Buying a booster and need some opinions

sholoulou

Hoping you all can save me a few hours of research

6 1/2 year old needs a (another) booster :p

Frontier 85, Probooster, Monterey, Vivo or Vivo Lite (what is the diff?) Ohh so many choices!! He will be riding outboard... no latch so I am not sure it that matters.

Which ones have the most EPP or EPS foam, have the best test results, made the best? I know it depends on the fit in the car, child etc. but which ones are the top runners?

ADS

ChristyH

I believe the only difference between the Vivo and the Vivo lite is the fabric on the seat.

I have a 6 1/2 yr old also and it definitely depends on their build and how they will fit in the seat. Every seat you have listed (except the Probooster) I have tried and am very fond of, I even use the Vivo and the Monterey for my own kids now.
Any of them would be top runners for me but it really depends on stats. I would never use the Monterey for my 6 1/2 yr old because of his build it's just too wide for him. He fits wonderfully into the Vivo though and is the seat he uses if he needs a booster.

myliljunebugs

unless he needs a harness I wouldn't get the frontier 85, kind of a high price for *just* using as a booster. Like PP said it really does depend on build. At 6.5 if I had tried DS in the monterey I would have returned it :p but now at almost 8 it is the perfect fit when the wings are adjusted all the way in. DD has the Vivo and it is also a good fit for DS (if it weren't pink ;) ) I'm actually in the minority in that I don't like the Vivo all that much, it isn't very user friendly IMO. My mom has it in her car and can't wait for me to replace it LOL

sholoulou

It is a big step to go to a booster full time but he is asking to use his booster now. We have a couple of parkways but I am not too fond of it to be used full time. If I could find a booster with 6 inches side walls, totally lined with EPP foam, reinforced with steel frame, built-in cup holders, true side impact protection, etc the choice would be SO much easier!!

a_js

I'd buy that booster you designed, LOL

I love the Vivo for my average height, slender kid. It fits him like it was made for him. I'm not overly wild about the lap belt path in that I sort of wish it had armrests versus just the notches for the belt to fit in.. but the fit is awesome. It's top rated by IIHS, too :thumbsup: (for fit, that is) I don't believe there are side impact standards in the USA (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and most manufacturers do not release test results. That said, Recaro makes race car seats, so that tells me they know something about crash dynamics. The head wings are substantial, and the seat is solid, not flimsy at all.

I would have gotten the Monterey because of the side wings and flexible latch (yay for not having to buckle the booster in when not in use) but it doesn't fit my son well at all--he just swims in it width-wise.

GL :)

mish

I agree that I wouldn't buy the frontier if you don't need the harness. Is it possible to try any of the other seats before you buy them? I know the ProBooster isn't an option yet, but what about the others?

sholoulou

So my top choices are Monterey, Vivo, Probooster.
Do any of these have to have latch to be used?

We tried out the monterey yesterday. He sat great in it in the store. I brought it to my car but could not remove the regent & the marathon because it was pouring down rain. The marathon is easy to put in but that Regent is a monster! So I will will have to go back when the sun is shining and give it a try.

The Probooster looks really nice. Anyone know how the fit is different form the monterey incase the monterey does not fit well on his shoulders?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
So my top choices are Monterey, Vivo, Probooster.
Do any of these have to have latch to be used?

We tried out the monterey yesterday. He sat great in it in the store. I brought it to my car but could not remove the regent & the marathon because it was pouring down rain. The marathon is easy to put in but that Regent is a monster! So I will will have to go back when the sun is shining and give it a try.

The Probooster looks really nice. Anyone know how the fit is different form the monterey incase the monterey does not fit well on his shoulders?

LATCHable boosters do not require LATCH to be used, it's just an option on those that do allow LATCHing. The Vivo and Probooster don't have LATCH but the Monterey does. No idea on how the Probooster's fit compares to the Monterey's in terms of shoulders. I don't think anyone here has received a Probooster just yet to do fit comparisons, or else I missed posts about it. ;)

Jeanum

Staff member
You mean the discontinued Jane Indy Plus model? A few here own those and could verify but to my knowledge it's doesn't require the use of LATCH.

sholoulou

I believe so... it had a "plate" that stuck out of the back and the sales person said you had to have latch to use it. Wow, how long has it been discontinued?

solmama

LATCH is not required to use the Indy Plus. It's a great seat, and if I could find one, in my area at a decent price, I'd buy it. The expiration is 7-8 years (odd, each seat is a bit different). It has a high belt guide (slightly higher than the Parkway), is relatively easy to install with LATCH (the Oobr is easier, however), the cover seems durable, and the belt fit was good on my dd at 5 yrs, 47" and 48lbs.

Jeanum

Staff member
Discontinued for a couple of years, IIRC, or at least no longer being manufactured for the U.S. market, not sure about in the EU market. Returnsforsale.com had a couple Indy Plus boosters for sale a few months back with 2008 DOMs.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
What about a Clek Oobr? It's a bit expensive, but it's a great booster.

I was thinking the same thing. I have one. It is heavy though. My son really likes it. You do not have to have LATCH to use it. I don't have it, but all of my friends do. It is our spare seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC