Freestyle, Taurus X, something else?

Lulu

Does anyone have any opinion on either of these vehicles. I'm looking to replace an '02 Windstar. I'm also considering the Freestar, Grand Caravan, Sienna and Odyssey. We are just beginning our research and haven't decided if we want to spend $15,000 or $30,000. I do know I want something 2006 or newer with captain's chairs that will fit a Frontier 85 and Radian XT SL.

ADS

Maedze

Rule the Freestar out. The Radian installs way too reclined in the second row (45 degrees or more), and is incompatible in the third (rear facing).

monstah

How many car seats? What direction are they in? The Freestyle / Taurus X can be AWFUL for car seats depending...

monstah

The Radian is rear facing. I only have the two car seats.

The Radian can only rear face passenger side as long as the front passenger doesn't mind sitting real close to the dash. I am 5'5", 125 and I don't have enough room to RF a Radian behind me if I'm driving in the Freestyle.

If you want to get another RF seat (any seat really) you should be fine.

Lulu

The radian is brand new, so I'm more likely to consider a different car. :p

Unfortunately, we need to the passenger seat to accommodate someone up to 6'5". Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Taurus X is any different or if I need to cross these off my list.

monstah

The radian is brand new, so I'm more likely to consider a different car. :p

Unfortunately, we need to the passenger seat to accommodate someone up to 6'5". Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Taurus X is any different or if I need to cross these off my list.

Sounds like you are starting from scratch. :p

Here's a good resource if you haven't heard of it yet, www.informedforlife.org :)

BudgieStew

I see that it is not on your list but since you are considering Freestyle/Taurus X and Freestar I will give you another similar type van/cross over to consider, the Ford Flex.
I am unsure of the price tag of a new/used one in the U.S though. It is offered in 6 or 7 passenger so if you wanted bucket seats for the second row it would have to be the 6 passenger model.

I never installed our Radians RF in our Flex(and my last one is in another province right now otherwise I would try it) but the second row is extremely spacious and I cannot see any problems with installing a RF Radian and still having plenty of room for a tall passenger.
The Flex has very similar outside measurements to the Freestar. I think an inch bigger both ways but inside it is laid out differently and has lots of second row space as well as decent third row space. We have had a 05(I think) and a 07 Freestar SEL so I can compare. Also the bucket seats are slightly different shaped then what the Freestar has but I honestly cannot remember having any issues installing the Radian RF in second row the 07 with the LATCH. I also installed it FF in middle third row and it was a horrible fit.

I never really drove the 05 but the 07 was my van and it was a great van. When we had to have some rentals last summer in between it and getting the Flex I was not a happy camper. We had a Grand Caravan and a Uplander both 2008 and I complained the whole time...they just didn't have the solid weight that the Freestar has. I know trim levels make a difference but they felt like I was driving a tin can. Although it would be really really hard to give up my Flex I would have very little problems going back to driving my 07 Freestar.

Melanie

I see that it is not on your list but since you are considering Freestyle/Taurus X and Freestar I will give you another similar type van/cross over to consider, the Ford Flex.
I am unsure of the price tag of a new/used one in the U.S though.

We've been looking at the Flex recently. New they start about $29k for the low end model. It still has lots of nice bells and whistles. Right now there is a $2000 cash back rebate. 2nd row captain chairs are an option. I haven't played car seats yet but it's very roomy. I wouldn't expect a RF Radian would be a problem. I believe they came out in 09 so there may not be a lot of used ones around.

Have you considered a Honda Pilot? It's about the same price range new as the Flex. Low end is a bit less, but with the rebate they're very close. There's a lot to like about it. 2nd row is only available in a bench. They seem to hold their resale very well, so you'd probably have to get fairly old to be in the $15,000 range.

kathysr98

I just installed a RNXTSL RF in a 2007 Freestyle. If fit behind the driver's seat with room for me to drive (5'2") and with it in the middle seat, my 6'8" dh fit in the passenger seat with no problem.

monstah

I just installed a RNXTSL RF in a 2007 Freestyle. If fit behind the driver's seat with room for me to drive (5'2") and with it in the middle seat, my 6'8" dh fit in the passenger seat with no problem.

Do you have pictures??

My DH is 6'0" and is pretty crammed in the passenger seat even with seats like the KF30 (base) & MA behind him. He manages with smaller seats like the Coccoro or KF30 without base.

And I am 5'5", 120 pounds and don't mind losing space but I can't get the Radian behind the drivers seat and safely drive. I have tried SO many times with both style base's. If you could post pictures, I would be SUPER appreciative. :D

Splash

Flex has a huge second row but rather limited third row and you can't slide the second up at all. It was in my top three but I bought a mazda5 instead and love it. The only thing it's lacking that the flex had is storage with the third row up. Third row down it has a ton. But the passenger room in the third row is more than the flex and the second row can slide forward to give even more room.

I once bought a vehicle based on how a particular seat fit. It was a mistake. A seat is cheap and temporary, a car is not.

BudgieStew

Flex has a huge second row but rather limited third row and you can't slide the second up at all.

Perhaps it is the difference in trim levels or bench seating in the second row of the Flex but our Captain seats in the second row of our Limited Flex do slide forward to make extra leg room in the third row.
If we didn't have car seats in the second row we can even fold the seat up to access the third row with the touch of a button instead of having to crawl over the center console. If one is using the third row often and is getting the 6 passenger Flex do not get the console for the second row. Thankfully this is not a big problem for us otherwise I would be inclined to be ripping the console out.

Lulu

Thanks everyone. We decided to go with our full budget and get a new Odyssey. It doesn't fit the seats as easily as I would like it to, but they do fit very well with some effort. It does have leather seats, so that might be the problem. I have to work at the seats for a while in our Taurus with leather seats as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC