Question Latch AND seat belt?

wvmommy007

I was talking to a friend about her new seat. I don't know exactly the type. I know it came from Wal-Mart, in-store, and is nearly, if not completely, black. The glance I got of it makes me think Evenflo. She swore, even after I asked her if she was sure, that the manual said latch and seat belt could be used together. Does this sound right? That is how it is currently installed, and if it isn't safe I would like to let her know. Maybe with a webpage I could direct her to, so it isn't just me being bossy. ;) Thanks for any help.

ADS

scoutingbear

To my knowledge there isn't any seat that can be installed with LATCH and seatbelt AT THE SAME TIME. You could always direct her here! Or look at her manual together.

Mae

No, that is not allowed. No car seat manufacturer allows that. It hasn't been tested that way, or perhaps it was and it failed terribly, we don't know. We certainly don't want to turn our children into our own person crash dummy and find out.

The idea has been tossed around that it's possible that when using both LATCH and seat belt, the webbing of both materials together aren't able to stretch enough, putting too much strain directly onto the child. Keep in mind that this is just a theory that's been pondered, like I said, we don't know why it's not allowed. What we do know, however, is that the car seat has passed testing with only seatbelt, and it passed again with only LATCH.

It's definitely not safe how it is installed and it needs to be fixed immediately, before she drives with her child with her.

Some links:

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/f/LATCH_SB.htm

http://www.car-safety.org/latchfaq.html

wvmommy007

I wish I knew what seat it is, so I could find an online manual to try to determine her cause of confusion. It could be a Triumph, possibly Titan. Are there confusing instructions for either seat? I'm just so curious now as to why she felt so sure about it.

Mae

Unless maybe she has a combo seat that allows latch in booster mode and somehow she understood that wrong?

Ah, that is true. There are a few select seats that allow you to LATCH the seat while in booster mode, and then you use the seatbelt to secure the child to the booster. Is the child using the harness?

Evolily

I wish I knew what seat it is, so I could find an online manual to try to determine her cause of confusion. It could be a Triumph, possibly Titan. Are there confusing instructions for either seat? I'm just so curious now as to why she felt so sure about it.

Sometimes when I'm reading I'll skip words- it could say "Do not use LATCH and the seat belt at the same time" but she might have read "Do use LATCH and the seat belt at the same time". Car seat manuals can be confusing and overwhelming. I'd encourage her to call up the manufacturer to clarify.

wvmommy007

I will have to pay her another visit and be very interested in her seat as a possible back-up seat for my DD. ;) Maybe I'll even feel the need to read her manual to decide if I like it or not. :whistle: I'll update when I find out what it is, and if she listens to me this time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC