Car suggestions

Maedze

Requirements

1. 2007 MY or later
2. Third row OR 3-across friendly second row
3. Driver's seat vertical leg room (no very low-riding seats)
4. Mileage under 50K.
5. Under 12K

I like the Mazda5, but to get the price we want, we'd have to go with a higher-mileage older model with no rear air.

Kia Rondo is definitely on the list. Someone suggested the Pacifica. Yea or Nay?

ADS

Pixels

Chevy Impala, Chrysler Sebring, Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Caravan, Ford Taurus, Toyota Corolla (hey, KQ seems to think it works well for 3-across)

Some of those are sedans, I'm not sure how the vertical legroom will be. The vehicles I listed definitely meet requirements 1, 4, and 5. I did my best on three-across friendly.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Kia Sedona? I see a few towards the top of your mileage and price range, but with careful shopping and negotiating, it might be doable.

ca2003

Chevy Impala, Chrysler Sebring, Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Caravan, Ford Taurus, Toyota Corolla (hey, KQ seems to think it works well for 3-across)

Some of those are sedans, I'm not sure how the vertical legroom will be. The vehicles I listed definitely meet requirements 1, 4, and 5. I did my best on three-across friendly.

I have a 2008 Impala and the drivers side seat can adjust up and down. I keep the drivers seat raised pretty high (not low riding) and I keep the steering wheel in the middle position and I can get in and out easily. I am 5'7'' - when I have on higher heels (over 2 inches) I sometimes pop the steering wheel up. I also keep the seat almost all the way back from the wheel.

If you go with an Impala be sure it has side airbags. I wasn't careful enough when we bought ours and it does not have side airbags.

momtoirs

We just got an 09 Kia Rondo with under 10K miles for under 14K with tax, title, license and our trade in (00 Subaru Impreza needing 1K+ work). So far, we're happy.

Tina

StillThankful

Hi Maedze, good to see you back on here--we missed you.

I looked on Carmax, entered your desired features, used my MIL's zip (more variety in MD) and came up with Pixel's suggestion of the Chrysler Town and Country:

2007 Chrysler Town and Country 4D Pass Van
49K miles
Dealer Processing Charge $99
Maryland No-haggle price $12,097*
Equipment
3rd Rear Seat Cloth Seats
Air Conditioning Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo Power Locks
Automatic Transmission Power Windows
CD Audio: CD Player Rear Defroster
Specifications
Automatic
3.3L engine
6 cylinders
2WD
EPA mileage 19/26
210 torque@4000rpm
180 horsepower@5000rpm
Prior Use: Fleet, Business Use

Let us know what you end up purchasing:)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Pacifica's last model year was 2008 with the Pacifica's production phased out around the end of calendar year 2007. Access to the Pacifica's third row isn't very friendly and it's tight in terms of cargo area behind the third row. :twocents:

canadiangie

The Pacifica's last model year was 2008 with the Pacifica's production phased out around the end of calendar year 2007. Access to the Pacifica's third row isn't very friendly and it's tight in terms of cargo area behind the third row. :twocents:

I've only worked in one, and almost had a panic attack I was so squished. I can't say that happens too often, if ever. There was something about the entire interior design that made me go hmmmmm.

Jeanum

Staff member
Yup, Pacifica models equipped with three rows have two vehicle seats in the second row with a center console in between them without an aisle to get to the third row, adding to the "fun" of getting to the third row. With two vehicle seats in the second row instead of three, and only two vehicle seats in its third row, there's no three across potential at all in the Pacifica with third rows. :/ All this talk of Pacificas jogged my memory a bit since last night, though, and now I'm remembering there also was a base model 5-passenger version of the Pacifica equipped with 3-passenger seating in the second row, and no third row at all. I'm not sure if base models would be readily available used because more Pacificas with 3 rows were likely manufactured and sold as new models due to consumer demand for minivan or SUV alternatives and all, but the base model version might be worth checking out to try out 3 across if you come across one while vehicle shopping. :twocents:

crunchierthanthou

I'm remembering there also was a base model 5-passenger version of the Pacifica equipped with 3-passenger seating in the second row, and no third row at all. I'm not sure if base models would be readily available used because more Pacificas with 3 rows were likely manufactured and sold as new models due to consumer demand for minivan or SUV alternatives and all, but the base model version might be worth checking out to try out 3 across if you come across one while vehicle shopping. :twocents:

I think that version was almost solely a fleet vehicle. No one who was buying one for a family only wanted three seats. My neighbors have one they bought at auction and we had one as a rental once. It works for three across and does have cargo space, but other vehicles do that just as well. Maybe I'm just biased against Pacificas. :p

cookie123

If you're considering the Pacifica, there's a model year with some kind of significant issue - think it's 2005? One of my friends has one and it's had problems.
Also she has 3 kids and hates it - longs for a minivan. The 2nd row console is where the kids climb to get in the back. Not sure why they don't push forward the outboard seat to get back there. They have 2 older kids not in boosters and a 3 year old in a MA in the middle.

Jeanum

Staff member
I think that version was almost solely a fleet vehicle. No one who was buying one for a family only wanted three seats. My neighbors have one they bought at auction and we had one as a rental once. It works for three across and does have cargo space, but other vehicles do that just as well. Maybe I'm just biased against Pacificas. :p

I knew of one mom over on Baby Bargains who had one of the 5-passenger models and I kind of owe her for knowing that the 5-passenger model even existed at all. I remember worrying at first when she stated she had installed a carseat in the second row center, with me thinking she had rigged up a carseat somehow atop the center console. :eek: It turned out she had the 5-passenger Pacifica model, whew. So they're around but not so easy to find compared to the three row version and other vehicle models altogether, and technically Pacificas have some Mercedes touches in their design and possibly their components as it was an offspring of the now defunct Chrysler-Daimler merger/takeover. Not intending to send Maedze on a wild goose chase, though, when there are other vehicles that are more readily available that could suit her needs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC