Please help me decide about CARES!

Shaggy

I will be traveling with my 3 year old to Europe in May. We have a 2 hour internal flight, connection in Houston, and then a 9-10 hour trans-Atlantic overnight flight. For convenience I would really like to use a CARES harness and then a safety vest in the car at the other end. My other option is to buy a seat - probably a Maestro. Obviously all children are different but would you (or have you) put a 3 year in a CARES harness for such a long flight? I'm assuming she couldn't keep it on the whole time as she'd be too uncomfortable to sleep, but I don't like the thought of her being unrestrained. And then since she'll be overtired and grouchy at the landing I anticipate problems persuading her to put it back on.
I don't know - any thoughts anyone?
I really don't want to lug a stroller, a car seat, hand luggage and a 3 year old!
Many thanks.

Maybe I should have added...she's 32lbs and 39" tall. Not sure on the torso height - around 14" I think as she's just reaching the top slot on her scenera.

Last edited:
ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I flew to and from China (1hr flight, 11hr flight, 5hr flight) with my almost 3 year old (she turned 3 two weeks after we came home). I chose to use CARES instead of a carseat since we would not be using a carseat in China. Here is a picture of her using CARES:
claracares2.jpg

She was (is) tiny. I don't remember exact stats at that time, but somewhere around 23-24 pounds and 36 inches. She would not have fit if she had been much smaller.

She did sleep in the harness. I loosened the shoulder straps a little and she slumped against me and put her legs up on the other side of her, curled up and went to sleep.

aeormsby

My DD fell asleep with her Cares harness on a flight last week. A child sized neck pillow (one of those 'U' shaped ones) might have been nice for her to have, I don't think her seat was reclined at all. I've also put a folded jacket behind her back to give her a little more back support.

100_1058.JPG

I've been pretty happy with our Cares, we have a Safeguard GO that we take with for vehicles at our destination.

bella_1818

We have a CARES harness and I really like it for my son when he is awake. Having the extra straps makes him settle down in the plane, which is more pleasant for everyone. I really wished the CARES harness had a crotch strap though. When my son falls asleep, he starts to "melt" down the seat leaving the lap belt around his soft belly and the chest clip at his neck. I have to either keep pulling him back up or remove the harness after he has fallen asleep.

In this picture he is about 2.5 yr/ 28lb/ 37 inches

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC