B003CTAA6U"]Amazon.com: Baby's Dream Furniture Serenity Convertible Crib: Baby[/ame]
I love it. I bought it before all the drop down side recalls. I never liked drop down sides anyway, I was terrible at getting them to work. It is expensive but it makes a positively lovely full size sleigh bed. Once my children are in seperate room it will be DD1's until college, hopefully.

vonfirmath

We have a drop side crib and will happily use it again for the next baby. CPSC has shown themselves quite willing to ban safe stuff along with dangerous stuff if that is where political pressure leads them. And then to give the same folk who have proven themselves dangerous the ability to "police themselves" internally while completely putting out business folk that never had problems. So I will use my drop side crib if we are able to put it back together without problems and ignore "recommendations" that I don't agree with.

rosey2007

I think that I will probably just replace the Delta Luv crib. My soon to be ex husband drilled holes in the bottom of the crib to lower the mattress for my son, so that he would not have too far to fall when it was my son's toddler bed. Could you guys recommend any other cribs that might be affordable and safe.

rosey2007

I am short also so maybe this crib would work well for me lol. I do not have an Ikea around in my area and was wondering how sturdy these are?

rochelle

I am short also so maybe this crib would work well for me lol. I do not have an Ikea around in my area and was wondering how sturdy these are?

My friend has been using the Ikea Gulliver crib for her son since Sep 07. Its still holding up as a temporary "playyard" for mummy's toilet breaks

Athena

It's been a few years since we bought one. I would look closely at the hardware, quality, and how it is held together. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC