Solution to my car seat woes? (for now)

jessi f

So as much as I :love: DDs butterfly TF the 35 lb RF limit is driving me crazy. DS hit 34ish lbs pretty much right at 2 and stayed there forever. And DD is actually a little bigger than he was so far. But I really like the seat RF and FF. However I'm not so crazy about DS's GN and have had a local offer for $130 for it. Soooo I was thinking if I sold the GN I could get a CA fo DS. That way if Masyn needs the 40 lbs to keep RF she can have the CA or if Jonas isnt booster ready at 50 lbs he could have the TF. His torso is pretty short so I dont think he needs the extra height of the GN. I just need to keep my eye out for a good deal on a extra gender neutral cover for the TF between now and then. And even though I say he weighs 38 lbs thats actually the highest weight weve got for him and it was just one time. He usually comes in at 36-37 lbs. So maybe he could even RF again this summer? I tried him out in it a target and really like the fit. Even FF the headwings seem like they will be at a better position for extra SIP and sleeping than his GN. The only problem I have with this plan is DHs car does not have a tether anchor so the GN was good for that. But we hardly ever use his car for the kids anymore. We had to use it once yesterday while we got my car worked on but the seats are already back in my car. And we use it for trips out of town bc its roomier than my car but we can borrow my moms Impala for that and it has the tether anchor. So I think I'll just tell him he needs to go get another GN if he wants to drive DS in his car. We can afford it but DH is just being a little stingy about car seats.... Does this sound like a ok plan or am I missing something important?

ADS

NannyMom

Sounds like a nice plan to me. I have found that the top slots on the TF are only about 1 inch shorter than on the GN. Not sure what they are on the CA. WHat car does your husband have? tether anchors can usually be retrofitted.

jessi f

He drives a Buick Roadmaster. Ive talk to Buick about it and they said it doesnt have spots reinforced for the anchors :(

jessi f

It's a sedan. 1992. I talked to a couple different service stations and they said it cant be done :thumbsdown:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you do that, instead of telling DH he needs to get a GN to transport DS, you could just RF DS in the Buick until he hits 40lbs. If he slows in weight gain like my J has, and makes it to a solid 4.5 before 40lbs, you could even booster train him on the occasional times he rides there. Then no tether worries :)

jessi f

If you do that, instead of telling DH he needs to get a GN to transport DS, you could just RF DS in the Buick until he hits 40lbs. If he slows in weight gain like my J has, and makes it to a solid 4.5 before 40lbs, you could even booster train him on the occasional times he rides there. Then no tether worries :)

Thats true :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I don't see that in the latch manual. Is it a car or truck? WHat year is it?

It's a '92 Buick Roadmaster, a big whale of a full-sized car, lol. It's not listed in the Buick section of the LATCH manual because it's an older GM model and GM doesn't provide tether anchor retrofit part numbers for pre-factory equipped models for the LATCH manual because the GM part numbers tend to change over time, and the GM dealerships are supposed to have current part info. It's not listed in the LATCH manual as an excluded GM model from retrofitting, though, but the owner is pretty dependent on the GM/Buick dealership for verifying any tether anchor retrofit potential. Sounds like she's been in contact with Buick directly or with other Buick dealerships from her post. If that's not the case, trying GM/Buick corporate or another GM dealership might be worthwhile. :twocents:

jessi f

Well I went ahead and ordered the harvest CA. I'm excited :D I hope he likes RF again for a while at least. I weighed him this evening with cloths and a full belly at 37 lbs. I think it will help me feel less guilty about turning him FF when he was only 1 :( He's so excited about his new seat, I think my newfound fasination with them is rubbing off on him. I showed him the picture online and now he keeps talking about his new orange seat and how it looks like cake :confused:

jessi f

I just wanted to add to this thread that I had nothing against our GN. I really liked it actually, I just think having the two convertibles to switch between the 2 kids fits better for our family :) If I can ever talk DH into another seat we will probably buy one again. Also I did talk to the Buick dealers in my area about the tether for DHs car and they said it was a no go. I didnt think about trying to contact corporate. I'm going to do that just to be sure it isnt possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC