Tried the Radian today...

So I went to try the Radian XTSL in my car today (a Beetle) and liked it but didn't *love* it.
I only tried it FF as there wasn't a shop employee able/willing/knowledgable enough to help me but she had no problem with me taking it out to my car to play with :thumbsup:

It looked great sitting on the seat but just didn't fit as nicely as I wanted it to... I don't have a top tether so have to do a seatbelt install (which is why I'm going with a Radian) but I just wasn't comfortable with this seat at all.. I have some pics which I will post in a few...

If the base of the seat was flat on the seat-part of the front was kind of hanging off of the vehicle seat but the top was nice and solid. If I pushed the seat back into the vehicle seat the top would move away almost an inch which I HATE so I REALLY needed someone to help me figure out how it would actually go in my car... :(

I am at a loss... I need all your help too, she said they can price match so could go pick it up there but it can't be Amazon, Ebay or a few other stores... it can't be certain coupon codes or something either but I think if Albee has it for say 15% off they will match that :confused:

I don't know... she was busy with other people buyig an Orbit system :rolleyes: and because I told her I'd like to check the fit with a CPST and realized I wasn't purchasing it for $299 plus tax today on the spot she just kind of ignored me after that and didn't even tell me the exact DOM of the ones in stock, she said if the display one is end of 09, the others should be too. I am tempted to not give them the business now because I was pretty much ignored in the store as I asked too may questions no one could answer and I didn't buy it then and there... :rolleyes:

ADS

Laurette

I wouldn't give my bussiness to a place that acted like that towards me either.

I wanted to point out that there is a small recline foot for use when in FFing mode. That might help the seat to fit better in your vehicle. I know that using it in my vehicle changes the way it installs.

Maedze

It looked great sitting on the seat but just didn't fit as nicely as I wanted it to... I don't have a top tether so have to do a seatbelt install (which is why I'm going with a Radian) but I just wasn't comfortable with this seat at all.. I have some pics which I will post in a few...

If the base of the seat was flat on the seat-part of the front was kind of hanging off of the vehicle seat but the top was nice and solid. If I pushed the seat back into the vehicle seat the top would move away almost an inch which I HATE so I REALLY needed someone to help me figure out how it would actually go in my car... :(

Can you clarify? It's actually a common install trick to pull the Radian away from the bight of the vehicle seat before tightening, to create a rock solid install. As long as the base is at least 80% on the vehicle seat, the overhang is not any kind of problem.

It sounds like, either way, you'd benefit meeting with a CPST in your area who is familiar with the Radian.

Can you clarify? It's actually a common install trick to pull the Radian away from the bight of the vehicle seat before tightening, to create a rock solid install. As long as the base is at least 80% on the vehicle seat, the overhang is not any kind of problem.

It sounds like, either way, you'd benefit meeting with a CPST in your area who is familiar with the Radian.

Ok, so I think you just answered my question. I did read the manual briefly and found the FF recline but that didn't seem to help much. I could get it more solid if the front of the base was somewhat over the edge of the vehicle seat but I didn't know if that was an acceptable install. I'm used to the RA not moving even a mm at the top or belt path so the Radian pulling away at the top by an inch just freaked me out.

I will 100% be finding a tech familiar with the Radian. I already called this morning and got the local managing lady's name and phone number because the local fire stations can't even install a SS1 without a base- in fact, they told me it was not possible! :thumbsdown:

:thumbsdown: Why not check the c-s.org list of techs?

Didn't know there was one! I was about to start a thread asking if any of you knew a good tech between here and Tampa as I drive down there a lot.

Where is this list? I would feel much better meeting with someone from the board.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC