Any other babywearers? What do you have in your stash?....

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
So, basically, I intend to buy a sheet and tie my baby to my back.

We saw some of that in Egypt - the first time I had seen a baby worn like that in person. We were TTC but I wasn't pregnant yet. The first time I passed someone wearing their baby, I tried chasing the woman down but lost her in the crowded streets... Surprisingly, it was mostly the expats (foreigners) that wore their babies the most. Most Egyptian moms (the lower SES ones which are the majority there) sat their baby sideways on one shoulder so that the baby was straddling the shoulder and holding onto the mother's head and the mom was holding one leg or nothing at all. I think they do this because they're usually carrying/working with other stuff with their hands.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
. . .mei tei. I found home-made directions on a website a while back, if someone wants them I can try to find them again.

I would love instructions if you could find them :)

Does anyone have a moby wrap like this?
MOB-D-5T.jpg

Is the patterened fabric stretchy like the wrap? How easy do you think it would be to make? I would think you would just serge the fabrics together and re-enforce it. Any thought's on this from anyone?

Splash

It would be super easy to make... all it is is 5-6 yards of fabric. You could buy cotton jersey (very stretchy) and make it, or less stretchy fabrics if you want a more secure feel and are "good" at wraps. Stretch is more forgiving.
I'd rather have one with rings, but I can handle knots. The Moby requires knots.

ETA- Oh you need no serging or anything. It will make it look nicer, but it doesn't add to the function of it. You really just need a long strip of fabric, probably about 16 inches wide (I'm guessing), and know how to wrap it and make a good knot.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
It would be super easy to make... all it is is 5-6 yards of fabric. You could buy cotton jersey (very stretchy) and make it, or less stretchy fabrics if you want a more secure feel and are "good" at wraps. Stretch is more forgiving.
I'd rather have one with rings, but I can handle knots. The Moby requires knots.

ETA- Oh you need no serging or anything. It will make it look nicer, but it doesn't add to the function of it. You really just need a long strip of fabric, probably about 16 inches wide (I'm guessing), and know how to wrap it and make a good knot.

I know it would be easy to make, I am just wondering how easy it would be to insert that patterned fabric and would that need to be stretchy or just a plain cotton?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
But is the one in the picture a wrap? It looks like it's a semi-wrap, like the front part holding the child and the part going over the shoulders are one piece, with an extra part that wraps around and ties under the child...?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
But is the one in the picture a wrap? It looks like it's a semi-wrap, like the front part holding the child and the part going over the shoulders are one piece, with an extra part that wraps around and ties under the child...?

I found the picture HERE and it is a Moby wrap so I would guess it is a wrap :confused: I like the look of it and would like to make one if it won't be too hard.

Splash

That's a Moby D, which is non stretchy. A Moby wrap is made of jersey and very stretchy. I don't know what the Moby D is made out of, but I know it isn't stretchy, it's... the opposite of stretchy (which is, what, exactly?)

super_grape

I have a Moby D and it is stretchy except for the center panel which is a satiny brocade...but the rest is a nice cotton knit. I really preffered the
non stretchy center - I felt like there was less bounce and give and it held the baby in more snug. We have the black silk with black knit and it's really pretty, altho not DH friendly:p .

My first wrap was home-made, I just bought some knit (5-6 yds.) off the $1 a yd. table at Walmart, cut it in half so it was about 22 inches wide, and wrapped her up. It was super easy.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I want the Tidewater Kozy. It is sooooooo gorgeous!

image006.jpg

Dh will not be happy if I spend $80 on a new carrier. I need to make lots of money at our upcoming yard sale.

Hmm. Anybody wanna buy a Lucky Baby Pouch? It's this one, in a medium. I love it, it's beautiful, it's hip, it's awesome, but it is too big for me, and ds is just too heavy for it, anyway. $25 pp, w/ funded paypal. ETA: It's in like new condition... I can take real pics of it if anybodys interested.

Maybe if I tell dh I'm selling one so I can buy a new one, he won't ask about the cost difference. LOL

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I have a Moby D and it is stretchy except for the center panel which is a satiny brocade...but the rest is a nice cotton knit. I really preffered the
non stretchy center - I felt like there was less bounce and give and it held the baby in more snug. We have the black silk with black knit and it's really pretty, altho not DH friendly:p .

My first wrap was home-made, I just bought some knit (5-6 yds.) off the $1 a yd. table at Walmart, cut it in half so it was about 22 inches wide, and wrapped her up. It was super easy.

Thanks that is good to know. I think I might try to make one :D
Do you know, if where the stretchy and the center panel are sewn is gattered at all? In is picture it almost looks like it is or is it just the way it is when wearing it? Also is the center panel the same width as the rest of the wrap?
MOB-D-250-T.jpg

LEAW

It's not gathered, that's just how she is wearing it. I'm pretty sure they are the same width too.

I'm bummed, ds is almost 12 lbs, and he's making my kkafp sag too much, and on the tighter settings I can't get him in there right... had to break out a MT today, maybe I'll try to moby him soon too, and I was really hoping to kanga him on my back, but he's going to be too heavy to learn before he has any head control!

InTheWoods

Not much in the stash now. DD's 2yo and I wear her on my back in an NG Ergo organic denim when we grocery shop.

When she was littler, though:
Moby, lt. green (very comfy, poppable)
Gypsy Mama gauze wrap, blue floral (great for hot weather!)
Sachi mei tai, blue stained glass/navy straps
Kozy mei tai w/ pocket, big cat/black straps (loved this carrier, our workhorse)
dot e dot mei tai, rainbow/cream straps (Norwegian import, very pretty and super comfy w/ thickly padded straps; great for bigger babies)
Hotsling (never got the hang of this, just too confining)
Sleeping Baby Productions pleated shoulder ring sling, green/striped tail (never got the hang of this)
Ergo, coral (older version, straps not comfy under my arms)
Toddler Patapum, khaki (just too big for us, I'm short, couldn't get straps tight enough)
and then the
NG Ergo, organic denim (our workhorse now, very comfy)

Hhhm. I'm impressed! :D

Well, at least I've saved $ on strollers. :p

Kristin

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Actually, I showed it to dh today, and he said if I got rid of one, I could get another.

Well, yesterday, I gave my old baby bjorn away.

So, I'm good. He didn't say I had to sell one, just get rid of. :D

But I'm watching over there, and I'll probably list my lucky baby over there too. That's where I bought it from!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Would love to try a Didymos or Mei Tai (sp?)! Anyone have any recommendations for a carrier on the back that would allow a baby/toddler to see over my shoulders (in the event we adopt a baby)?

I found a YouTube video that shows how to use a Didymos (or similar) to wear your baby up high so he/she can see over your shoulder. It's not in English, but it's quite clear what she means.

solmama

I have a Kozycarrier and Kelty BackCountry. My favorite is the Backcountry and my husband loves it too. However, when my son was teeny (less than 7lbs) the Kozycarrier was awesome.

skaterbabs

I have a Maya, a home-made ring sling, an ABC knockoff that was MILs and I just gave away my framed backpack. She ADORED that, but is too heavy for me to use it now since it never did fit me properly. lol I also had a Bjorn, which was great when she was really tiny. Now I'm coveting an ERGO....:rolleyes:

mtnharmony

I have used a bedsheet and I loved it until my son got too heavy.

I had an Over the Shoulder sling too and it always hung too low and I had sto stick something under my son so he didn't seem so lost in the pouch portion. He got very hot in this one too.

I have a modified MT that I made and I still use it from time to time.

I also had a homemade wrap out of guaze that I loved until my son got to heavy.

I have made a ring sling which I loved for my cousin's newborn!!

I have 2 pouches. One by Mommy Couture the other I have never used and can't remember the name.

I also have 2 M.O.M. Tai's which are by far my favorite!!!!! I can carry a newborn to a preschooler and be happy in one of these Mei Tai's.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC