Scenera question

U

Unregistered

I went to Target today to buy a Scenera for my just-turned-3 year old who is 33 lbs and 39". I just want to get a year or two out of it and I had read the top slots were reasonably high. But when I saw it I noticed the box said for kids up to 43", and I can't remember how long it might take him to grow those 4 inches. I think I read here the slots were about 17" high? But when I measured in Target they seemed 14" or so--though I might be measuring wrong. They were also shorter than some of the other seats there, when I was expecting them to be at the higher end of the spectrum.

My question is--those of you using the Scenera--how tall and what age is your child? Is it reasonable at all to hope that my son could be in it until 4 or longer?

Thanks!
Therese

ADS

LuvBug

no the scenera has average top slots... but for a 40lbs convertible they are relatively high. Most 40lb seats that can both rear and forward face have slots somewhere between 14-16" with 14" being low and 16" being taller. I get 15.5" when I measure our scenera. Tall top slots on a harness seat in general are considered to be 17+". The tallest of all harness seats being the regent at about 20.5".
Id recommend a graco cargo- cherished, ultra, or one of the newer platinums- bolero or generations, or possibly a chase. Those all go to 40lbs with 16.5-17" slots.

Also you dont have to go by the maximum height recs because those are only guestimates of how tall a child will be when they outgrow it. Some kids are all legs, some all torso, and some are even... so its best to go by the top slots and their weight.

What seat is he in currently and how does he fit? Are you looking to only harness him until the minimum of 4y AND 40lbs? or do you want to harness him longer?

kelly

The slots are pretty average (14-14.5), its the SHELL that's very high. Great for the extended RF kiddos. But, for FF its just average. It is nice with the tall seatback if you have a window right there. This was my situation in my husband's F-350, in a shorter shelled seat her head seemed too exposed to all that glass even though she still technically fit fine. The Scenera was WAY over her head and seemed more protected from the glass. :) My FF daughter outgrew one by 3.5 years old or so when she surpassed the top slots.

What's the child's weight? If you've got some time before 40 lbs, I'd recommend a combo seat like the PP said. The Evenflo ends up making a nice booster in the end.

If the child is pushing the 40 lbs limit, I'd look into an Apex if it works in your car. The headrest isn't "structural", so the midpoint of the child's head must be at or below the VEHICLE's headrest or seatback.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC