LATCH limits?

skydancer

I posted a question on the main forum but now I'm thinking this may be better suited to this forum.

My original question was about LATCH limits. I can't find anything about them in my MA manual or in my car manual (2005 Prius). This lead me to discover that it is printed clear as day in the USA MA manual (which I looked at online), but it's not in the same place in my Canadian MA Manual.

So my question is, do we have LATCH limits in Canada? If we do, am I completely blind about where it's printed???:confused:

Also, it lead me to this line in the MA manual (pg.4):
This restraint must be secured to vehicle by means of the Lower
Universal Anchorage system if installed in a seating position equipped
with lower anchors or by means of a vehicle seat belt if installed in
a seating position not equipped with lower anchors, as shown in
installation instructions.
The way I interpret that statement, it is saying that if I am using the MA in a seating position where LATCH is available, then I MUST use LATCH, and I cannot use the vechicle seatbelt instead. Am I reading that right?

ADS

dogmelissa

Also, it lead me to this line in the MA manual (pg.4):

The way I interpret that statement, it is saying that if I am using the MA in a seating position where LATCH is available, then I MUST use LATCH, and I cannot use the vechicle seatbelt instead. Am I reading that right?

You never *have* to install with LATCH instead of the seatbelt, but since so many people find the anchors easier, its generally the recommendation to use them if they exist. However, use whatever method (obviously not both) gives you the best install. A seat installed incorrectly (loose) won't work any better if that incorrect install is with the anchors than with the seatbelt.

I don't know for sure, but I believe the anchor limit in Canada is 48 lbs. I'm sure a tech will post to confirm or correct though. I don't know if its printed in the seat manuals but it should be in the vehicle manual. If its not, I'm lost as to why not! :confused:

HTH,
Melissa

Lea_Ontario

Some child restraint manufacturers defer to the automobile manufacture to set the UAS limits, which to me makes more sense than having the child restraint manufacturer set the limit.

So - if you have a seat where the manufacturer doesn't specify an upper limit, then you MUST defer to the vehicle manufacturer for that limit.

When you get into a dilema is when the vehicle manufacturer doesn't specify an upper limit either (ie - KIA.).

Now, if you are left with a situation where neither specify, the common recommendation is to cease using the UAS system at 40lbs or 48lbs (most go with 48lbs), as that is the most common weight limit given by vehicle manufacturers.

I am a tech. And I have a seat/vehicle combination where this is occuring. I stopped using the UAS when my DD met 40lbs. I *KNOW* the vehicle seatbelt will hold, but neither manufacturer could/would tell me when the UAS system would not function, so I didn't feel it was a good thing to continue using it.

skydancer

Thanks. I guess I'll have to see if I can find a definite answer about the LATCH limits in the car. We're still a long way away from even 40 lbs, but I'd like to know ahead of time what I'm up against.

If I have to make any assumptions, I'll do as you suggested and err on the side of caution. I learned that one the hard way. Just as DD outgrew her infant seat, I learned that we had it installed incorrectly in both cars by using LATCH in the center seat. (one did not allow borrowing of LATCH anchors for the center seat, the other did allow it but the anchors were a non-standard distance, which took a lot of digging to learn was not allowed with our Peg Perego seat)

I wonder if I will ever stop being surprised by how confusing some of this stuff is. I try my hardest and still am not always sure I've found the best answer. It's no wonder that so many people have incorrectly installed seats when it's so hard to get the straigh facts.

amyd

I believe that Toyota defers to the restraint's limits. I would be comfortable using the UAS to 48lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC