Middle seat rear-facing installation in a 1995 Honda Accord?

S

sandman

Hi. I have a Britax Roundabout that I want to install rear-facing in my 1995 Honda Accord. To provide more buffer in the case of a side-impact, my inclination would be to install it in the middle of the back seat. However, a technician advised me to install it on either the left or right position because there is a fold-down armrest in the middle of the back seat that, he says, could come forward in the event of a crash and injure our child, if the impact caused the car seat to rock towards the rear of the car while the armrest is down.

That seemed logical to me but my wife didn't quite buy it and talked with a technician she knows on another message board. That technician says that the armrest should not come down, if the car seat is properly installed. Any opinions on the best course of action here? (Whatever I do, I plan to have another technician check the seat after I install it.) Thanks in advance!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If Honda doesn't state that you can't in the manual, I would try the seat in the middle first and try to put the armrest down. If it won't come down, then it's safe to install the seat there. Only Evenflo has a policy against installing rear-facing seats in front of an armrest. Here's what SafetyBeltSafe USA has to say about it: http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#rearfacCRarmrest .

Also, if you use the tether (highly recommended) on your Roundabout, the seat won't rotate toward the back of your car.

Robert

CPST Instructor
Tibit......................
Volvo states that you can't place a rear facing seat in front of their fold-down armrests. However you can order a part that secures the armrest so you can place a rear-facing in front of the armrest...........

S

sandman

Thank you!

Thanks for all your feedback! I just installed the seat (with a noodle for angle). It's in such a position and so tight that the armrest cannot come down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC