No, No, NO!

scoutingbear

This morning I carpooled with the family next door for our boys for kindy (normally they are morning/afternoon so carpooling doesn't work). I was putting A in his RSTV so the boy next door could have the HB turbo for the ride to school. I showed the mom how to use the RSTV since A will keep that at school for the ride home. She asked lots of questions about it and seemed really interested in getting one for her almost 6 year old son. (He normally rides in a NB Turbo (without the screws I'm sure)). Then she told me he needed a new seat because her just turned 2 year old is going to move into the NB booster because "she doesn't want to sit in her car seat anymore and needs a bigger one" :eek:

ADS

aeormsby

Wow. Were you pick your jaw off the ground and let her know that a NBB isn't safe for a 2yo? And why would that even make sense? If a 2yo doesn't want to sit in a carseat how are they going to stay put in a booster? :confused:

Mom2FiveGirls

Wow! How did you respond to that? I would have likely said something like "Well my 2 year old doesn't want to wear clothes, but I'm certainly not going to let her go naked all the time".

Qarin

"Wow, yeah, I hear you, 2 year olds have so many opinions, and they grow up so fast. You want to keep them safe, I know. But personally? I'm not ready to turn over responsibility for their safety in a car to my two year old, you know? In the harness, I can make sure the seat's in good, and the harness is snug-as-a-hug, but in those booster seats it's up to them! So easy to just pull the shoulder belt off or even climb right out of the whole thing... an accident happens then and... gah, I dno't want to think about it. Plus, boosters are meant to fit much bigger kids- I've read that they should be a *minimum* of 4 years old (probably more... my 4 year old sure wasn't seeming ready to be responsible for her safety in car!) and 40lbs. Anyway, I know kind of a stupid-lot about car seats for kids, I'd be happy to talk about what seats are around that your 2yo might be more comfortable in. That's great that you're interested in this RSTV and making sure your kids are safely buckled!"

scoutingbear

I didn't get my jaw picked up off the ground in time, but I did make a big show of buckling C into his Radian before securing A in his RSTV and making sure her son was buckled in the HB turbo. I might see if she is interested in one of my GNs since we have one we need to sell to fund the "elephant's seat".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC