nissan versa three across?

mommyfrog

I checked the three across thread with no luck. My sister is thinking about getting a 2010 Nissan Versa. She has two kids and one on the way. When the baby is born she will have 6 year old, 3.5 year old, and nb. The 5.5 year old mostly uses the Regent right now but does great in a booster already. She is 48 pounds and 44 inches now. The almost 3 year old is rf in her Marathon right now but is pretty small, not much bigger than my 2 year old, about 30 pounds and 35-36 inches. She is happy with rfing or ffing her at that point. The seats she has right now are Regent, Marathon, SS1, and a Turbo. Would it be possible to do three across with the infant seat and any two of the others? Or will she need a Radian in the mix? She is open to selling some of the ones she has or just installing them in her dh's truck. You could fit three Regents across that thing!! Any opinions other than going and trying them out?!!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would in general never recommend a 3 child family buy a new 5 seater vehicle. 3-acrosses are hard, what happens when a kid wants to bring a friend somewhere? and what happens if you decide to have (or have an oops) 4th child child come along?

JOII

I am interested as well, we are considering getting my husband an old model for his commuter vehicle. It would be a VERY rare occasion seats would need to be in it, but in case they did I would love to know what is doable.

Maedze

I strongly, strongly recommend against a Versa for a 3-across vehicle. I have to do one regularly in my sister's vehicle and it's pretty bad.

You'd need three Radians, and no matter which position you put the rear facing Radian in, one or both front seats will have to be uncomfortably far forward. My sister is 5'10 and she can barely drive with the Radian in the middle, which is where it needs to be to accommodate 2 other forward-facing seats.

The only booster that works with two other Radians is the FPSV and that's been discontinued.

mommyfrog

Okay. Thanks. I'll let her know that. Her Voyager is dying so they are looking for a replacement. I tried to talk her into getting another van. My dd likes to go spend the night at their house and stuff like that. Her dh is saying they can't buy a car to accomodate other people's kids, but when you have kids, they have cousins/friends. They come with the kids. Well, you guys understand!! Anyway she was looking at the Taurus X and similar vehicles so I'm not sure where the Versa came from. Maybe a good sale or something.

pj2rc

Okay. Thanks. I'll let her know that. Her Voyager is dying so they are looking for a replacement. I tried to talk her into getting another van. My dd likes to go spend the night at their house and stuff like that. Her dh is saying they can't buy a car to accomodate other people's kids, but when you have kids, they have cousins/friends. They come with the kids. Well, you guys understand!! Anyway she was looking at the Taurus X and similar vehicles so I'm not sure where the Versa came from. Maybe a good sale or something.

lol --I don't have any seat recommendations, but had to chime in! :yeahthat: that's why I bought a van w/ just 2 kids! My mom travels w/ us quite often too, and no adult fits well in a 2nd row that has 2 car seats in it. And i knew there would be other travelling companions at some point. I hope she finds a vehicle that suits their needs.

InternationalMama

My sister is 5'10 and she can barely drive with the Radian in the middle, which is where it needs to be to accommodate 2 other forward-facing seats.

This is interesting because there is another poster on this board who said that you can fit a Radian in the middle RF because it can fit between the two front seats. Perhaps there are differences in the model years? I have an RF ComfortSport in the middle of a Versa right now and I didn't have to move the front seats up at all to put it in. (I know it's no Radian!)

There is a thread about seats in a Nissan Versa in the car safety forum if you want to search for it. I'm a bit bummed out because until today we had an infant seat here and I could have taken some pics for you!

InternationalMama

Because I'm really curious about Radians in Nissan Versas, I found that other thread from the car safety forum I was talking about here.

Also, here's a link (provided in that thread) to another thread where the poster says she was able to get 2 FF Radians and 1 FF Wizard in her Nissan Versa 3-across. Someone suggested using an RSTV in there to get 3 across here.

Maedze

Because I'm really curious about Radians in Nissan Versas, I found that other thread from the car safety forum I was talking about here.

Also, here's a link (provided in that thread) to another thread where the poster says she was able to get 2 FF Radians and 1 FF Wizard in her Nissan Versa 3-across. Someone suggested using an RSTV in there to get 3 across here.

She said she could fit it in between the front seats, which is what I also said. However, she did NOT say she could do it without moving the driver's seat up. Which you can't.

The person who claimed a FF Wizard between two Radians was not a technician. I strongly suspect her outboard Radians were not independently secure.

InternationalMama

She said she could fit it in between the front seats, which is what I also said. However, she did NOT say she could do it without moving the driver's seat up. Which you can't.

The person who claimed a FF Wizard between two Radians was not a technician. I strongly suspect her outboard Radians were not independently secure.

Thanks for the clarification. We would really like to be able to put 2 adults and an RF child in the back seat comfortably and I was thinking about getting a Radian to install center for this purpose, but it sounds like it probably won't work anyway. I like the CS in the center, but at least the way I had it installed most recently you couldn't put 2 adults on either side because the bottom of the CS would occasionally unbuckle the seatbelt of one of the adults.

It really almost become a 4-person car as soon as you put a child restraint in there.

Maedze

It really almost become a 4-person car as soon as you put a child restraint in there.

Unfortunately, that's true of many 5-passenger cars, even ones that market themselves as 'family' sedans.

We (as of last week) own a Sonata and I decided to wedge myself between my son's rear facing Radian and my daughter's forward facing Radian for a drive this morning.

Um. DH had to pull me out :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC