Europe???

kpayne

Where would I find the safety guidlines for europe (Germany)! I am researching for my next child seat and I will be moving to Germany in June! My husband is in the airforce and I don't want to rely on the government to get me the info!;) Also I will be flying there so I am not sure how car seats should be installed in a plane... I am hoping my son wont grow out of his infant seat untill after we get to Germany but if not I want to be prepared!?:confused:

ADS

Morganthe

Congrats on moving to Germany. I'm envious. I've been back a year in the US after a 7 year stint and I miss it very much.

Thanks to the SOFA (Status of Forces Act), the agreement is that for service members what car seats are legal in the US to sell & use are authorized for overseas usage too. However, it can be difficult to get a certain type of car seat just because of shipping issues. So if you decide on one you want for the next stage BEFORE you go, it might be easier. You'll be able to try it out, see what you like, and price it without having to guess. If you're planning on shipping a vehicle over, it might be easier to try out your car with a new car seat this way.

Since you're AF, I bet you're either headed to Ramstein or Spang/Bitburg area. Ramstein is supposed to have its super dooper whopper of a BX completely built this year, but they've had a lot of delays due to weather & vandalism in the last year. It WAS supposed to be completed Feb of last year. Just because the store size is larger, don't count on any more stocking of baby gear. Span/Bit is in the boonies. Nice boonies though. Well suited to visit Benelux, Trier, Mosel, Koln, & N. France, but annoyingly short on much of the usual stock. You have to shop between 1 base & an annex to locate anything. Even then, there's no guarantee.

European car seats are easy to install and I just discovered from another poster there's even a model that rf & ff... Wavo Carseat
But if you want to try out the Britax line in person, you should do so before leaving the States.

As for flying over -- are you flying commercial to Frankfurt or the no brand airlines to Ramstein directly? Either way, you should have no problems installing your car seat in the aircraft. Being military, regardless of age, your child WILL have his/her own seat. Tickets are issued to every single member of the family.

If you have pets, be sure to reserve spots on the flight as soon as you get your port call. There will be an extra fee for them, but you can deduct any boarding, transportation, and prep costs along with other unreimbursed costs on your 2007 taxes. Just file a 1040 + moving expenses worksheet. It's a deduction that's made without itemizing. Almost everything you spend out of pocket --that the military does not reimburse you for -- (except meals) is allowable UNTIL you get to your new location. Then it's all on you. Even extra or overweight baggage, shipping boxes, rental cars & house cleaning services. Just thought you'd like to know :)
hth & sorry to blather on as usual. :)

kpayne

Congrats on moving to Germany. I'm envious. I've been back a year in the US after a 7 year stint and I miss it very much.

Thanks to the SOFA (Status of Forces Act), the agreement is that for service members what car seats are legal in the US to sell & use are authorized for overseas usage too. However, it can be difficult to get a certain type of car seat just because of shipping issues. So if you decide on one you want for the next stage BEFORE you go, it might be easier. You'll be able to try it out, see what you like, and price it without having to guess. If you're planning on shipping a vehicle over, it might be easier to try out your car with a new car seat this way.

Since you're AF, I bet you're either headed to Ramstein or Spang/Bitburg area. Ramstein is supposed to have its super dooper whopper of a BX completely built this year, but they've had a lot of delays due to weather & vandalism in the last year. It WAS supposed to be completed Feb of last year. Just because the store size is larger, don't count on any more stocking of baby gear. Span/Bit is in the boonies. Nice boonies though. Well suited to visit Benelux, Trier, Mosel, Koln, & N. France, but annoyingly short on much of the usual stock. You have to shop between 1 base & an annex to locate anything. Even then, there's no guarantee.

European car seats are easy to install and I just discovered from another poster there's even a model that rf & ff... Wavo Carseat
But if you want to try out the Britax line in person, you should do so before leaving the States.

As for flying over -- are you flying commercial to Frankfurt or the no brand airlines to Ramstein directly? Either way, you should have no problems installing your car seat in the aircraft. Being military, regardless of age, your child WILL have his/her own seat. Tickets are issued to every single member of the family.

If you have pets, be sure to reserve spots on the flight as soon as you get your port call. There will be an extra fee for them, but you can deduct any boarding, transportation, and prep costs along with other unreimbursed costs on your 2007 taxes. Just file a 1040 + moving expenses worksheet. It's a deduction that's made without itemizing. Almost everything you spend out of pocket --that the military does not reimburse you for -- (except meals) is allowable UNTIL you get to your new location. Then it's all on you. Even extra or overweight baggage, shipping boxes, rental cars & house cleaning services. Just thought you'd like to know :)
hth & sorry to blather on as usual. :)

Thank you so much!!! I think that I will just stick with an american seat! He has a long way before graduating! He is a little guy!!:) I am really just trying to make the best decision on a seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC