Beco or Ergo?

Which carrier do you recommend or did you like overall the best?

• Beco

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Ergo

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

lovinwaves

If you have owned both, which did you prefer over all, or which would you recommend?

I have an ergo, and have had it long enough to know there must be something better. I got to try on a beco very briefly yesterday and I think it might be better for me.

ADS

ctbcleveland

I had both for a brief period of time. The Ergo seemed rather bulky for me. I am only 5' 4", so I imagine it would be ok if I were taller.

I like that my Beco has a built-in infant insert. Lots of people here don't use them, but I do. While the Ergo appears cheaper, when you factor in this cost, they are about the same.

I also like that mine has the panel between you and the baby. Many people can't stand this, but I found it is easier to get a little one into a back carry by yourself when the kid is somewhat surrounded by a pouch. Not all Beco's have this, so you have to figure out which generation to get if you want/don't want it.

My biggest complaint about my beco - The tabs that connect the front part of the carrier to the shoulder straps are very heavy duty, but I find them difficult to open and close. This is usually how I get my kid out of it. I also don't think the back clip is easy to do with a front carry. I usually put it on over my head already clipped, but again, not terribly user friendly. The carrier itself is bulky - doesn't easily fit in a diaper bag - but this is no different (any still probably better) than an Ergo.

krasota

Honestly, different carriers fit different parents. Try them both. Try some other brands, too!

The Ergo works very well for me, but it's not the carrier of choice for everyone.

Neatfreak

I have both, and I like them both, but not at the same time. I bought the Ergo when DD1 was thirteen months old, and it fit us well for front and back carries (I'm 5'3", if it matters). When DD2 came along, I really didn't like the Ergo for a little newborn. The Beco worked better for us in terms of helping to support her neck and head. It's a little more confining. Now that she's nineteen months old, she doesn't seem comfortable and happy in the Beco, so I've hauled out the Ergo again.

crunchierthanthou

We like our Beco. I resold the Ergo after only using it once. dd was 6 or 7 months at the time. I think I might have preferred the Ergo if dd was a toddler who was usually in a back carry. I much preferred the Beco when she was smaller - and therefore still using a front carry at times, and less steady in a back carry.

lovinwaves

The lack of padding on the shoulders concerns me about the Beco, especially since I didn't get to really use it for a long period of time.

lovinwaves

Eek, which beco?

I am ok with the insert, but I prefer that I can remove that later on for when nephew is bigger.

I hate the safety straps buttons, and thought they were hard to push.

bubbaray

I've owned both, the Ergo definitely fit me better. I'm 5'9" and average/slim build. I sold my Beco to someone who was short and rather round.

kaysmom

I've never had an Ergo but I have had both the Gen4 Beco and the Butterfly and I actually prefer having the insert (I sold the Gen4 just for that reason) and I didn’t start using them until DD was over a year old, and preferred the Butterfly even when she was bigger than that. I feel like its more supportive of my back, and it holds her up a little higher in back carries. I also like the piece of fabric between us. :twocents: But for everyone saying they like one, you'll have someone that likes the other better! It's so personally decided!

ETA: Are there any local babywearing chapters or groups around you (maybe try thebabywearer.com)? That way you could go to a meeting and try some diffrent ones out without buying...or a store that carries several different types of carriers?

MamanMag

The lack of padding on the shoulders concerns me about the Beco, especially since I didn't get to really use it for a long period of time.

I have the Beco Butterfly 2 and it has quite a bit of padding actually, I really like it! I use it mostly when we travel, super easy to go through airports :D

My daughter is almost 2 and she still enjoys it, a great buy IMHO:thumbsup:

Mag

ctbcleveland

I am surprised you are finding the padding to be that different? I think my Beco is a butterfly and my Ergo was the sport. They seemed very comparable in that territory.

lovinwaves

I've owned both, the Ergo definitely fit me better. I'm 5'9" and average/slim build. I sold my Beco to someone who was short and rather round.

Yeah, see good point, and this was a concern of mine. I am 5'10" and average to bigger build. The Beco seemed smaller to me, but yet felt better. It felt like the baby was held closer to me and more secure, and didn't pull down on my shoulders. Actually the baby felt lighter while in the Beco :thumbsup:

I am surprised you are finding the padding to be that different? I think my Beco is a butterfly and my Ergo was the sport. They seemed very comparable in that territory.

Hmm...not sure which Beco model I had on, but my first though when I saw it was, "oh? That's it? It looks so dinky and not very high quality fabric." :eek: BUt then when I put it on, like I said above, the baby actually felt lighter. Yeah the shoulder pads didn't seem that padded to me as compared to the Ergo?

lovinwaves

A lady on craigslist wants to trade me her Beco I for my Ergo plus I pay an additional $20 for the difference. She said the replacement buckles are in place.

LeeLi

I used a gen 1 Ergo quite a bit and found it pretty uncomfortable.

We've been using a beco butterfly II for about 6 months with kids from 6 weeks up to 2 years old and just :love: it. The safety buckles are a little annoying but I like the added security because a couple of our toddlers love to play with buckles and could potentially undo them otherwise. I find it very comfortable especially after reading tips and tricks online about getting a good fit.

kgardnez

I have the Beco and at 6'1" and slim I find it very comfortable. My 5'7" wife also uses it and we can switch back and forth quickly as we've learned home much to takeup and let out the straps.

Our son is over 22lbs and I can carry him for hours.

JOII

I found my Beco Butterfly way too busy. So I voted Ergo, however a simple buckle tai/mei tai is my favorite by far.

Ltaylor

It really depends on if you want the carrier for an infant or a toddler.

I had an Ergo and it was great when D was an infant, but once she hit about 25lbs, it started to pull on my shoulders horribly, no matter how much I adjusted it.
And as she got taller and relized that she could lean, it became worse. IMO the Ergo is not tall anough for a toddler.

The beco has a slightly taller panel on it, but I have never actually used one.
A couple friends have the Beco Butterfly II and LOVE them for their toddlers as well as their infants.

I just sold my Ergo a few weeks ago and bought a Boba and LOVE it. it is wonderful for toddler back carries.

jeno

Senior Community Member
It really depends on if you want the carrier for an infant or a toddler.

I just sold my Ergo a few weeks ago and bought a Boba and LOVE it. it is wonderful for toddler back carries.

Would love more info about the Boba. I'm having leaning issues with my DD right now. She's 35", 33lbs. I would be buying w/o trying so I hate to waste my $$$.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC