FF ok to recline?

I was reading through the scenera reviews on the review part of the board and there was some discussion about ff seats being ok to recline...in the manual it says it's ok to have it that way, but I thought it wasn't safe to recline when ff? Maybe that's just something else that's changed in the last 5 years? Just wondering...I've always tried to keep my ff seats as upright as possible...but maybe that's not always necessary, or does it depend on the seat?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Some seats have recline when FF options, some don't. They all must pass the FMVSS 213 carseat testing in upright and optional recline positions...buuuuut... there's no crotch or abdominal sensors in the dummies they use. So we don't really know if there is too much force in that area, rather than the force being spread out most evenly along the entire harness if the child is in the uprightest position. On the other hand, I'm not sure if there's a rash of crotch injuries from kids in reclined seats, either, so maybe it's no big deal?

When my ds was younger and I heard about it, I was told it had more to do with the impact on the spine...that reclining in a crash would cause some weird down-force angles on the spine, but that upright would be easier on it. Not sure if that's true or not....does it just depend on the seat? Is any seat with a recline feature safe to recline ff...if the manual says so?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
When my ds was younger and I heard about it, I was told it had more to do with the impact on the spine...that reclining in a crash would cause some weird down-force angles on the spine, but that upright would be easier on it. Not sure if that's true or not....does it just depend on the seat? Is any seat with a recline feature safe to recline ff...if the manual says so?

See, if we can't even get agreeing news on what kind of injury it may cause, then maybe there's not much to it? :confused:

I agree, too,if they really need to be reclined, they'd be better off RF, but what about the Graco Safeseat2 with 'recline on the fly', or the Triumph with 4 recline positions for FF... kind of leaves us in a pickle...should parents never use those features, when it might be one of the reasons they spent extra for that seat? :confused:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
See, if we can't even get agreeing news on what kind of injury it may cause, then maybe there's not much to it? :confused:

I agree, too,if they really need to be reclined, they'd be better off RF, but what about the Graco Safeseat2 with 'recline on the fly', or the Triumph with 4 recline positions for FF... kind of leaves us in a pickle...should parents never use those features, when it might be one of the reasons they spent extra for that seat? :confused:

What about the AO? Can it be reclined in the FF position?

canadianmom2three

IIRC the AO can recline in all but the most reclined position when ff. At least that is how I interpreted the manual, and one of the reasons I bought it. I really didn't know about the benefits of extended rfiing, and when DS was 2.5 we were planning our annual 24hour drive (each way:eek: ) down to Florida, and I was looking for the seat that could recline the most in ff position. I LOVED the AO on that trip - DS was an angel - comfy the whole way. Now I just hope that I was right about it being able to recline that much:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC