Talk to me about baby shoes

U

Unregistered1

He's still going to be barefoot most of the time. Indoors he will be. But I'm thinking for when we're outside more this summer, I want something a little tougher than just socks in our yard... lots of pokey roots and stuff. Or in dirty public places, ick. I posted in swap, we'll see how that goes, but you guys have given me some great criteria, thanks.

ADS

Jazlynn's Mommy

I love love love Pedipeds!! My daughter has been wearing them since she was about 5 months old. We have owned about 15 pairs so far, she is 17 months now (still in the originals). They were great for when she was learning how to walk, and now that she is walking (she was a late walker) they are wonderful. You can totally see the difference in the way she walks in Pedipeds and hard soled shoes. She walks so much better in her Pediped shoes, they are what she prefered. They also wipe clean!! They get a little dirty and a baby wipe is all your need to get them looking new again. Oh, and they must be really hard to scuff, because none of ours have any scuffs on them. We also owned 3 pairs of Robeez (2 original and 1 mini shoez). The originals were great when she was crawling, held up really well and really comfy. The mini shoes i could have done away with, not too impressed, i prefered the Pedipeds over them any day. I also have Moosho Trainers and Puddle Jumpers and like them as well, but they do have a more firm (but flexible) sole. Bought them all off Ebay :love:

3acorns4Christy

We do Target knock-offs. And my kids wear them early, I am a firm believer in letting babies explore outdoors, this means crawling in rocks sometimes, dirt, concrete, parks. Really pretty much anywhere, that is us. Even before crawling age, when we are somewhere fun, we put baby down on the surface near us and let them slap the ground etc. So they are often wearing soft-soled shoes then so that if we stand them on a rock their feet will be fine.

Sophia crawls on concrete all the time, she wears pants and shoes. But it helps her learn her enviroment. No shoes inside so she has plenty of barefoot time.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Should I just sell them and get shoes with more support since she will be walking soon?

"Support" is bad. You want as close to barefoot as you can safely get. If you like the color/style of the ones you got, keep them. If not, sell them and get some you like better later.

I had a pair of SoftStar mocs that I got (gently) used when Roman was a toddler. He wore them. Eva wore them. Nadia wore them. Kira would have worn them if they hadn't gotten lost in the move from Germany. I ended up buying Target knockoffs for Kira, and they were fine, but the SoftStars were definitely nicer. Still, for the price, I couldn't complain about the Target mocs, even if they won't last through 3+ kids.

Athena

I'm gonna go against the grain and say none...

:yeahthat:

We didn't use shoes until walking and then only outdoors. When someone suggested I needed to let my toddler practice walking in shoes, I asked our pediatrician because I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. She confirmed that it is best developmentally to not use shoes unless outdoors/needed. HTH

Not to say one shouldn't cover baby's feet in the cold. :) I just never found I had to use real shoes for that.

krasota

We used leather booties like robeez and the like for awhile. When he started refusing to walk on mulch with those, we switched to riley roos. They have slightly thicker leather with some rubbery pads on three points. He's also worn SKR--his non-snow boots this winter were SKR.

I live in a city. There's glass, dog pee, and other savory stuff in the streets. Sometimes it's nice to have shoes on.

babycat124

I love Buskins :thumbsup:. They are the best. I have a little nephew and we like dressing are little babys like baby dolls. We like to dress him in the nice classic clothes not in the jeans and stuff :thumbsdown:. They have the rest of there life to be men. So this brand of shoes have styles that look like little sandles but there all leather and there died all the way through so if they scuff them you can tell. Here is the link.
http://www.littlebabyshoes.com/buskins.html

BritMum-in-US

I have used both Pediped and See Kai Run from one year on. I am now a SKR addict! At 15 mths he is now in the regular line and they are great. I heard from a pediatric podiatrist that once babies are walking well, they need support, so no more soft soles or grippy socks. But just make sure they have a bendable toe. Before that, no shoes are best, then soft soles.

Just a note, when buying shoes for a *walker*, never buy used. The shoes mold to the previous wearers feet.

I would scan Ebay for the type of shoe you want so you get a better deal :)

UlrikeDG

I heard from a pediatric podiatrist that once babies are walking well, they need support, so no more soft soles or grippy socks.

This is a (common) myth, kind of like, "Formula is better than breastmilk, because it's designed in a lab, and you can measure it." Barefoot is best, and shoes should only be used to protect the foot, either from extreme temps or from hazards on the ground. In fact, many runners have found that they are less prone to injuries when they ditch the high-tech "running shoes" and go barefoot. It actually changes how people run.

BritMum-in-US

This is a (common) myth, kind of like, "Formula is better than breastmilk, because it's designed in a lab, and you can measure it." Barefoot is best, and shoes should only be used to protect the foot, either from extreme temps or from hazards on the ground. In fact, many runners have found that they are less prone to injuries when they ditch the high-tech "running shoes" and go barefoot. It actually changes how people run.

I think I was misunderstood. I meant barefoot is best, but when walking well no more soft soles on rough outside surfaces. They need support on rough terrain. I reread my orginal post and I don't think I was explaining very well LOL.
My son is always barefoot indoors...but wears shoes outside.

Blondie87

He's still going to be barefoot most of the time. Indoors he will be. But I'm thinking for when we're outside more this summer, I want something a little tougher than just socks in our yard... lots of pokey roots and stuff. Or in dirty public places, ick. I posted in swap, we'll see how that goes, but you guys have given me some great criteria, thanks.

I don't see your swap thread yet. But I have a pair of Target brand Robeez type shoes that are 0-6 months. I bought them for my 9 month old former foster son. They aren't very used as I only had him for 10 days. But you can have them! PM me your shipping address and I can ship them to you Monday! :)

UlrikeDG

I think soft soled shoes do fine on rough terrain. We have a gravel driveway, and my daughter wore her Target knockoffs out there all the time until she outgrew the largest size. I'd still have her in soft soled shoes if I could get them for a decent price. I've even thought about making them myself using buckskin.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC