Where to buy kids' sunglasses that don't suck?...

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I'm searching for toddler ones with a strap. My kids' faces are too small for the regular kind. We have a pair with the strap from target. I haven't seen them there since. I'd like some sunglasses just for the van.

Baby Banz and Kidz Banz are great!! My son had three pairs I think, maybe four. None of them broke. We lost one pair and on the other the coating flaked so they sent a new pair. The old pairs have since been passed down to friends' kids.

ADS

swtgi1982

I'm searching for toddler ones with a strap. My kids' faces are too small for the regular kind. We have a pair with the strap from target. I haven't seen them there since. I'd like some sunglasses just for the van.

Toys R Us has a fisher price line of toddler sunglasses, they fit my almost 5mon old just fine, so they should fit, and they are made to take a beating since they are for toddlers. I love them!

here they are
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=10&e=product&pid=54364

Wineaux

Julbo Looping are the best I've found for young ones (there are 3 sizes designed to fit infant to age 4). DD currently has the Looping 3's. They fit her last year at age 2.5 and still fit great this year at over 3.5. She doesn't use the strap but we did use it when she was an infant and had the Looping 1's. What I really like is there are no hinges to catch in their hair and it doesn't matter what way they put them on because there is no right side up. :thumbsup:

Sorry though, no solid black.

Looks like they've also got a new styles this year for ages 3-5, the Bubble DD needs a 2nd pair so I think I'll pick up a pair of the Bubble style.

ETA: various shopping sites where they can be found http://www.google.com/products?q=julbo looping&oe=utf-8 (includes REI, L.L. Bean, Amazon)
Optics Planet has the Looping 3's for $21.99 shipped! Thanks for that search link Techno. :D I think I'll be getting Ian a pair of those for his birthday so he'll have a good pair of shades to wear when he's outside playing on his new swing set. Our backyard is 100% full sun, and I really do want to protect his eyes. Especially as the deck is stacked against him for needing prescription glasses in the future...

mrs.christie

So do you think cheap pairs are safe? I bought a pair of clearance Circo's and some from Carter's and while only a few $$ I figured they have to test them for safety, right? The sticker on them said 100% uva/uvb protection.

Now I'm worried that I've damaged DD eyes already. I think I'll just order some from Julbo to be safe.

Wineaux

So do you think cheap pairs are safe? I bought a pair of clearance Circo's and some from Carter's and while only a few $$ I figured they have to test them for safety, right? The sticker on them said 100% uva/uvb protection.

Now I'm worried that I've damaged DD eyes already. I think I'll just order some from Julbo to be safe.

As Techno said, take them to an Optometrist and have them test them. I doubt they'll charge you for it. I'd try the one in your local grocery mega store like Walmart or Target then next time you are out. Just ask them to test how much UVA/UVB protection they really are providing.

mrs.christie

As Techno said, take them to an Optometrist and have them test them. I doubt they'll charge you for it. I'd try the one in your local grocery mega store like Walmart or Target then next time you are out. Just ask them to test how much UVA/UVB protection they really are providing.

Oh thanks, I missed that post!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Optics Planet has the Looping 3's for $21.99 shipped! Thanks for that search link Techno. :D I think I'll be getting Ian a pair of those for his birthday so he'll have a good pair of shades to wear when he's outside playing on his new swing set. Our backyard is 100% full sun, and I really do want to protect his eyes. Especially as the deck is stacked against him for needing prescription glasses in the future...
DD has the white/anise (white and lime green) right now and they are super cute. Looks like the other colours are $25.95 at Optics Planet, but if shipping is included that's a good price too.

For any Canadians reading and interested in ordering, I checked shipping costs at Optics Planet and they are #22.37 for UPS standard to Canada (supposedly includes duty/taxes/fees) and $19 for USPS Priority (which won't include duties/taxes/fees). So, still better for Canadians to order from outdoorgb.com but for U.S. folks, the price is nice. :thumbsup:

I have no idea if there are any testing requirements for kids' sunglasses. It would not surprise me that there was NOT any. Wineaux already covered taking them to your optometrist for UV testing.

The other thing to worry about is irregularities in the lenses and distortion. My prescription Oakley's broke last year and I had to buy a cheapy pair of sunglasses before we went to the lake and after finding the style I wanted, it took trying on 4 or 5 of that style before I found one that didn't make things look distorted at some part of the lens. Cheap lenses will scratch easier as well and looking through scratched lenses isn't good for your eyes.

kamesq

Just purchased 2 pairs of the Julbo sunglasses (Coach model) for $21.99/pair on OpticsPlanet.com. No tax, no shipping, and I found a 5% coupon by doing a simple online search. Thanks for the info!

Athena

Would you think the looping 3 size would fit a 3 1/2 yo with a smallish (~30th %) head? (I am unclear if age 2-4 means up to 48 months or inclusive of age 4.)

Care to share the 5% off code? :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Would you think the looping 3 size would fit a 3 1/2 yo with a smallish (~30th %) head? (I am unclear if age 2-4 means up to 48 months or inclusive of age 4.)

Care to share the 5% off code? :)
DD is just over 3.5 and they fit her last year at 2.5 and this year at 3.5. Her head is currently 19.5".

Last edited:

Athena

Thank you! I just measured and our DDs have the same head size! :) In fact, both my DDs (ages 3 1/2 yo and 22 mo) measure at about 19.5", so I am thinking of getting a pair for each of them.

Although I wonder, does it look like at that head size your DD is about to outgrow them? For us even at $22 a pair (* 2 pairs), this is a lot of money so, I'd hate to have them outgrow them next month. I see they have larger sizes, but I think they would do better with this little kid style, especially my toddler. Thanks!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thank you! I just measured and our DDs have the same head size! :) In fact, both my DDs (ages 3 1/2 yo and 22 mo) measure at about 19.5", so I am thinking of getting a pair for each of them.

Although I wonder, does it look like at that head size your DD is about to outgrow them? For us even at $22 a pair (* 2 pairs), this is a lot of money so, I'd hate to have them outgrow them next month. I see they have larger sizes, but I think they would do better with this little kid style, especially my toddler. Thanks!
She put them on a couple weeks ago and I thought they looked great, no danger of outgrowing them this summer. I'd like to double check before I give you that guarantee. :) They are at my parents house with her so I can't check until after work today.

Athena

She put them on a couple weeks ago and I thought they looked great, no danger of outgrowing them this summer. I'd like to double check before I give you that guarantee. :) They are at my parents house with her so I can't check until after work today.

That would be a huge help if you don't mind checking. Thank you!

Btw, do these sunglasses work with a bike helmet or do they get in the way? I am wondering what people do in that situation. I had not been worrying that much about using sunglasses, but after reading some articles about how important it is for kids to wear sunglasses, especially those with blue eyes, I am determined to do better with this.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Btw, do these sunglasses work with a bike helmet or do they get in the way? I am wondering what people do in that situation. I had not been worrying that much about using sunglasses, but after reading some articles about how important it is for kids to wear sunglasses, especially those with blue eyes, I am determined to do better with this.
DD wears her with her bike helmet all the time. :thumbsup: I put them on after I put the helmet on so the sunglasses go over the ear straps and not under. Her glasses have worked with both her helmets; a Giro Me2 and a Bern Nina.

Athena

DD wears her with her bike helmet all the time. :thumbsup: I put them on after I put the helmet on so the sunglasses go over the ear straps and not under. Her glasses have worked with both her helmets; a Giro Me2 and a Bern Nina.

That's great! We just got new helmets and ours look similar to the Giro Me2.

Thanks for all the info. I tried to rep you, but it says I have to spread it around.

Athena

I took the plunge and ordered two of the white/green pairs of looping 3s at opticsplanet.com for $41.78 total delivered!

I googled them and found one of those 5% off codes and was going to post it, but of course I have now forgotten the code.

Thanks for all the help!

Athena

It looks like we've already lost a pair. :crying: If anyone sees another deal on the Julbo Looping 3s, especially the white/anise (green) color, please let me know. TIA!

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It looks like we've already lost a pair. :crying: If anyone sees another deal on the Julbo Looping 3s, especially the white/anise (green) color, please let me know. TIA!
Awww, really? That is too bad! I still haven't ordered DD her pair of Julbo Bubbles yet so if I come across any good deals on the Loopings in my searches, I'll let you know!

Athena

Thank you! They've gone up at Opticsplanet and one pair wouldn't qualify for free shipping, but I might just have to do it anyway. I haven't found a better deal.

I can't believe we lost them, but I have spent hours looking for them over the past few days and they have not turned up. FWIW, I can't remember the last time we really lost anything of theirs so this is not normal, but I've looked everywhere at least twice and run out of places to look. :(

BTW, thanks for all the help and advice before we bought them. We were/are really happy with them. We got two pairs of looping 3s (one for each DD) and they fit them both great. They love them and have been wearing them a lot and they seem to be fairly indestructible. Now, if they only had a tracking device. :whistle:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am glad they are working out for you, well until the one pair got lost. :(

I'll actually be looking for Looping 3's now too as I just found out the Bubble has hinges which I didn't realize, and it's basically the same size as the Looping 3. So, I'm just going to get another pair of Looping 3's for DD. I'll let you know what I find.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC